Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

Velve921

@Velve921 Thanks for reporting in. It's not unusual for people to experience relief from back pain after only 1 night on IBT. I think it will be advantageous to rotate during the night rather than stay in one position. I saw a post about hanging, which recommended having feet on floor when doing it, so it raises the pelvis slightly. It seems to work better.

Confused about sleeping vertical, could you show a picture so we can see what you mean?
@Velve921 Thanks for reporting in. It's not unusual for people to experience relief from back pain after only 1 night on IBT. I think it will be advantageous to rotate during the night rather than stay in one position. I saw a post about hanging, which recommended having feet on floor when doing it, so it raises the pelvis slightly. It seems to work better.

Confused about sleeping vertical, could you show a picture so we can see what you mean?

Andrew,

My apologies for the delay. Attached is a picture of the curvy pillow positioned on my bed. I lay face down on top of that.

Attachments

• IBT.JPG
    IBT.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 49
Andrew,

My apologies for the delay. Attached is a picture of the curvy pillow positioned on my bed. I lay face down on top of that.

Now I understand better, your pillow runs from head to toe, which would add a lot of padding to support you.

Queequeg

the ultimate in Inclined Bed technology. Adult version soon to come.

Velve921

Detox affects could be one reason and possibly the way you are sitting, or if you have a desk job? Try adding extra cushion to raise your seat so that your knees are slightly lower than your seat, or at least level with it.

Are you doing more during the daytime?

Another thought is that during the first few weeks after inclining, our muscles tend to ache as if we have been working out. Muscles become denser over the following months.

What's your experience with muscle gain from IBT?

Velve921

So I have to update everyone.... I am not sure if any of you have read my posts on the forum about excessive urination. It started 8 years ago and ever since I would always wake up multiple times per night; at one point I was urinating 70 times a day and that's what brought me to ray peat. Well, I've been IBT for 5 nights. Last night was the first night since college that I did not wake up to urinate. The night before, I may have 1x but can't remember. I've been working profusely on fixing this for years.... Thanks to everyone on the forum for always continued support!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So I have to update everyone.... I am not sure if any of you have read my posts on the forum about excessive urination. It started 8 years ago and ever since I would always wake up multiple times per night; at one point I was urinating 70 times a day and that's what brought me to ray peat. Well, I've been IBT for 5 nights. Last night was the first night since college that I did not wake up to urinate. The night before, I may have 1x but can't remember. I've been working profusely on fixing this for years.... Thanks to everyone on the forum for always continued support!
:woo :grouphug

Velve921

4 day update: One downside I am finding is that my once resolved sciatica is starting to come back. This is surprising as I would think that the slight traction of the bed would open up the disks and relieve any pressure, not add to them. On the positive side I am breathing much better and don't have as much congestion as Burt mentioned above. Seems my sleep is deeper and I definitely feel better rested.

I posted this picture in another caption... Sleeping on the Curvy Pillow while my bed is at an incline has given me the best decompression of my spine since I can remember. I sleep face down on top.

Attachments

• IBT.JPG
    IBT.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 12

Cirion

Are you in winter? What’s your room temp? Recently my temps are up, but now I’m in summer...

I'm in winter yeah. Looks like room temp plays a factor. I started making it cooler (66) because I was getting hot in the sleeping bag. I then woke up at 97.8F body temp. Last night I brought it back up to 70F in the house, which caused me to wake up at 98.1F. Some what of a Band-Aid fix for now, until I can stabilize my body temps where I want them (still need a trick to boost my waking temp another 0.5F...)

Peata

Most of my adult years, I've been using a pillow under the back of my knees when sleeping on my back. It takes pressure off the lower back (where I have problems). But on an inclined bed on your back, are you supposed to let your legs lie flat and not use a pillow under them?

Most of my adult years, I've been using a pillow under the back of my knees when sleeping on my back. It takes pressure off the lower back (where I have problems). But on an inclined bed on your back, are you supposed to let your legs lie flat and not use a pillow under them?
Yes, best to remove that pillow on IBT I have a friend locally who despite numerous attempts to reason with her, continues to do this and has trouble with her knees and now has had to have replacements. Try placing a pillow roll under your curve in your spine instead.

"A long time ago, I visited a morgue and a guy I was with, asked if he could see inside the fridge. I saw 3 elderly ladies who had passed all on their backs with knees up in the air. I asked why they were in this posture and the reply was that rigor-mortise had set in and they would become supple again so that the legs can be placed flat. I said, Yes I understand this process but why are they all in this position? He replied, this is the most common position for people who have died."

Just six weeks ago, Jessica Shainberg, 15, woke up with no feeling below her waist.

"She was very calm," her father, Jeff Shainberg, told ABC News. "I didn’t believe her at first, [I said] 'You gotta wake your legs up and we got to go to school.'"

Days earlier, Jessica had felt tingling in her legs, but after a trip to the emergency room, doctors found no signs of anything serious and sent her home, Jeff Shainberg said. But now they family was headed back to the hospital.

Teen Who Woke Up Paralyzed Now Walking and Running Again

It turns out that one day, at the ripe, young age of 25, you can wake up from a rather unpleasant dream you were having, roll around in bed in your Brooklyn apartment and curiously, not be able to move your legs.

For me, that was Sunday, March 31st, although as I would later mention to a multitude of doctors, nurses, students nurses and physical therapists, I started feeling what I think were related symptoms the day or two before.

I woke up one morning and couldn’t move my legs – This Happened to Me – Medium

Velve921

Okay, I have been doing Inclined Bed Therapy for 2 weeks now, and really like it. Apparently, in the first few weeks or so, you can have transient aches and pains, and some swelling. I have indeed gotten some minor aches (in my back), and this is likely due to the slight traction. But, those aches are similar to a day after weight lifting..... almost a pleasant soreness. I'm sure this is due to the slight traction.

Circulation has been awesome. My body is warmer all over when I wake up in the morning, especially hands and feet. This was a bit of an issue before. I think, over time, I will be able to get off all thyroid medication, with just occasional use, not daily. Digestion has also improved, albeit slightly. I've also noticed I've been dreaming more over these two weeks, including one very vivid dream. My joints also seem better lubricated. Especially my right knee. I was beginning to worry about it a bit, but it seems much more functional now.

Really excited about this. Will update in a few weeks, and some take up to 4 weeks or so to adapt.

Since following Dr. Peat my dreams have exponentially become more wild and vivid. However, since IBT over the past 5 nights....I've had full vivid adventures. It's been pretty wild.

Peata

Yes, best to remove that pillow on IBT I have a friend locally who despite numerous attempts to reason with her, continues to do this and has trouble with her knees and now has had to have replacements. Try placing a pillow roll under your curve in your spine instead.

"A long time ago, I visited a morgue and a guy I was with, asked if he could see inside the fridge. I saw 3 elderly ladies who had passed all on their backs with knees up in the air. I asked why they were in this posture and the reply was that rigor-mortise had set in and they would become supple again so that the legs can be placed flat. I said, Yes I understand this process but why are they all in this position? He replied, this is the most common position for people who have died."
Thank you!

DISCUSSION We evaluated the biomechanical effects on the LC-EF of different sitting postures on the LC-EF. Results show that posture significantly influenced spirometric parameters in tested subjects. The flow-volume loop is widely used in clinical practice to assess lung function for the condition of airways and the strength of the respiratory muscles. The PEF reflects and measures the rate of flow from the large airways; it is also affected by the strength of the thoracic and abdominal muscles and the degree of muscular effort generated by the subject.20 The FVC is the total volume of air exhaled with maximal effort. FEF25%–75% is the flow rates at the corresponding percentage point of the FVC exhaled, and indicate the function of small or distal airways.19 The results of lumbar lordosis in this study are, in general, consistent with other published studies.22-26. In parallel with Subjects’ improved respiratory performance in the WO-BPS sitting posture over performances in the normal sitting posture. Although there is no evidence in the literature that changes in lumbar lordosis and kyphosis have significant influence on lung function, we think that these significant differences in lumbar lordosis in different postures may account for the changes in pulmonary capacity between the postures we tested. A shape change in any one of these curvatures will cause compensatory changes in the others to help maintain balance and conserve muscular energy.27 adjustments to spinal alignment may change the volume of air available to the lung and/or influence the efficacy of contraction of the diaphragm and other respiratory muscles. Therefore, an increase in spinal lordosis in the lumbar region is likely to induce a decrease in thoracic kyphosis, thus giving the ribcage greater room to expand during inspiration.21 in this study, lumbar curve more in WO-BPS with lumbar curve than the normal sitting posture. CONCLUSION By this study, we can say that WO-BPS with lumbar curve is better option for patients of SCI, sitting for prolong period of time because in this position improve the lung function in SCI patients than normal sitting posture. The WO-BPS with lumbar support sitting posture show significant improvement in FVC, PEFR, FEV1 and increasing values of FEF25-75% but it is not statistically significant. The following are recommendation for future study: 1. Including upper thoracic level of SCI patients and cervical level also. 2. To evaluate postural change effect on lung function particular in WO-BPS with lumbar curve, over a longer period of time by full wheelchair users with SCI patients.
http://njmr.in/uploads/2-2_165-168...._i22v7HJCBaEh0BuuKcMxdgaMJj1Seg7y8IGPCVSeKqCQ

Note: The image examples of wheelchair posture shown, do not relate to normal wheelchair posture, which is normally designed to tilt you back into the seat, with knees raised.

tankasnowgod

I had a local furniture maker make me this bed using beautiful Belizian hardwood. The sides were raised a bit to contain mattress...was not expensive...love it.

Awesome. I think I will do this same thing the next time I purchase a bed.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I had a local furniture maker make me this bed using beautiful Belizian hardwood. The sides were raised a bit to contain mattress...was not expensive...love it.
Nice! :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals