Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have an unusual report but here it is. I'm interested in @andrewkfletcher's insight or if he has has any reports of anything similar. I remember he said some people gain pounds but not inches indicating increased bone or muscle density. My weight hasn't gone up but when I unpacked my winter clothes I noticed they were loose so I took my measurements and low and behold the waist and hip measurements are 1 inch smaller than when I got married almost 20 years ago and yet my weight I'd guess at 15 pounds more than back then. I only remember my measurements from that time because the seamstress commented on my voluptuous hips!:lol:
Edit: I thought about it further and I have lost weight since last wearing my winter clothes in April of this year but not a significant amount since starting IBT in August. It does seem to have had a positive impact on body composition.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

I have an unusual report but here it is. I'm interested in @andrewkfletcher's insight or if he has has any reports of anything similar. I remember he said some people gain pounds but not inches indicating increased bone or muscle density. My weight hasn't gone up but when I unpacked my winter clothes I noticed they were loose so I took my measurements and low and behold the waist and hip measurements are 1 inch smaller than when I got married almost 20 years ago and yet my weight I'd guess at 15 pounds more than back then. I only remember my measurements from that time because the seamstress commented on my voluptuous hips!:lol:
Edit: I thought about it further and I have lost weight since last wearing my winter clothes in April of this year but not a significant amount since starting IBT in August. It does seem to have had a positive impact on body composition.

This testimonial is fantastic. Every. Single. Word.

I have listened to lot's of Andrew's interviews, and he has certainly reported this effect before, that weight stays the same, but measurements go down. So essentially swapping out fat for muscle and/or bone while you sleep.

Birdie

I started the IBT by using books to elevate the headboard. Then I got somebody to build a gradual rise under the boxsprings. That was about 2 1/2". My bed is 72 inches long. After some time, maybe two years or so, last week I got the wooden blocks (thanks @tara) from amazon. Now I have about 5 inches of rise.

After adding the blocks, my first night I awakened with a stressed feeling, head felt bloated, maybe difficulty breathing feeling too. I got up and read for a while and went back to bed. However, the weather had changed at the same time so, this might have happened if I were sleeping flat.

I do notice my fingers are a little swollen and hurting. I already had Dupuytren's Contracture which I'm working on...
The swelling doesn't alarm me. Just noting it and expect that will improve.

But, it's been a few days now and I'm sleeping better with a few wakeups that don't seem to bother sleep quality. I feel more relaxed with the added incline I think.
I like it.

I'm still taping my mouth too.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This testimonial is fantastic. Every. Single. Word.

I have listened to lot's of Andrew's interviews, and he has certainly reported this effect before, that weight stays the same, but measurements go down. So essentially swapping out fat for muscle and/or bone while you sleep.
Thanks @tankasnowgod. I appreciate you sharing what you’ve read!
Best wishes @Birdie. I had some slightly intense but short lived random pains when I first went to a full incline but they resolved quickly. I’ve not had anything like that after the first few weeks so I assume it was just something healing. :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I did the 7 inches suggest for a queen bed but it was a bit too much, backed off about an inch and a half so down to 5 1/2 inches and that seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I did the 7 inches suggest for a queen bed but it was a bit too much, backed off about an inch and a half so down to 5 1/2 inches and that seems to be the sweet spot for me.
I’m at 6 inches with a queen size bed so I suppose I’m not actually at a full incline after all but it seems just right.

Birdie

Thanks @Blossom !
Yes, I'm willing to wait it out. I figure in two months I'll know how things are responding.
Feeling patient and almost optimistic.

B

Braveheart

[QUOTE="Elephanto,
In your experience, does it really take a 5 degree angle to get most benefits or can it be just as effective with a little less inclination for some people ?

It's ok to go slightly lower, I guess finding your own comfort zone is good, though a five degree angle does appear to hit the nail on the head.[/QUOTE]

Set my bed up with 6 inch riser at head but then wondered about angle?...isn't this 5 degree angle the most important part of this?...now looking at foot of my bed... if it were higher there would be less incline, true? Sorry, am a little dense/slow about the simplest things after stroke...and yet can do some things now I could never do before?!! I need to get this angle?

moss

It's ok to go slightly lower, I guess finding your own comfort zone is good, though a five degree angle does appear to hit the nail on the head.

Set my bed up with 6 inch riser at head but then wondered about angle?...isn't this 5 degree angle the most important part of this?...now looking at foot of my bed... if it were higher there would be less incline, true? Sorry, am a little dense/slow about the simplest things after stroke...and yet can do some things now I could never do before?!! I need to get this angle?[/QUOTE]

You are not dense bzmazu. I used 6 inch raisers, 4 inch in the middle and 2 inch at the foot of the bed thinking that was a 5 degree angle :roll:
Now I have 6 inch raisers at the head of the bed with books under to raise bed to 7 inch (Queen size), 3 inch blocks of wood in the middle and the foot of the bed is sitting in direct contact with the floor on non slip matting.
@Blossom that is an interesting report and I also experienced some short live aches and pains which have now dissipated and I have only been doing IBT for 6 weeks.
@Birdie I don't want to derail thread but I am interested in your Duputytrens Contracture and what may be working for you? My father had operations on both hands, one finger was almost as prominent as the actor Bill Nighy and now he is now able to stretch his hands out no problems.
I notice I am clipping my fingernails more regularly since starting IBT.

B

Braveheart

Thank you Moss...it makes sense, for the 6/7 inch rise to work, the foot has to be on the floor...then I guess, that gives you the 5 degree angle...unless you have some way of measuring angles for different heights of foot.

moss

Thank you Moss...it makes sense, for the 6/7 inch rise to work, the foot has to be on the floor...then I guess, that gives you the 5 degree angle...unless you have some way of measuring angles for different heights of foot.

That's how I have modified my bed, the actual base of bed (foot end) on floor with no raise, (and foot in bed :p:)
@andrewkfletcher is the best person to ask about degrees/angles.

tankasnowgod

ved at that using a closed loo

That's about the right height to get the angle. If you really want to measure, you can get an inclinometer. I think they even make apps for your phone. Although, that's probably not necessary. Even around that angle, you'll get benefits to your circulatory systems, digestive systems, and the slight traction to help out your spine. If it's been a month and you're noticing benefits, no need to really adjust anything.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think husband used a carpenter's square to measure the degree/angle of incline.:bucktooth:

moss

ved at that using a closed loo

Maybe I'm dense, what does that mean? :think:

That's about the right height to get the angle. If you really want to measure, you can get an inclinometer. I think they even make apps for your phone. Although, that's probably not necessary. Even around that angle, you'll get benefits to your circulatory systems, digestive systems, and the slight traction to help out your spine. If it's been a month and you're noticing benefits, no need to really adjust anything.
Yeah I agree.
I think husband used a carpenter's square to measure the degree/angle of incline.:bucktooth:
:thumbsup:

Birdie

Set my bed up with 6 inch riser at head but then wondered about angle?...isn't this 5 degree angle the most important part of this?...now looking at foot of my bed... if it were higher there would be less incline, true? Sorry, am a little dense/slow about the simplest things after stroke...and yet can do some things now I could never do before?!! I need to get this angle?

You are not dense bzmazu. I used 6 inch raisers, 4 inch in the middle and 2 inch at the foot of the bed thinking that was a 5 degree angle :roll:
Now I have 6 inch raisers at the head of the bed with books under to raise bed to 7 inch (Queen size), 3 inch blocks of wood in the middle and the foot of the bed is sitting in direct contact with the floor on non slip matting.
@Blossom that is an interesting report and I also experienced some short live aches and pains which have now dissipated and I have only been doing IBT for 6 weeks.
@Birdie I don't want to derail thread but I am interested in your Duputytrens Contracture and what may be working for you? My father had operations on both hands, one finger was almost as prominent as the actor Bill Nighy and now he is now able to stretch his hands out no problems.
I notice I am clipping my fingernails more regularly since starting IBT.[/QUOTE]
Mine is a very early case. It was my profession to notice these things, so I've seen it early. Since the thing hit me personally, I've been looking to see other people's experiences and see a lot of problems with surgery as well as other measures. Have to admit that I'm not too motivated. !! Hopefully I can keep in touch with you. I probably turned off the PM thing after somebody went on quite a bit and I spent too much time trying to help. Thank you. Hope to find out what your father did.

Birdie

No idea how the above happened. Think I replied the usual way.

Birdie

I’m at 6 inches with a queen size bed so I suppose I’m not actually at a full incline after all but it seems just right.
I'm in a full sized bed but did the first bed raise long enough ago, that I've forgotten the exact measurement. Now, with this latest 2-3 inch block added, I just know it's adding up to ~ 5 1/2 inches. I'd like to have increased just 1 inch at a time, but time and $$. Had to get somebody to do it.

My fingers have been swelling during sleep since I added the blocks. Both hands. I mention that because my left arm is straight downwards, while the right is usually upwards when I face to the right sleeping on my tummy. (I try to shift during the night if I drift awake. Figure it's better to move around some. )

So, it's not making a difference hand position above or below heart. The swelling disappears after a couple of hours of getting up.

tankasnowgod

I'm in a full sized bed but did the first bed raise long enough ago, that I've forgotten the exact measurement. Now, with this latest 2-3 inch block added, I just know it's adding up to ~ 5 1/2 inches. I'd like to have increased just 1 inch at a time, but time and $$. Had to get somebody to do it.

My fingers have been swelling during sleep since I added the blocks. Both hands. I mention that because my left arm is straight downwards, while the right is usually upwards when I face to the right sleeping on my tummy. (I try to shift during the night if I drift awake. Figure it's better to move around some. )

So, it's not making a difference hand position above or below heart. The swelling disappears after a couple of hours of getting up.

I had some transient joint swelling the first couple weeks as well. If you just added new blocks recently, this could be the cause.

@Birdie try sleeping on your sides to see if this makes a difference with hands swelling. It may be that the pressure on your tummy is increasing the pressure in your vessels when laying prone. It may also be medication related, so worth checking contraindications on any meds.

@Blossom

This is a logical observation. Fat weighs less than muscle and bone, so if fat is fuelling muscle density increases, size goes down and in some cases weight goes up. In your case, you appear to have found an ideal conversion rate.

My friend and I noticed that we increased in weight and yet our clothes became looser, effectively tightening our belts a couple of notches.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals