Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

tankasnowgod

I wonder if someone has tried to take this a step further by trying sleeping seated?

Some claim this provides major benefits; How to Sleep Sitting Up | The Minimalists

I don't think this is better than sleeping inclined. Andrew has addressed how this position still puts all the stress of the top half of your body on your pelvis. Inclined, it distributes your weight more evenly. Plus, it doesn't look like his legs will get any circulatory benefits in that position.

Having said that, it still looks like a much better position that sleeping completely flat ("corpse position," if you will). Gravity will still be working well on your digestive system, your cerebrospinal fluid system should still get all the benefits of sleeping inclined, plus it probably helps with removing toxins from the brain.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I was talking to one of the PA’s (physician assistant similar to a nurse practitioner) at work about IBT the other day. Her father has been having some osteoarthritis issues and I told her about my success with healing my pinched nerve by sleeping inclined. She was very open to the idea and said it made complete sense.

It was interesting the way we got on the topic. She said she walked in on her dad using a red light and had no idea what he was doing. Hopefully the combination of IBT and red light will help him feel better. It’s nice to work with an open minded practitioner.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I really don’t notice the incline when I am lying down. I don’t slide down. And it seems very comfortable. But I can’t report any earth shattering improvements. I guess the most noticeable thing for me is how my limbs feel relaxed.

My spider veins seem the same so no great change there.

vulture

I really don’t notice the incline when I am lying down. I don’t slide down. And it seems very comfortable. But I can’t report any earth shattering improvements. I guess the most noticeable thing for me is how my limbs feel relaxed.

My spider veins seem the same so no great change there.
Same here with 3 inches incline

Cirion

Yeah I've been doing it for well over a month here with no real positives or negatives either.

BTW anyone here have any experience grounding their bed? I feel like this has the potential to have a more significant impact than inclining the bed, based upon what I'm learning about it now, at least if it is done correctly anyway (I'd probably want a professional to ground my bed for me to make sure it's done correctly, as it's not really as simple as just plugging it into the wall, sometimes doing that can actually make your problem worse).

Although, now my bed is in a nearly zero EMF environment, I dunno how much grounding it would do for me at this point in time.

From what I've learned now though the earth has some unique EMF field of its own that, unlike the unnatural EMF's from electronics, actually is beneficial and has healing properties, so just nullifying artificial EMF's seems like it may only be half the battle to a really restful sleep.

I'd experiment with sleeping in a tent outside if I had a yard.. Lol

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yeah I've been doing it for well over a month here with no real positives or negatives either.

BTW anyone here have any experience grounding their bed? I feel like this has the potential to have a more significant impact than inclining the bed, based upon what I'm learning about it now, at least if it is done correctly anyway (I'd probably want a professional to ground my bed for me to make sure it's done correctly, as it's not really as simple as just plugging it into the wall, sometimes doing that can actually make your problem worse).

Although, now my bed is in a nearly zero EMF environment, I dunno how much grounding it would do for me at this point in time.

From what I've learned now though the earth has some unique EMF field of its own that, unlike the unnatural EMF's from electronics, actually is beneficial and has healing properties, so just nullifying artificial EMF's seems like it may only be half the battle to a really restful sleep.

I'd experiment with sleeping in a tent outside if I had a yard.. Lol
I have access to 65 acres but it’s way too cold to sleep outside. :)
I did have an earthing mat years ago that I tried sleeping on but it didn’t seem to do anything. It wasn’t that large so maybe if I’d had a mattress sized mat it might have worked better. Please report back if you ground your bed!

Cirion

Yeah I'm not too convinced those grounding mats do much for you, they seem to be very hit or miss. I think the only way a grounding mat would do anything is if you grounded it via a copper wire connected to a rod outside stuck inside the earth itself. And even then, I don't believe it's as effective as physically connecting your own body to the earth, because you aren't exposing your body directly to its EMF fields.

You should totally try it when it gets warmer. Lol.

If/when I move to FL (always on the hunt for a chance to move my career) I'm going to plan to get a house with a nice sized yard and will definitely try it then.

One thing I do want to look into is electrically conductive shoes. Anyone have experience with those? Supposedly you can achieve grounding any time you walk outside without being barefoot by going this route.

Sorry if i'm going off topic here

tankasnowgod

I just got back from visiting the family over Christmas, and chalk up a few more wins for @andrewkfletcher.

First wins, I drove out. This is normally an 8-9 hour drive, but thanks to a serious accident that closed the freeway on the way out, and some bad route choices by me and some extra construction on the way back, this was closer to an 11 hour drive both ways. Since my last treck, I had raised the seat in my chair, and have a cushion I can use for extra height. I use the cushion sporadically, as sometimes I feel it makes me sit too high.

Well, normally, this drive would lead to lots of stiffness, exhaustion, and some lower back pain that might take an hour or so to resolve. This time (after both trips), I had more energy, less stiffness, and NO pain in the lower back! This is all due to Andrew's suggestion to keep your knees below your butt when sitting, and to use a cushion or raise the seat in your car when driving!

Also, when sleeping at my mom's house, I slightly inclined the guest bed (I think about four inches or so). That made sleeping away from home a bit better (I've done some "hack" like this on every trip I've taken since I started), but best part, my mom is now gonna give this a try.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
I have had good results with head of my bed raised 3”, i have liked so much that i have not tried raising to 6” yet, has any of you been at around 3” then raised to 6” and seen more beneficial effects?

GAF

We had it at 8"+ for 2 months with great results except sheets would come off and then I started sliding down. So, I dropped it to about 5". Still working great and easier to manage. The 8 looked really silly and made us laugh. That's why I did it. But 5 is great too.

Slept flat out of town last nite. Yuck.

From now on, when I recline, I will incline. My feet, legs, back, neck and shoulders thank RPF for this info.

B

Braveheart

Careful not to confuse inches with degrees....I think Fletcher said that you have to get the angle to at least 5 degrees (typically a 6 inch raise) for it to work. ....

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
We had it at 8"+ for 2 months with great results except sheets would come off and then I started sliding down. So, I dropped it to about 5". Still working great and easier to manage. The 8 looked really silly and made us laugh. That's why I did it. But 5 is great too.

Slept flat out of town last nite. Yuck.

From now on, when I recline, I will incline. My feet, legs, back, neck and shoulders thank RPF for this info.

Thanks!

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Careful not to confuse inches with degrees....I think Fletcher said that you have to get the angle to at least 5 degrees (typically a 6 inch raise) for it to work. ....

Thats a good point, i just think its easier to say inches because it corresponds to degree and most people will not have a way of measuring the degree.

I have noticed very nice positive benefits at 3" thats why i am interested if folks have notice a difference when raised more...

ubiety

Thats a good point, i just think its easier to say inches because it corresponds to degree and most people will not have a way of measuring the degree.

I have noticed very nice positive benefits at 3" thats why i am interested if folks have notice a difference when raised more...

I started a couple of weeks at 3" and noticed better sleep, then went to 6" for a couple of months which made my insomnia worse. Moved it down to 3" and my sleep improved again. 3" seems the sweet spot for me.

vulture

So far what I have noticed in a few months with about 3” is that I sleep less, and feel ok, about half an hour less. I’m gonna start trying 6” and let’s see.
And, for whatever reason, I feel like if inclined bed is the way to sleep, when bed is inclined I feel more comfortable, if not, I tend to look for pillows and things to elevate my torso. There must be something instinctive about sleeping inclines, otherwise people wouldn’t look to use pillows and cushions.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
I started a couple of weeks at 3" and noticed better sleep, then went to 6" for a couple of months which made my insomnia worse. Moved it down to 3" and my sleep improved again. 3" seems the sweet spot for me.

Thanks, i think i will stay at 3" for now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals