I am finally losing weight (after about 10 years)

Elie

Forum Supporter
I have been meaning to share the results of my n=1 journey here.

Since my late 30s / 40ish I have been gaining weight consistently.

This coincided with my discovery of Ray (about 12 years ago or so). I am now 52.

Implementing his ideas helped me become less “fragile” to life stressors as a whole, experience less colds and flues and have more stable energy levels.

However, in terms of my weight, despite trying different things (except Keto and Carnivore), have just gained.

I do thank the few individuals on this forum I consulted here (who tried to help me), alas, to no avail.

I had some temporary success with the “Croissant” diet, but it just helped me return to a certain setpoint that I couldn't leave for the past 3 years.

The biggest contributor? Ditching dairy(and eggs)! Although when I am ready, I will experiment with reintroducing eggs to some extent.

To be fair, over the years I has high stress periods in my life, which I'd think have contributed to weight gain. However, ditching dairy has done it for me.

I had a hard time to consider that dairy (and perhaps eggs, but less likely) were the culprit because the rationale laid out by Ray and the folks on this forum greatly appealed to me (for various reasons).

But whether it was low fat / skim milk or going heavy on very lean cottage cheese, or eating fatty cheese(the croissant diet), nothing helped.

To be fair, I also relied on dairy heavily as a source of protein because I preferred being vegetarian.

I currently replaced dairy with lean chicken breast as my significant source of protein, but for several stretches if time recently, I also experimented with having no animal protein. Overall, eating a reasonable amount of protein seems better for me (yesterday, for example I has 120g of protein, and, for more context, I would often used to have this much protein form consuming milk and or cottage cheese).

I experimented with different carb macro ratios (more starch vs more fruit), but nothing.

I kept a modest caloric deficit for periods of time.

The loss has been slow and gradual (except when over 2 days of having the flu i dropped 4 lbs.!... which makes no sense). I have maintained a modest caloric deficit throughout.

So far, since implementing this Vit A detox approach in late March, I dropped 11lbs. Not huge, but it has only been an upward trend for 10 years, especially the last 7, so I am ecstatic.

Now I am experimenting also with dextrose and this morning I woke up to a pleasant surprise (Yesterday had a bit more calories than usual as of late, and yet I reached anew low on the scale).

I wanted to add a caveat. I am a natural health practitioner; And I think I didn't consider dairy because a good portion of my clients did well (in terms of weight loss or blood sugar, for example), even without cutting dairy, but still implementing other “bio-energetic” strategies. Having said that, most of my clients are older adults (50s- 70s) who have consuming lots of seed oils, and often, other processed foods).

... which brings me to the necessity of considering the age of the person. The bodies of younger folks (say below mid to late 30s), are more “forgiving”, I suppose because of less accumulated toxicity. Hormonal changes with age and cumulative stress have significant effects on one's “metabolism”.

Lastly, a big thanks to @charlie for presenting “blasphemous” ideas to this community. Whether it has been vitamin A (not easy to reliably measure) or other things related to liver / bile stagnation, or anything else, it seems to be working.

Keep an open mind!

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Congratulations, @Elie , on your weight loss. I lost weight when I started the low A diet, too. I hope you feel better and better.

I agree with dairy being a problem. The natural hormones in milk are a problem in my case. A person will do much better if nutrients are provided so that the body can make hormones as it sees fit. When I was younger the only people I knew who had their gall bladders removed were young women who consumed large quantities of milk.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
Congratulations, @Elie , on your weight loss. I lost weight when I started the low A diet, too. I hope you feel better and better.

I agree with dairy being a problem. The natural hormones in milk are a problem in my case. A person will do much better if nutrients are provided so that the body can make hormones as it sees fit. When I was younger the only people I knew who had their gall bladders removed were young women who consumed large quantities of milk.
Thank you.
Healthwise, I actually have felt pretty good, it was that my weight didn't "match" that.
As for hormones om milk, I'm not sure if that is truly the issue, werher part of the milk chemical profile, or exogenous.

I'm not sure what it is, other than conceptually understanding that milk is food used by young animals for growth and development, which may not be suitable for mature adults.

I compared the amino acid profile of cow milk with beef and chicken and the variations don't seem Particularly striking, save somewhat higher amounts of 2-3 amino acids.

Perhaps excess vit A has something to do with this.

RealNeat

Thank you.
Healthwise, I actually have felt pretty good, it was that my weight didn't "match" that.
As for hormones om milk, I'm not sure if that is truly the issue, werher part of the milk chemical profile, or exogenous.

I'm not sure what it is, other than conceptually understanding that milk is food used by young animals for growth and development, which may not be suitable for mature adults.

I compared the amino acid profile of cow milk with beef and chicken and the variations don't seem Particularly striking, save somewhat higher amounts of 2-3 amino acids.

What type of milk were you consuming? Whole milk has a better ratio of hormones but obviously more fat. Also (some) dairy can most definitely be inflammatory, which comes with added water weight. The dairy that causes the most issues imo is (industrially) homogenized, the late @Travis had some good insights into the harms of that (folate receptor binding issues aka autoimmunity) not to mention the xanthine oxidase Milk Homogenization & Heart Disease It could also make the calcium less bioavailable and one may not get all the benefits attributed to calcium from milk ie weightloss.

Plus the commercial milk at grocery stores has emulsifiers like polysorbate 80 and silica for the suspended A and D in it.

Something else to consider, this doc suggests that dairy causes him weight gain and he uses MRI to confirm adipose tissue deposition. He claims he changed nothing else besides introducing milk and found it addictive. Now I will say he probably has some level of insulin resistance and "functional diabetes" as he avoids most carb sources and hes a low carb guy, so that could be it. But interesting regardless. If you think about milk and its job, to fatten younglings, it makes sense theoretically, especially if energy and recovery requirements are low.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5V6d_dWASM

I would follow these lines of thought long before I would consider the small amount of Vit A in milk as a causal factor to weight gain unless you are so hypometabolic that the vit A suppresses your thyroid as Ray said a million times.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
What type of milk were you consuming? Whole milk has a better ratio of hormones but obviously more fat. Also (some) dairy can most definitely be inflammatory, which comes with added water weight. The dairy that causes the most issues imo is (industrially) homogenized, the late @Travis had some good insights into the harms of that (folate receptor binding issues aka autoimmunity) not to mention the xanthine oxidase Milk Homogenization & Heart Disease It could also make the calcium less bioavailable and one may not get all the benefits attributed to calcium from milk ie weightloss.

Plus the commercial milk at grocery stores has emulsifiers like polysorbate 80 and silica for the suspended A and D in it.

Something else to consider, this doc suggests that dairy causes him weight gain and he uses MRI to confirm adipose tissue deposition. He claims he changed nothing else besides introducing milk and found it addictive. Now I will say he probably has some level of insulin resistance and "functional diabetes" as he avoids most carb sources and hes a low carb guy, so that could be it. But interesting regardless. If you think about milk and its job, to fatten younglings, it makes sense theoretically, especially if energy and recovery requirements are low.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5V6d_dWASM

I would follow these lines of thought long before I would consider the small amount of Vit A in milk as a causal factor to weight gain unless you are so hypometabolic that the vit A suppresses your thyroid as Ray said a million times.

mostly 1% and skim milk. A short stint of A2 and a longer stint of raw ship milk. I didn't have access to raw whole cow milk.

oxphoser

Thank you.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I just wanted to make a comment about the hormone thing. Emily Sgourakis on the “Weight Loss for Women” podcast mentioned that she started progesterone and immediately lost 10 pounds in a month. Have you had your estrogen checked?

I just heard Mercola say that he reduced his prolactin (a measure of estrogen as everyone here knows) from 15 to 10 by taking only 25 mg of progesterone a day.

Peater

You don't look at all fat in your pic Elie, you look the picture of health actually.
Ah OK, I noticed relatively quick and easy weight loss too, after similarly experiencing steady creep upwards.

I'm not a 'racing snake' yet but even this smaller change back to a ~32" waist is very welcome.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
Ah OK, I noticed relatively quick and easy weight loss too, after similarly experiencing steady creep upwards.

I'm not a 'racing snake' yet but even this smaller change back to a ~32" waist is very welcome.
Fantastic

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
Congratulations on your weight loss!

I just wanted to make a comment about the hormone thing. Emily Sgourakis on the “Weight Loss for Women” podcast mentioned that she started progesterone and immediately lost 10 pounds in a month. Have you had your estrogen checked?

I just heard Mercola say that he reduced his prolactin (a measure of estrogen as everyone here knows) from 15 to 10 by taking only 25 mg of progesterone a day.
Haven't checked prolactin for a year and a half. Can't remember what it was.
I tried progesterone too at one point.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Strong work @Elie! Keep doing what works for you. I’ll be 55 in a few months and I really believe we start needing a higher protein percentage in middle age and beyond. It’s controversial of course but has worked well for me personally. There’s a ton of fear around protein unfortunately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals