Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Runenight201

So the rationale for sleeping siting down isn't for comfort, but rather for decreased lung expansion and increased oxygen utilization and increased body CO2 levels, therefore producing a healthier sleep. I don't know how much merit this has, and in fact, thinking about it some more, I'm not sure if its the move.

Apes reveal secrets to good sleep

Some Duke scientists investigated the sleeping patterns of orangutans vs baboons, and noticed that the orangutans had deeper, more restful sleep, because they constructed sleeping platforms where they could lay down, vs sleeping on their bums like baboons do. They also noticed that the baboons seemed to sleep like a paranoid creature, being able to rise at a moments notice.

I think the ability to get deep, restful sleep, plays nicely into having a pro-metabolic effect. Thyroid hormone is the anti-stress, abundance hormone, and surely, sleeping in a safe, secure environment (being able to lay down, completely vulnerable should your habitat be compromised) would encourage more thyroid and less stress hormones as compared to sleeping in a paranoid, light state, like how the baboon sleeps, sitting down, ready to move at a moments notice. It would be interesting if they were able to run thyroid and blood tests on the baboons and orangutans, and see which one was more pro-metabolic!

So all that being said, I think it might be worth trying out the inclined bed + stomach sleeping, all in the name of better health!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Runenight201, Raising the head of the bed to a minimum of 30 degrees is common practice in hospitals for people with heart/lung issues, sleep apnea and to reduce the risk for pneumonia. That position does help keep the airway open as opposed to a supine position for many people. I'm thinking IBT sounds even better than just raising the upper body though.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

Has anyone tried sleeping planked face-down in a sort of open-body (and face) massage table? Instead of having blood pool to either side of the body when sleeping on one's side, this would circulate it in balanced proportions and more to the frontal lobe, eyes and so on during sleep which might be a refreshing biological change to sleeping on one's back, which often risks sleep paralysis. If such a table existed it could be inclined too, of course.
Sleeping on your face (either face down or on your side) supposedly can give you deep sleep lines and wrinkles. Back sleeping avoids that and also is supposedly best for your back. An inclined bed makes it much easier to do.
So the rationale for sleeping siting down isn't for comfort, but rather for decreased lung expansion and increased oxygen utilization and increased body CO2 levels, therefore producing a healthier sleep. I don't know how much merit this has, and in fact, thinking about it some more, I'm not sure if its the move.

Apes reveal secrets to good sleep

Some Duke scientists investigated the sleeping patterns of orangutans vs baboons, and noticed that the orangutans had deeper, more restful sleep, because they constructed sleeping platforms where they could lay down, vs sleeping on their bums like baboons do. They also noticed that the baboons seemed to sleep like a paranoid creature, being able to rise at a moments notice.

I think the ability to get deep, restful sleep, plays nicely into having a pro-metabolic effect. Thyroid hormone is the anti-stress, abundance hormone, and surely, sleeping in a safe, secure environment (being able to lay down, completely vulnerable should your habitat be compromised) would encourage more thyroid and less stress hormones as compared to sleeping in a paranoid, light state, like how the baboon sleeps, sitting down, ready to move at a moments notice. It would be interesting if they were able to run thyroid and blood tests on the baboons and orangutans, and see which one was more pro-metabolic!

So all that being said, I think it might be worth trying out the inclined bed + stomach sleeping, all in the name of better health!
nice bit of sleuthing/reasoning.

couldn't help but notice that apes also like IBT.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

I wonder if there could be a connection between this and Buteyko's investigation into lung volume and enhanced body oxygenation? I've meant for a while to try sleeping sitting down, as apparently when you are in an upright posture, or sleeping face down, your lung's can't expand as much, forcing your body to become more efficient with the amount of oxygen it does receive, increasing body CO2 levels... and we all know how beneficial CO2 is! As a back sleeper, I definitely always wake up with a dry mouth, and I can tell my mouth is gaping open as I sleep, but I can't behind wearing a chin strap, it's so uncomfortable.... I wonder if the upright bed might work by making it harder for the mouth to open in the sleep.

So I'm not sure where to proceed, whether I should learn to sleep on my stomach, sleep sitting down, sleep on a recliner, or prop my bed up....I think learning how to sleep siting down or on my stomach may confer the most advantages, provided it's just as effective as propping the bed up for bettering health, because then it truly makes oneself most versatile to their environment. It's nice to be able to prop up your own bed, but what about when you travel, spend the night at a friend's house, go camping, or get stranded out in the woods for 3 nights because Rodrigo promised you a paid for trip to Mexico if you helped him smuggle some drugs across the border?
sleeping sitting up would also put unnecessary stress/pressure on all of your internal organs. You could always pull the sheet over your head for better CO2

smith

Sleeping on your face (either face down or on your side) supposedly can give you deep sleep lines and wrinkles. Back sleeping avoids that and also is supposedly best for your back. An inclined bed makes it much easier to do.
You didn't fully read my post or comprehend it, seeing as how you supposedly missed the part about "open"
(pardon my thread-jacking)

Last edited:

Runenight201

Smith I’ve often thought about that myself! This way it’d be safer on the neck . I’ve placed a pillow underneath my hips which has helped a lot taking the pressure off my low back. I’ve had to go chug some maple syrup and oj for extra energy for relearning this sleeping posture!

I know for a fact that as a kid I use to sleep face down and never had sleeping problems. I began sleeping face up as a teen because it’s “better for my back” but that’s when my sleep paralysis and insomnia began X.X Stomach sleeping is also better for apnea, as it doesn’t allow for the throat to collapse in itself. I think the key is to have good metabolic function and a strong, mobile body combined with low back support while sleeping so that the inherent extra stress on the low back due to prone sleeping doesn’t become a problem.

smith

I began sleeping face up as a teen because it’s “better for my back” but that’s when my sleep paralysis and insomnia began X.X
I sometimes forget that it's a complete non-issue for a lot of people in the public. But for the rest who are familiar, side-sleeping seems to be the universal solution. Hopefully it doesn't kill us for not obeying the laws of our lord and savior Inclined Bed Therapy

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

You didn't fully read my post or comprehend it, seeing as how you supposedly missed the part about "open"
(pardon my thread-jacking)
Sorry James Joyce. I comprehended your post just fine. I don’t think you comprehend how an “open” massage table supports the head. It uses your face. And isn't very comfortable.

Runenight201

Came across this write up by an physiotherapist that studies resting patterns in tribal peoples as well as apes. Very interesting observations and something that I will be personally applying to my life. It makes complete sense to me, and to be honest, I'm now beginning to view pillows, chairs, and sofas as toxic to health as polyunsaturated fats! We have the ability to flexible, pain-free, full of energy, and I believe that these modern comforts we have soften, weaken, and immobilize us, preventing us from living a life as full and pain-free as possible, completely disconnecting us with our natural selves. Squatting, prone- laying, climbing, crawling, its what PRIMATES do, and we rarely do any of it! No wonder we have so much musculoskeletal pain in our lives. Working out for an hour and then spending the next 23 sitting on your bum indoors getting blasted by blue light just won't cut it! We need sunlight, we need earth, we need soil, grass, trees, fruit, vegetation, flesh, fresh air, motion, mobility, I believe all of these greatly contribute to a euthyroid state, proper physiological function, healthy mental states, and greater life.

Instinctive sleeping and resting postures: an anthropological and zoological approach to treatment of low back and joint pain

tankasnowgod

Came across this write up by an physiotherapist that studies resting patterns in tribal peoples as well as apes. Very interesting observations and something that I will be personally applying to my life. It makes complete sense to me, and to be honest, I'm now beginning to view pillows, chairs, and sofas as toxic to health as polyunsaturated fats! We have the ability to flexible, pain-free, full of energy, and I believe that these modern comforts we have soften, weaken, and immobilize us, preventing us from living a life as full and pain-free as possible, completely disconnecting us with our natural selves. Squatting, prone- laying, climbing, crawling, its what PRIMATES do, and we rarely do any of it! No wonder we have so much musculoskeletal pain in our lives. Working out for an hour and then spending the next 23 sitting on your bum indoors getting blasted by blue light just won't cut it! We need sunlight, we need earth, we need soil, grass, trees, fruit, vegetation, flesh, fresh air, motion, mobility, I believe all of these greatly contribute to a euthyroid state, proper physiological function, healthy mental states, and greater life.

Instinctive sleeping and resting postures: an anthropological and zoological approach to treatment of low back and joint pain

Well, excessive sitting in chairs and sofas can certainly cause issues. But I don't think pillows are bad. In fact, Andrew Fletcher even mentions that it can be common practice in hospitals to remove pillows from dying patients to accelerate their death, and this practice is banned by the Jewish Code of Medical Ethics- The removal of pillows to Hasten the deaths of terminally ill patients

crestind

I tried a slight incline once (did not measure). Was a bit tough to fall asleep at first. Sleep varied between deeper some nights or much lighter other nights. Less consistent essentially. One thing that was different, the dreams were much more vivid, and the sleep phase itself was not as deep? That was my subjective experience.

My guess is, the better shape your body is in, the less incline you would need or even benefit from. The worse health or older age you are in, the more you would benefit from this technique.

Sheila

Dear Blossom et al,
We have trialled both a fully-inclined bed per Mr Fletcher's findings and a bed which raises the head only to varying degrees. For me, the fully inclined bed seems best as otherwise the head-end only incline seems to put pressure through the hips as the body bends with the bed so to speak (despite a firm, thick, new mattress). Further, spider naevii and other mild oestrogen skin signs are once again reappearing suggesting that circulation with head-end inclination is not as good for me, at least, as full inclination. It is my intention to revert to full inclination in September and test that again for another three months as it seems to take some time to see benefits/problems etc.
Best regards
Sheila

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you for the helpful update @Sheila. My inner guidance tells me that a full body incline would be better for most although I see where it might be challenging in a hospital setting with severely debilitated people who are sometimes confused and prone to falling.
We have had only 2 nights so far with a slight full bed incline and I must say I find it more comfortable than being flat. I noticed my husband's snoring is virtually gone with this small change. I also had lots of dreams last night. My goal over the long term is improvement in my cervical radiculopathy. I've been fortunate so far to avoid conventional medical treatments but I'm holding out hope for complete healing of the tissue in that area.

tankasnowgod

Thank you for the helpful update @Sheila. My inner guidance tells me that a full body incline would be better for most although I see where it might be challenging in a hospital setting with severely debilitated people who are sometimes confused and prone to falling.
We have had only 2 nights so far with a slight full bed incline and I must say I find it more comfortable than being flat. I noticed my husband's snoring is virtually gone with this small change. I also had lots of dreams last night. My goal over the long term is improvement in my cervical radiculopathy. I've been fortunate so far to avoid conventional medical treatments but I'm holding out hope for complete healing of the tissue in that area.

Awesome, Blossom! (ha!) It's great to have some instant positives.... Very similar for me, so it certainly made it easier to do a longer term commitment.

I also had the feeling that it was more comfortable and natural than being flat. I was thinking (long term) that it would be cool to have an incline sofa (Which, I guess, would just be like a comfy triangle). Thought that would be a pretty cool way to watch TV if you had a TV mounted high and angled, like where the wall meets the ceiling (though I'm not watching any TV these days, anyway).

I there might be a good chance you see some improvement in the cervical radiculopathy. I have some nerve damage from a surgery a few years ago, and, while it was very minor, it seems to have improved since starting to sleep inclined.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I was thinking (long term) that it would be cool to have an incline sofa (
I was thinking about that too!
there might be a good chance you see some improvement in the cervical radiculopathy.
Great! It's supposedly common in my line of work and came on in January while I was still working nights. The best relief I've had so far was from a 5% lidocaine patch. I usually just take aspirin if it's bothering me but it would be the BEST if it were gone for good. I certainly hope your nerve damage repairs from sleeping inclined!

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Fractality

I've seen that, and it looks like it would be pretty good..... though more expensive than the bricks I'm using (still reasonable). I'd probably like to get something like that eventually. It would be nice to put the headboard back on my bed.

Is 6" incline enough though?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals