If sugar is health promoting, why does it cause tooth sensitivity/ pain? And why does Calcium stop it?

GreekDemiGod

Title.
I’m talking about white refined sugar and dried fruits especially.
Eating Calcium restores this imbalance.

abady

Dates are way better than eating white sugar, its also has lots of calcium best fruit to eat as a snack imo.

Vanset

I find this to be true as well. When I ate nothing but starch and meat/eggs I had perfect teeth, no sensitivity. I barely even had to brush them. Since introducing more sugar in the form of honey, fruit, fruit juices, maple syrup etc. my teeth have become more sensitive to hot and cold drinks and I have some dark spots on some of them. I have to brush them much more often as well. The anecdote from Ray about some starch of whatever it was that had bad calcium to phorphorus ratio ruining his teeth makes me raise an eyebrow. Doesn't ring true to me at all.

peatyzilian

I stopped eating refined sugar because i believed it was causing me acne.
I'm eating sugars just from fruit and honey now and my skin is way much better and clean.
Guess it's all about doing what works for you....

Vileplume

I think for some people with bacterial issues, white sugar can cause problems with endotoxin. That will lead to problems with saliva, bacterial issues in the mouth, decaying teeth etc. over time.

High sugars RPF diet coincidences with 3 tooth extractions and advance of caries. Low carb and keto fixed this. No one ever can convince me sugars are safe for teeth.

Jonk

My gums and teeth become very sensitive if I have loose bowels for a few days. I also get mouth ulcers. This problem goes away when I supplement vit K2. My dental and mouth quality feels a lot better with high sugar + added K2 than before Peating with mostly starch and no added K2. Maybe it's as simple as sugar and/or faster transit times require more of certain nutrients like calcium or vit k.

SamYo123

Sugar has a pH of 7, so you could be forgiven for thinking that it's neutral. In point of fact, sugar ruins your pH, in turn damaging overall health and wellbeing, increasing disease risk and overloading the body with oxidative stress.4 Dec 2020

Find the truth and lie..

A

Adf

I wonder if it's to do with what bacteria you have. Sugar feeds bacteria, and if you have an overabundance of bacteria that can harm teeth, eating sugar will inflate the issue.

Anyone here with teeth sensitivity due to sugar, have you tried daily Chlorine dioxide mouth washes along with the increased sugar intake, to see if that will cease the issue?

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

High sugars RPF diet coincidences with 3 tooth extractions and advance of caries. Low carb and keto fixed this. No one ever can convince me sugars are safe for teeth.
I had my first molar extraction this year and I tend to agree with you. Even if there is a scenario in which sugar is not detrimental to dental health, it requires exceptional health, no bacterial overgrowth, not gut issues that practically almost no one ticks.
So if the arguments in favor of sugar only stand true in this limited, hard to achieve perfect state of health, it doesn't really matter, what matters is the effect it has on the average individual.
Same thing about sugar causing or not causing diabetes. If you throw sugar on top of an average diet, moderate in fats(SFA, PUFA, MUFA in equal amounts), protein, carbs, you're most likely going to cause more harm. It's only not harmful in a low fat diet and PUFA depleted organism.

BlackMolasses

Never had a problem with sugar UNLESS it was in acid form.
I had browning of my lower teeth when I drank pineapple juice and kept it in my mouth, ironically soda and sugar are less of a problem than fruit.
I also drastically increased my calcium intake, which may have helped counter enamel decalcification.

Vileplume

How was your digestion in general during that time frame?

I think oral health is like 80% about saliva acidity and digestion. And I think that’s mostly dictated by inflammation, bacterial makeup, and function of the digestive tract.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

At the very minimum, I think the following should be implemented:
- rinse with water every time you eat sugar/ fruits/ carbs of any kind
- Eliminate snacking and have at maximum 4 meals/ day.

I find avoiding alcohol helps a lot with the teeth.

All sugar will ferment during digestion, producing a byproduct of alchohol from the bacteria which decompose it. This alcohol is then used by the body to expunge/polish stored metals (similar to hydrogen peroxide) in tissues which puts them into circulation.

Metals have an affinity for the brain and nervous system due to the concentration and types of minerals housed in the brain which allow for electrical firing of neurons.

Because of this affinity, they are pushed towards the brain, and the brain will attempt to detox these metals through the gumline. If there's not enough calcium, potassium, phosphorus, and/or magnesium to bind to these metals coming through the gumline, they'll corrode the teeth.

The increased bacterial counts of candida (as one example) found in the mouth of someone with poor dental health are the result of a lack of major minerals. Those bacteria show up as damage control to deal with the excessively acidic, mostly metal, compounds that are showing up on the teeth.

Simply put again, sugar and alcohol will cause metal detox and the gumline is a major receiver of such detox.

Last edited:

Vanset

That is scary. I bet it included lots of citrus fruit juices or citrus fruit, the classic OJ? I'm also finding out that sugar is indeed harmful to teeth.

Where I live fruit used to be a rarity you'd only get on Christmas in the form of a few bananas or oranges. Or seasonally some small, green tart apples.
Honey and maple syrup aren't as bad as OJ, but still a net negative. Milk sugar seems to have zero effect just like rice or potatoes.

I'm thinking to just going back to vertical diet style eating of rice with meat and eggs. I had zero teeth problems with starch and meat despite terrible calcium/phosphorus ratio.
Are you doing keto/carnivore?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals