Iron Deficiency Anemia Due To High-dose Turmeric

olive

Iron Deficiency Anemia Due to High-dose Turmeric.
Smith TJ, et al. Cureus. 2019.
Iron Deficiency Anemia Due to High-dose Turmeric. - PubMed - NCBI

..”Turmeric was associated with significant iron deficiency anemia, consistent with the binding of available iron in the gut and the prevention of absorption.
..”

Turmeric could be a viable iron binding agent to take with meals high in iron (ie red meat) if one was attempting to limit iron intake. Turmeric seems safer than the go to option on this forum for limiting uptake of iron during a meal, coffee. As coffee can cause ammonia issues when combined with high protein foods (ie red meat).

Turmeric should also be avoided around those meals if one was suffering from low iron.

Last edited:

Adrienlcrx

Salut @olive
J'aime tes connaissances et tes idées, as-tu un site website where you givemore informations or something like that ?
Merci
Kind regards
Adrien

tankasnowgod

Iron Deficiency Anemia Due to High-dose Turmeric.
Smith TJ, et al. Cureus. 2019.
Iron Deficiency Anemia Due to High-dose Turmeric. - PubMed - NCBI

..”Turmeric was associated with significant iron deficiency anemia, consistent with the binding of available iron in the gut and the prevention of absorption.
..”

Turmeric could be a viable iron binding agent to take with meals high in iron (ie red meat) if one was attempting to limit iron intake. Turmeric seems safer than the go to option on this forum for limiting uptake of iron during a meal, coffee. As coffee can cause ammonia issues when combined with high protein foods (ie red meat).

Turmeric should also be avoided around those meals if one was suffering from low iron.

If Turmeric's action is by binding with iron in the gut, then it likely wouldn't make a difference with Red Meat, as that is Heme Iron. In fact, Vitamin C is known to bind with iron, and this is what makes it increase iron absorption in single meal challenge studies, but the effect is only on non-heme iron. If it does bind to free iron, however, it could possibly lower body iron stores over time, similarly to how Vitamin C apparently can.

burtlancast

Maybe one valid explanation of his anti-cancer properties ?

Oraganic4me

Maybe one valid explanation of his anti-cancer properties ?
Interesting correlation.... it makes sense!
Do you think all the different expensive formulations of Tumeric companies are selling as “more bio available “ is just hype and maybe supermarket turmeric should be good enough I would think...

BigChad

If Turmeric's action is by binding with iron in the gut, then it likely wouldn't make a difference with Red Meat, as that is Heme Iron. In fact, Vitamin C is known to bind with iron, and this is what makes it increase iron absorption in single meal challenge studies, but the effect is only on non-heme iron. If it does bind to free iron, however, it could possibly lower body iron stores over time, similarly to how Vitamin C apparently can.

I heard meat has both heme and non heme iron, and that vitamin a and heme iron increases non heme iron absorption

burtlancast

Do you think all the different expensive formulations of Tumeric companies are selling as “more bio available “ is just hype and maybe supermarket turmeric should be good enough I would think...

I havn't looked into it, but some acquaintances bought tumeric formulations and swear by it.

Some of these firms do have studies backing up improved absorption.

SOMO

I just use a lot of yellow mustard when I eat meat.

Turmeric by itself is gross, in the form of mustard it’s great.

BigChad

Black pepper is supposed to improve the absorption. The curcumin is an extract from turmeric that is believed to be responsible for most of its benefits. I heard it can rival pharmaceutical anti inflammatories. It may be safer to use regular turmeric

SOMO

Black pepper is supposed to improve the absorption. The curcumin is an extract from turmeric that is believed to be responsible for most of its benefits. I heard it can rival pharmaceutical anti inflammatories. It may be safer to use regular turmeric

Yes, black pepper increases the concentration of most other drugs but it does this by inhibiting liver enzymes responsible for estrogen excretion.

BigChad

Yes, black pepper increases the concentration of most other drugs but it does this by inhibiting liver enzymes responsible for estrogen excretion.

Yes i have seen it inhibits glucoridation and generally you want glucoridation to protect against cancers. Broccoli and calcium d glucarate are supposed to promote glucoridation so have the opposite effect of black pepper.

A selfhacked article with lists of things that reduce glucoridation didnt have much on it besides black pepper. Ive also heard it can lower testosterone

SOMO

Yes i have seen it inhibits glucoridation and generally you want glucoridation to protect against cancers. Broccoli and calcium d glucarate are supposed to promote glucoridation so have the opposite effect of black pepper.

A selfhacked article with lists of things that reduce glucoridation didnt have much on it besides black pepper. Ive also heard it can lower testosterone

It’s a shame because black pepper tastes so good. It has a unique taste and imparts spice to food without the downsides of Capsaicin.

I think finely ground pepper is probably worse than coarse cut pepper because if you’ve ever seen whole peppercorns, they’re indigestible and tough and probably contain insoluble fiber.

I also know that a small amount of chili peppers makes my stomach (and bowel movements) burn, but high amounts of black pepper do not.

I do still consume black pepper because it makes food more enjoyable, but less than I used to.

BigChad

It’s a shame because black pepper tastes so good. It has a unique taste and imparts spice to food without the downsides of Capsaicin.

I think finely ground pepper is probably worse than coarse cut pepper because if you’ve ever seen whole peppercorns, they’re indigestible and tough and probably contain insoluble fiber.

I also know that a small amount of chili peppers makes my stomach (and bowel movements) burn, but high amounts of black pepper do not.

I do still consume black pepper because it makes food more enjoyable, but less than I used to.

Do you think black seeds would have similar effects. What about black seeds vs their oil, would it be risky. It has thymoquinone, and is omega 6. I wonder if the seeds of it are indigestible, and if the oil has risks besides the omega 6 content

SOMO

Do you think black seeds would have similar effects. What about black seeds vs their oil, would it be risky. It has thymoquinone, and is omega 6. I wonder if the seeds of it are indigestible, and if the oil has risks besides the omega 6 content

You mean Black cumin/Nigella Sativa?

The quinones are definitely beneficial and yes, I think the seeds that are used as spices like peppercorns, allspice, caraway, fennel and black cumin in their whole form are a net positive. They all contain essential oils which are potent natural antibiotics, and as long as they are not ground much I think they pass largely indigested. You definitely don’t absorb any significant amount of PUFA from the seeds.

Actually even if you chew them a lot, they contain enzyme inhibitors that block the absorption of starch and other fibers in the seeds themselves.
I know RP is not a fan of most spices, but I think the processing of the spice makes a lot of difference.

I believe manufacturers have to use chemical solvents to get the oils out, but the spice itself it generally beneficial.

BigChad

You mean Black cumin/Nigella Sativa?

The quinones are definitely beneficial and yes, I think the seeds that are used as spices like peppercorns, allspice, caraway, fennel and black cumin in their whole form are a net positive. They all contain essential oils which are potent natural antibiotics, and as long as they are not ground much I think they pass largely indigested. You definitely don’t absorb any significant amount of PUFA from the seeds.

Actually even if you chew them a lot, they contain enzyme inhibitors that block the absorption of starch and other fibers in the seeds themselves.
I know RP is not a fan of most spices, but I think the processing of the spice makes a lot of difference.

I believe manufacturers have to use chemical solvents to get the oils out, but the spice itself it generally beneficial.

What if the oil is extracted using alcohol

Oraganic4me

Good to know ... wow.
Thank you

Tarmander

I remember reading on this forum about curcumin being similar in some way to fluoroquinolones, or some type of antibiotic. Can't find it now, but I remember back then it scared some of us off curcumin. @Amazoniac do you recall that study?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals