weight gain after hydrocortisone, need to figure out why

katiekeen

I am hoping that someone may have an idea about something that has been bothering me for a couple of years. I have always been slim (sometimes skinny) and I went to a nutritional doc about 2 years ago for anxiety amongst other things who said I was "running on adrenaline" and he prescribed 20mg day of hydrocortisone to "bring me back from the edge". Well, yes indeed it did just that but I gained SO much wait after taking it for 18 months I stopped and have been off it for about 9 months. I have been eating the Peat way since April and obviously with all the sugar I have stacked on even more. It is really starting to upset me.
I am nowhere near a science person and all I want to know is what has happened to my body with the HC to gain the weight. I feel if I can just understand this then I will know how to lose it.
Have been fiddling with thyroid hormone for a while and am currently taking half a Cynoplus a day with my body warming up. I am planning on continuing to increase every couple of weeks.

If anyone has any ideas about how the HC caused the weight gain or anything else they would like to suggest I would be greatful.
Thanks everyone

Mittir

One of the known side effect of Hydrocortisone is weight gain.
It lowers metabolism in several ways. I have heard that it takes several
months to recover from negative effects of hydrocortisone.

Sugar is less fattening than starch. Sugar lowers stress hormones and
increases metabolism more efficiently than starch.
Your weight gain on RP style eating means you are
eating more calories than you can handle. You can increase your metabolism
or lower your caloric intake. RP recommends lowering fat intake for
weight loss. Sugar increases metabolism way more than fat does.
You can use cronometer to figure out your daily caloric intake and
breakdown of sugar,protein and fat intake. 80 grams of quality
protein and B vitamins are essential for healthy liver.
What does your current diet look like.

OP
K

katiekeen

Thanks for you reply Mittir. I have tried to find info about HC affecting metabolism but havent come up with anything, so it looks like HC has slowed my metabolism down and hence the weight gain?
Then it stands to reason that once I get my metabolism moving again then I should lose weight. Fingers crossed, it is what I am hoping for.
My diet consists of trying for 2 litres of milk daily, about half a litre of OJ, a few coffees (decaf) and anywhere up to 7 tablespoons of sugar. I sometimes have red meat for dinner with a potato (with loads of butter). I don't think my calorie intake is excessive. I take all the usual Peat supplements, niacinamide, vit A, vit D, vit E, aspirin, vit K and try for coconut oil. I also try to have a carrot a day and as I mentioned, I have started on half a tablet of Cynolpus day and will increase intermittently. I do check temp and pulse but the give away for me is cold cold feet. Have just started on Iodoral today out of sheer desperation :) My weight is concentrated around my tummy (and bum and thighs *sigh*)
Do you have any studies or other docs that HC causes the metabolism to slow? I am extremely estrogen dominant and am trying Progest E with varying levels of success if this is relevant. Thanks again.

Mittir

I did a quick search and found these studies. There are many studies on side effects of
high cortisol/hydrocortisone.
Hydrocortisone is the pharmaceutical term for cortisol

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/291/5/E995
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16353426
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2895000/
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-i ... de-effects

Whole RP recommendation is based on lowering stress hormones, especially cortisol.
RP repeatedly talks about cortisol in his articles with citations.

If you are drinking whole milk you might want to try low fat milk.
This can lower your intake vitamin A, which is very important .
Lower over all fat intake.
Your sugar intake is about milk 100 + OJ 50 + sucrose 7*15= 255 grams.
It does not look that bad if you have high metabolism
I believe cynoplus will improve your metabolism
significantly and you will be able to handle all these sugar.
If you do not loose weight
after stabilizing your thyroid med then you can lower your
sugar intake . I see you are missing liver, that is a major source
of vitamin A, copper and B vitamins. B vitamins are essential for healthy liver.
Try small frequent meals composed to sugar and protein.
Make sure you get a lot of potassium and magnesium with table sugar
to lower insulin spike. I add sugar to milk+coffee, this gives lot of
magnesium and potassium from milk and instant coffee to handle insulin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals