I Really Like Bread, How To Stop Iron Absorption?

I doubt bread has much bromine in it today. I do think it has Iron for sure and that this is in a very harmful form.

dbh25

I've tried using potato as my main starch for almost a year now. The past couple days I have been eating trader joes baguettes and feel way better.

I know the added iron is harmful, especially in the long run as it accumulates, but I really would prefer to eat bread over potatoes/rice.

What is the best way to get rid of iron in the body if you are consuming iron rich foods like bread daily?

From the TJ website, Organic French Rolls: ORGANIC UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (ORGANIC WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, SEA SALT, YEAST, ORGANIC MALTED BARLEY FLOUR.

So organic does not mean it is not fortified. Avoid this bread. Try a place like Whole Foods or online like Amazon. And check the label.
Edit- Like this one, which has: organic whole kernel rye, water, org whole rye flour, sea salt, yeast.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO9LQVW/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Last edited:
OP
G

Gone Peating

From the TJ website, Organic French Rolls: ORGANIC UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (ORGANIC WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, SEA SALT, YEAST, ORGANIC MALTED BARLEY FLOUR.

So organic does not mean it is not fortified. Avoid this bread. Try a place like Whole Foods or online like Amazon. And check the label.
Edit- Like this one, which has: organic whole kernel rye, water, org whole rye flour, sea salt, yeast.

Thanks man appreciate it

I'm gonna try to find one that is freshly baked. Nothing beats freshly baked bread imo

A. squamosa

coffee prevents iron absorption, lowering your vit c consumption when consuming iron, go onto the f!ck portion control blog for a good bread recipe

tankasnowgod

True, organic does not necessarily mean no iron, but many organic breads are free of iron. I have seen iron free breads at Trader Joes, but you do have to look at the ingredients to confirm. I've seen lots of other iron free bread products there, especially pasta and imported cakes/tarts/pastries. Whole Foods would be no different (although certainly more expensive). I've also seen iron free pasta at Costco too, so really, you just have to check the label every time.

For example, here's a bread product on their website with no added iron- Chocolate Chip Pain Au Lait

I buy bread and never with reduced iron. Trader Joes or Publix. I always find it. For our family. I would never allow reduced iron into the house. Some organic sourdough qualify. Not all.

Cirion

Yeah, but you see Prop 65 warnings on products all the time in other states. CA is 10% of the US population. They basically make products conform to their standards, and sell them everywhere. Besides, you REALLY think corporations are going out of there way to make a special product that they can't sell in CA, the EU, China, and many other countries just to sell to the other 49 states while incurring extra cost, and NOT putting it on the list of ingredients, when the FDA has urged companies since 1991 to quit using it? Highly doubtful.

Also, Potassium Bromate isn't allowed in organic products. So, if you're getting organic wheat products without iron, or getting iron free bread products from anywhere in the EU, you can be sure you're not getting any Potassium Bromate, either.

Go check the ingredients of a Mountain Dew. It clearly lists "Bromenated Vegetable Oil." There would be a warning and a listing for any bread product that used Potassium Bromide as a dough conditioner.

I don't think mountain dew has an actual warning though? You have to look at the ingredients yourself.

BTW I attribute bromenated vegetable oil as possibly close to the #1 reason my health was ruined as a kid. I drank mountain dew a LOT. I believe a liter of mountain dew has 4mg of bromenated vegetable oil. ALot of people here think 1mg is OD'ing on iodine, well then how about 4mg of a goitrogenic substance? Enough said lol

Hugh Johnson

I've tried using potato as my main starch for almost a year now. The past couple days I have been eating trader joes baguettes and feel way better.

I know the added iron is harmful, especially in the long run as it accumulates, but I really would prefer to eat bread over potatoes/rice.

What is the best way to get rid of iron in the body if you are consuming iron rich foods like bread daily?
Iron is not really the issue. Blood donation once a year fixes that. The problem is that it is iron filings. You need to start making your own bread with flour that has no added iron and actual yeast. Nathan Hatch had a recipe for good bread.

tankasnowgod

I don't think mountain dew has an actual warning though? You have to look at the ingredients yourself.

BTW I attribute bromenated vegetable oil as possibly close to the #1 reason my health was ruined as a kid. I drank mountain dew a LOT. I believe a liter of mountain dew has 4mg of bromenated vegetable oil. ALot of people here think 1mg is OD'ing on iodine, well then how about 4mg of a goitrogenic substance? Enough said lol

I don't know if it has a warning, but bromenated vegetable oil isn't potassium bromate. The point is, it was clearly listed on the label. Your original contention about Potassium Bromate is that it is used in most bread products, and then those manufacturers wouldn't list it on the label. But there is no real justification for this. Yes, likely is still used in some (and I'm very confident they would list it on the label), but use of Potassium Bromate has fallen off dramatically, and if you actively avoiding the iron fillings in bread, the sources in the US (some organic brands and imports from EU countries) aren't going to be made with Potassium Bromate anyway.

ken

In the northwest, US, Red Mill organic flour is not enriched. If you use a 24 hr, no-knead recipe its pretty easy to bake bread. unfortunate side effect eating to much.

fradon

buy organic or whole wheat or whole grain they do not enrich these with iron.

also make your own bread with organic flour which has no iron added.

lvysaur

Can someone explain to me why the iron in bread is supposedly so bad?

jzeno

@lvysaur

Ray Peat's research on this subject: Iron's Dangers

TLDR: Primarily, Iron in food is cheap and therefore not really good for us. Iron is also toxic in excess (disease, cell aging).

Last edited:
OP
G

Gone Peating

Can someone explain to me why the iron in bread is supposedly so bad?

I've read that iron found naturally in food is different than the reduced iron that is added to bread

The iron added to bread act almost like little shards of metal and can irritate your digestive system

It's speculated that a lot of people who think they are gluten intolerant are really just extra sensitive to the added iron

DrJ

@Gone Peating
Coming from a bit of an opposite approach of dealing with the iron if you can't avoid it, do you know about lactoferrin?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals