Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

tankasnowgod

Is 6" incline enough though?

Well, that's mainly the incline that Andrew Fletcher talks about. I think some of us go a little higher (I think I might be 7 or 8 inches), but some have noticed benefits from an even lower incline. But it would be nice if it included an 8 inch option.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

Is 6" incline enough though?
youll want to get your bed to at least a 5 degree angle, so the height will depend on the length of your bed. 6" is good for a twin or double but you'll want 7" for a queen or king.

Im pretty happy using two 4" PVC pipe slipped over the back legs. Maybe $5 and have more control over what height you want.

youll want to get your bed to at least a 5 degree angle, so the height will depend on the length of your bed. 6" is good for a twin or double but you'll want 7" for a queen or king.

Im pretty happy using two 4" PVC pipe slipped over the back legs. Maybe $5 and have more control over what height you want.

This method was from Terri Harrison in the US, who has been sleeping inclined and ms symptom free since late 90's. It is a very neat and stable method of inclining a bed. Plastic Pipe And Wooden Blocks Methods For Inclined Bed Therapy - Inclined Bed Therapy IBT - Restore & Support Your Health

Fractality

How can I elevate without a bed frame? I'm looking to get a new mattress but even when I get a new one I'm not 100% certain I'll use a bed frame. I know some will laugh at me for using a mattress without a frame but so be it.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

How can I elevate without a bed frame? I'm looking to get a new mattress but even when I get a new one I'm not 100% certain I'll use a bed frame. I know some will laugh at me for using a mattress without a frame but so be it.
do you have a box frame or just the mattress? if no box frame you'll have to build a platform out of wood to elevate. Maybe will still need to if box frame isnt very strong. the IBT website has a bunch of different methods to choose from

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Plywood wedge would work. Use non-slip fabric (type used to prevent rugs / mats from slipping) This goes between the plywood and the mattress to prevent it from sliding. Cross members screwed to the plywood, one at top and one in middle.

tara

I recommend having ventilation under a mattress, or if not, than lifting the mattress for airing at least every other day. Some kind of frame to lift it off the floor is good. If ply wood base, make sure it's got many and/or large holes in it.
Otherwise moisture can build up in and under the mattress leading to mould etc. I've seen more than one rotted out carpet where people have slept on mattresses on the floor. I don't think it does the mattress or sleeper good either.

I recommend having ventilation under a mattress, or if not, than lifting the mattress for airing at least every other day. Some kind of frame to lift it off the floor is good. If ply wood base, make sure it's got many and/or large holes in it.
Otherwise moisture can build up in and under the mattress leading to mould etc. I've seen more than one rotted out carpet where people have slept on mattresses on the floor. I don't think it does the mattress or sleeper good either.
Great idea. A core drill bit would make large holes with ease

biffbelvin

Slept with an incline last night for the first time. It took me an hour and a half to get to sleep which nett me just under 7 hours sleep. In spite of this, I woke up feeling as alert as I would with 8 hours sleep and, most importantly, the stiffness/weakness/pain in my legs was 50% what it would normally be in the morning.

It clearly has a profound improvement in circulation for me, which is very exciting.

The only downside is that I have another weird quirk to explain to the future wife.

Herbie

I realised whenever I go camping and sleep on the ground, I always place my head at the top of any incline on the ground, its an instinctual thing to do.

Fractality

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Good idea, though the mattress is on a wooden floor so I'm not sure if that concern still applies. Either way, I need to get a new mattress and probably a frame too.

I realised whenever I go camping and sleep on the ground, I always place my head at the top of any incline on the ground, its an instinctual thing to do.

This has been mentioned a lot over the years. Some have said they feel warmer when pitching the tent on an incline. Another story was about a group of climbers stuck on a snow covered mountain, where they were expected to have died from hypothermia. (News article) They all survived.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This has been mentioned a lot over the years. Some have said they feel warmer when pitching the tent on an incline. Another story was about a group of climbers stuck on a snow covered mountain, where they were expected to have died from hypothermia. (News article) They all survived.
I'm curious if anyone has mentioned it helping with menopausal night sweats? I haven't had any at all since sleeping inclined but I had reduced them already with other measures.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks!
This is huge IMO. It's so simple and basically free. Considering we spend around 1/4-1/3 of each 24 hour day in bed that's quite a large chunk of time you can assist your body's healing and repair. It seems worth it to try for just about anyone.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I was talking to my dad about it yesterday and I think he's going to try it out. He asked the million dollar question, "wonder why people even started sleeping flat?"

tankasnowgod

Another thing I'm starting to notice, just as Andrew pointed out.... some of the lunula on my fingernails (the "half moons") are starting to re-appear. I had them on my thumbs, and on 3 fingers on my right hand, but barely. Now, I am noticing two fingers on my left hand are starting to get them, too. Really, really cool to see an indicator like this. I'll certainly keep track of this, maybe will take a few pictures today to monitor over time.

Fractality

Another thing I'm starting to notice, just as Andrew pointed out.... some of the lunula on my fingernails (the "half moons") are starting to re-appear. I had them on my thumbs, and on 3 fingers on my right hand, but barely. Now, I am noticing two fingers on my left hand are starting to get them, too. Really, really cool to see an indicator like this. I'll certainly keep track of this, maybe will take a few pictures today to monitor over time.

What do the lunulas represent healthwise?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals