Iron deficiency

Discussion in 'Messtafarian' started by messtafarian, Oct 10, 2013.

1. messtafarian

messtafarian Member

So all summer I have been battling and trying to figure out various health problems, which include anemia, fibroids, a thyroid nodule, high blood pressure and a hypertrophic ( enlarged) left ventricle of the heart muscle. I can't take thyroid medication because of my high blood pressure but I have absolutely tried to be meticulous with RP recommendations. So I eat coconut oil, take aspirin, eat sugar, niacinamide, magnesium, and milk products.

One thing I became really sure of was that I had too much iron in my system. I have anemia which doctors told me was from excessive bleeding, so I took outrageous amounts of iron for two years only to end up feeling worse than before and actually scared. After reading Peat I just stopped taking iron because I thought I was poisoning myself. The rest of the picture fit -- organ damage can be caused by iron overload; hypertension can be caused by iron overload, etc.

So I talked my doctor into testing to see how deficient I was in iron. If I was not deficient in iron, I reasoned, then this was not the reason for all my health problems.

So the labs say:

YES I am extremely iron deficient, and I was wrong. I am not iron overloaded, I am iron deficient. This can somewhat explain the hypertrophy since a heart has to work harder to pump blood through that is not oxygenated enough. I have no idea what the thyroid nodule is from but then neither does anybody.

So I'm back to square one with this iron thing. I have the choice now of trying to supplement iron, which I don't want to do since I reason that if it's bad to have I don't want to start loading it if it's deficient now. But my big question is -- is it really *bad* to be slightly anemic and iron deficient? Does iron deficiency allow other heavy metals to overload and is it better to try to fix the deficiency? I'm confused.

2. j.

j. Guest

Peat thinks anemia is often caused by hypothyroidism. Anemia caused by low iron is rare, he thinks. How to tell the two apart, I don't know.

3. OP
    messtafarian

messtafarian Member

This is genuine iron deficiency, according to labs. The thing I wonder is whether it's better to stay iron deficient given that RP thinks iron is poisonous; or better to try to supplement because the absence of iron means other heavy metals will take their place.

4. j.

j. Guest

I think that's a hard one. Maybe it deserves an email. My labs numbers are these, should I supplement iron?

My guess is that he'll say supplement thyroid. haha.

5. OP
    messtafarian

messtafarian Member

Sucks that all I have are hard questions, you know? Lol.