I Suffer From Iron Deficiency - How Do I Go About Dealing With This?

zes

My recent blood test result (last week) show that I am iron deficient. I searched up the symptoms of anaemia and it matched some of the things I'm experiencing: breathlessness, hair loss, fatigue etc. Been like this for a few years (I'm 20).

But previous blood tests never showed I was iron deficient. Now my doctor has prescribed me folic acid tablets of 5mg dose to take 1 per day alongside folic acid rich foods.

Do you know an supplementation or foods that could deplete iron or reduce its absorption? I am taking quite a few supplements now like thyroid, the fat soluble vitamins etc.

Wagner83

I think you should check haidut's posts on how to read iron blood panel just in case.

OP
Z

zes

cdg

My recent blood test result (last week) show that I am iron deficient. I searched up the symptoms of anaemia and it matched some of the things I'm experiencing: breathlessness, hair loss, fatigue etc. Been like this for a few years (I'm 20).

But previous blood tests never showed I was iron deficient. Now my doctor has prescribed me folic acid tablets of 5mg dose to take 1 per day alongside folic acid rich foods.

Do you know an supplementation or foods that could deplete iron or reduce its absorption? I am taking quite a few supplements now like thyroid, the fat soluble vitamins etc.

High copper can deplete iron. Should check if you are overdosed/exposed to much copper?

Constatine

Liver. You get vitamin A with iron. Plus I think it is safer than taking pure retinol due to the presence of retinol binding protein.

jaa

I had low ferretin 2 years ago (10ug/L). I increased that to 30 ug/L 6 months ago through diet. Then I started eating a few oysters a day. Now I'm at 50ug/L. So you could try that.

OP
Z

zes

I had low ferretin 2 years ago (10ug/L). I increased that to 30 ug/L 6 months ago through diet. Then I started eating a few oysters a day. Now I'm at 50ug/L. So you could try that.

So you improved your ferretin by eating oysters? Anything else in particular?

dbh25

I'd eat pate or liver sausage 2-3x / week.
Steel cut oatmeal has a little iron, as do some leafy greens like collards.

dbh25

I took 10mg liquid iron for a few weeks. Be sure to check iron levels again to see if it comes up.
Good luck.

jaa

So you improved your ferretin by eating oysters? Anything else in particular?

I eat a fair amount of red meat and liver as well, but that isn't what caused the rapid increase in ferretin. My levels were increasing about 10ug/L every 6-12 months from 2015 to the spring of this year on a diet of red meat, liver, and weekly oysters. In August I started eating 2-4 oysters almost daily and my numbers shot up by 20ug/L between March and October.

IP6one

If you are using a lot of dairy, that blocks absorption of iron. I have the opposite problem. I have hemochromatosis (HH) and the dairy helps me to knock down my ferritin count. Tea and coffee also block absorption as well as IP6 and milk thistle. Some say tumeric too but I have never tried it. Also, taking Vitamin C with meal greatly aids in iron absorption.

I eat a fair amount of red meat and liver as well, but that isn't what caused the rapid increase in ferretin. My levels were increasing about 10ug/L every 6-12 months from 2015 to the spring of this year on a diet of red meat, liver, and weekly oysters. In August I started eating 2-4 oysters almost daily and my numbers shot up by 20ug/L between March and October.
do you eat canned oysters? love some good oysters but they're expensive, hope i can stand the taste of canned ones