Im A Mess! Not Sure Where To Start.

Memma

[highlight=#ffffff](e) Be generous with using "refined" (de-odorized) coconut oil generously on the skin. good quality coconut oil is usually absorbed readily. This may help short term stability with fuel supply/metabolic demands. it may help the skin and/or scalp too.

(The health food stores stock more of the "extra virgin" "unrefined" "raw" variety that has more of an aroma and is often more grayish, that Dr. Peat has been less enthusiastic about. The stronger "unrefined, raw" odor will be less popular with some friends/family. Look for white, non-sticky coconut oil-it show melt at 76 degrees F.)[/highlight]

I came across a relatively inexpensive source of coconut oil dubbed Pure Coconut Oil (76 degree). However, RP did rate good quality coconut oil to be at least 92% saturated fat. And I quote:

"The unmodified natural oil is called "76 degree melt," since that is its natural melting temperature. One bottle from a health food store was labeled "natural coconut oil, 92% unsaturated oil," and it had the greasy consistency of old lard. I suspect that someone had confused palm oil (or something worse) with coconut oil, because it should be about 96% saturated fatty acids."

To be sure, I asked the facility about the percentage saturated fat in their brand of coconut oil and got this response: 87.5 g per 100 g.
This meant that this brand is only 87.5% saturated fat. Where can one find a really good quality brand coconut oil at a decent price? What about a not so decent price?

lindsay

Xhale1991 said:
Hey guys. How is everyone doing?

First post here. I am a 22 year old dealing with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and whole host of other issues. My digestive system is in shreds (think it's SIBO). I have constant bloating, pain, it seems I react to everything that I eat. For those of you not familar with CFS, my case is fairly severe. I am nearly bedridden and suffer from plenty of neurological symptoms (low blood pressure, low body temp, blurry vision, migraines, brain fog, depression, anxiety, raynauds, post exertional malaise) to go along with it.

I have tried more diets than I can count but have yet to try something like Peats. Going to give it a shot.

Any advice from someone who has dealt with CFS or GI issues? I see Peat advocates coffee which always seems to exacerbate my stomach pain so that will be the only thing I exclude.

Hi Xhale1991 - not sure if you've had much relief since you first posted this, but I thought I would chime in because I am the queen of bad digestive issues. Bad digestion has plagued me for about 12 years now and ruined my hormonal profile (probably thanks to Zelnorm). I lost a gallbladder, and more recently my appendix, so I can totally relate. However, after having antibiotics post appendectomy, I noticed improved digestion and overall wellbeing. Have you ever taken an antibiotic? I'm not sure it's the best place to start, but improving digestion from diet can be very difficult when everything bothers you - trust me, I've been doing this for like 2 years now with relief only occasionally and I've been taking thyroid for over a year. It didn't improve digestion much, truth be told. But antibiotics are short lived and now I've noticed digestion becoming a bit more sluggish.

I'm thinking of going on a raw garlic cleanse and then seeing how it goes - thebigpeatowski said it worked real well for him. Other things people recommend regularly are the raw carrot - I didn't notice it doing much for me, but everyone is different. Fruit definitely helps, but you have to clean it well! Starch is a no-no for most. I thought I could handle it, but it always leads to some issue of some sort.

Questions: Do you experience constipation? Or just a myriad of IBS type symptoms? Have you tried any supplements to help? Activated charcoal, cascara sagrada, peppermint oil, etc?

Amazoniac

Just like Charlie mentioned, supressed Thyroid may impede proper gut motility and lead to gastrointestinal issues. One of the ways our bodies keep the majority of our flora in the large intestine is by peristalsis. When you force your organism to slow down, regardless of the reason, it will do its best to preserve energy. One of the ways it does that is by reducing transit time to extract more from your food, considering that thyroid malfunction mimics starvation. Increasing your metabolism could be a great starting point. Also, improving your immune system can help.

answersfound

i have cfs and am a 24 year old male but have made tremendous progress since i discovered peat....things that have helped me:

high doses of aspirin to reduce inflammation-work your way up to 2000mg-3000mg per day, also reduced my estrogen dominance symptoms
progest-e helped me
2 raw carrots a day
minimizing liquids, focusing on calorie dense meals..i eat a lot of fage 0% yogurt...only drink when thirsty!!!!
focusing on high salt foods
cyproheptadine seemed to shift things in the right direction. i take it every night before bed and let it build in my system
coffee helps calm adrenaline, even if it's decaf
i take vitamins a, d, e, k too

Vins7

Hi.
I don't speak English very well, I'm sorry.
I just wanted to know how it went, your current situation and if you managed to improve because although I am not diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, I have absolutely the same hypothyroid symptoms that you had, I am also a man and we are about the same age.
I await your response attentively, your experience would help me a lot, I have been living in a low metabolic state for a long time and although I have informed myself about Ray Peat I do not know how to address my problems.
Thank you.