I Really Like Bread, How To Stop Iron Absorption?

Gone Peating

I've tried using potato as my main starch for almost a year now. The past couple days I have been eating trader joes baguettes and feel way better.

I know the added iron is harmful, especially in the long run as it accumulates, but I really would prefer to eat bread over potatoes/rice.

What is the best way to get rid of iron in the body if you are consuming iron rich foods like bread daily?

Fractality

Milk, aspirin...perhaps look into a bread without the iron. I don't think the "traditionally prepared" bread has "reduced iron" in it.

OP
G

Gone Peating

Milk, aspirin...perhaps look into a bread without the iron. I don't think the "traditionally prepared" bread has "reduced iron" in it.

As I understand (tho I could be wrong), all flour in the US contains added iron

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You can bake your own bread with unfortified flour. Usually in the U.S. organic flour or some imported flours aren't fortified.

In the USA some organic breads use no iron. It’s easy to make good even great bread. You can use organic flour without iron. Whole Foods organic flour has none. King Arthur organic has it. Lots of bread has it but some does not. Organic doesn’t always have iron added.

OP
G

Gone Peating

By traditionally prepared, do you mean make everything including flour yourself?

OP
G

Gone Peating

In the USA some organic breads use no iron. It’s easy to make good even great bread. You can use organic flour without iron. Whole Foods organic flour has none. King Arthur organic has it. Lots of bread has it but some does not. Organic doesn’t always have iron added.

Do you know the names of any of the brands? I can't find any in any grocery stores in my area

jzeno

@Gone Peating

Some in-house bakeries inside super markets or stand-alone will carry natural sourdough without added iron. Those are your best bets. Most other delivered bread will contain added iron.

Peat says drink coffee with bread to reduce iron:

"Q. I can't avoid all those foods, especially the bread and grains. What can I do to keep the iron I ingest from harming me?

Iron destroys vitamin E, so vitamin E should be taken as a supplement. It shouldn't be taken at the same time as the iron-contaminated food, because iron reacts with it in the stomach. About 100 mg. per day is adequate, though our requirement increases with age, as our tissue iron stores increase. Coffee, when taken with food, strongly inhibits the absorption of iron, so I always try to drink coffee with meat. Decreasing your consumption of unsaturated fats makes the iron less harmful. Vitamin C stimulates the absorption of iron, so it might be a good idea to avoid drinking orange juice at the same meal with iron-rich foods. A deficiency of copper causes our tissues to retain an excess of iron, so foods such as shrimp and oysters which contain abundant copper should be used regularly."

Iron's Dangers

tankasnowgod

Do you know the names of any of the brands? I can't find any in any grocery stores in my area

Trader Joe's seems to have a lot of bread products without added iron. I believe their brand of brioche is free from iron. I know I have seen other breads free of iron there, including white bread and sourdough. You have to look at the label, but you'll see something like "ferrous sulfate" on the ingredients along with many B vitamins on the ones that have iron. The ones that don't will be lacking those ingredients.

I know they have organic/imported rice and pastas that aren't fortified as well.

Cirion

Honestly the Iron is nothing compared to the Bromine, but maybe that's just me. At least, people don't talk about Bromine as much as they should.

Most commercially bought bread is Bromine laden which directly inhibits the thyroid.

OP
G

Gone Peating

Trader Joe's seems to have a lot of bread products without added iron. I believe their brand of brioche is free from iron. I know I have seen other breads free of iron there, including white bread and sourdough. You have to look at the label, but you'll see something like "ferrous sulfate" on the ingredients along with many B vitamins on the ones that have iron. The ones that don't will be lacking those ingredients.

I know they have organic/imported rice and pastas that aren't fortified as well.

Okay nice thank you I guess I just need to look a little more carefully next time

OP
G

Gone Peating

@Gone Peating

Some in-house bakeries inside super markets or stand-alone will carry natural sourdough without added iron. Those are your best bets. Most other delivered bread will contain added iron.

Peat says drink coffee with bread to reduce iron:

"Q. I can't avoid all those foods, especially the bread and grains. What can I do to keep the iron I ingest from harming me?

Iron destroys vitamin E, so vitamin E should be taken as a supplement. It shouldn't be taken at the same time as the iron-contaminated food, because iron reacts with it in the stomach. About 100 mg. per day is adequate, though our requirement increases with age, as our tissue iron stores increase. Coffee, when taken with food, strongly inhibits the absorption of iron, so I always try to drink coffee with meat. Decreasing your consumption of unsaturated fats makes the iron less harmful. Vitamin C stimulates the absorption of iron, so it might be a good idea to avoid drinking orange juice at the same meal with iron-rich foods. A deficiency of copper causes our tissues to retain an excess of iron, so foods such as shrimp and oysters which contain abundant copper should be used regularly."

Iron's Dangers

Nice thank you. Unfortunately I don't feel good drinking more than one cup a day but at least I'll be safe from iron at breakfast

OP
G

Gone Peating

Honestly the Iron is nothing compared to the Bromine, but maybe that's just me. At least, people don't talk about Bromine as much as they should.

Most commercially bought bread is Bromine laden which directly inhibits the thyroid.

Why do they add bromine to bread?

Cirion

Why do they add bromine to bread?

Excellent question! Lol. The Truth About Potassium Bromate

I take some what of a conspiracy theory approach given that bromine in bread really ramped up after "Iodine was deemed harmful for intake" that even Ray Peat ascribes to, which I vehemently disagree with. I'm disappointed that RP even believes this. Even if you believe RP, if even Iodine, which is a substance that the body prefers, supposedly causes problems if supplemented, then how much more so would Bromine, Flourine, Chlorine??? Given that these are foreign substances that the thyroid does NOT want.

https://www.optimox.com/pdfs/IOD05.pdf some more info on Iodine and the history of Bromine, Chlorine, Flourine and other goitrogens that I now believe were "Purposefully" introduced to harm us.

In the 1980s, thanks to iodophobia, iodine was replaced with bromine in the bread-making process.31 Bromide is a goitrogen and interferes with iodide utilization by the thyroid gland,32-34 and possibly by the mammary gland also.35 Iodine has an anticarcinogenic effect on the breast.30 The last national nutritional survey showed a trend of decreasing iodine intake by the US population.30,31 Currently 15% of the US adult female population excreted in their urine less than 0.05 mg iodide/L, a level classified by the World Health Organization (WHO) as iodine deficiency. One must keep in mind that the amounts of daily intake of iodine set by the WHO were recommended with the goal of preventing simple goiter and stupidity (cretinism), not sufficiency of the whole human body for iodine, an amount we estimated to be 100-fold higher than the recommended daily intake.30 Concurrent with the decreased intake of iodine/iodide and increased intake of bromine in the US population, a trend of increasing prevalence of cancers of the mammary and thyroid glands was reported.30

tankasnowgod

Oh, I don't know about that. Not necessarily as a mineral, but as the fact that tiny iron shavings are added to bread? That promote insane amounts of bacterial growth, and basically have the action of swallowing thousands of tiny razorblades?

Here's yet another video where people easily extract iron filings from cereal. Again, this is radically different from natural iron that would occur in red meat or spinach-

As toxicologist Jym Moon stated, "Most people are familiar with the highly publicized toxic metals such as lead, mercury, cadmium, manganese, aluminum, and arsenic. However, few people know that iron is responsible for a great deal more sickness and death than all these other toxic metals combined!"

Cirion

Don't get me wrong, the artificial iron isn't great either. But I don't think enough emphasis is placed around here on the goitrogenic halogen compounds that we get bombarded with so regularly especially if we don't watch what we do or eat.

tankasnowgod

Don't get me wrong, the artificial iron isn't great either. But I don't think enough emphasis is placed around here on the goitrogenic halogen compounds that we get bombarded with so regularly especially if we don't watch what we do or eat.

Well, it's likely that Potassium Bromide isn't used in the vast majority of wheat products currently available. It's banned in the EU, China, and Canada. While it still can be used in the US, it does require a warning and to be listed under CA Prop 65- https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/crnr/notice-intent-list-chemical-bromate

With those massive markets either banning it or requiring a warning label and disclosure, it's use is likely not all that high in bread products. Certainly nothing imported from France/Germany/Italy, which have some of the best non-iron products at Trader Joe's.

Cirion

Well, it's likely that Potassium Bromide isn't used in the vast majority of wheat products currently available. It's banned in the EU, China, and Canada. While it still can be used in the US, it does require a warning and to be listed under CA Prop 65- https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/crnr/notice-intent-list-chemical-bromate

With those massive markets either banning it or not requiring a label, it's use is likely not all that high in bread products. Certainly nothing imported from France/Germany/Italy, which have some of the best non-iron products at Trader Joe's.

Only the state of california as far as I can tell which means all 49 other states there is no warning label.

tankasnowgod

Only the state of california as far as I can tell which means all 49 other states there is no warning label.

Yeah, but you see Prop 65 warnings on products all the time in other states. CA is 10% of the US population. They basically make products conform to their standards, and sell them everywhere. Besides, you REALLY think corporations are going out of there way to make a special product that they can't sell in CA, the EU, China, and many other countries just to sell to the other 49 states while incurring extra cost, and NOT putting it on the list of ingredients, when the FDA has urged companies since 1991 to quit using it? Highly doubtful.

Also, Potassium Bromate isn't allowed in organic products. So, if you're getting organic wheat products without iron, or getting iron free bread products from anywhere in the EU, you can be sure you're not getting any Potassium Bromate, either.

Go check the ingredients of a Mountain Dew. It clearly lists "Bromenated Vegetable Oil." There would be a warning and a listing for any bread product that used Potassium Bromide as a dough conditioner.