Losing weight but Im trying to gain

TheHound

Made some decent changes to my diet and overall lifestyle in the past month or so. A lot more milk, a few glasses of orange juice, white potatoes, white rice, much more salt than I used to as well. I have been training four times a week for the past year and a half and recently brought it down to three times a week. Problem is, in the last few weeks i've been losing a decent bit of weight when im trying to gain. Could it mostly just be water weight and fat? I seem to be roughly the same size but I've noticed quite a few veins that I could never see before

OP
TheHound

TheHound

YuraCZ said:
You need to eat more calories. As simple as that. :)

that's the thing. before I started eating way this way I was gaining very slowly. then i decided to add in orange juice, and nearly double my milk intake. added lots of icecream and some cheese as well on top of what I normally eat and the result is i've lost weight. increased metabolism?

YuraCZ

TheHound said:
YuraCZ said:
You need to eat more calories. As simple as that. :)

that's the thing. before I started eating way this way I was gaining very slowly. then i decided to add in orange juice, and nearly double my milk intake. added lots of icecream and some cheese as well on top of what I normally eat and the result is i've lost weight. increased metabolism?
Probably.. Increase calories with some butter, coconut oil, dried fruits are also good..

A

Anonymous

It sounds like stress hormones are high and interfering. I would take cyproheptadine to bring them down. It will help you gain weight as you hold more salt and your appetite will increase.

RPDiciple

TheHound like Peata says are you really tracking and actually eating more then before in terms of calories

XPlus

Taking more foods that support the metabolism is likely to make you leaner.
I've gained about 18kgs since I started incorporating Peaty guidelines 6 months ago.
I've been told that I look leaner so many times than I could remember.
Also, I still fit in most of my clothes.

If I'd try gaining weight (regardless of whether it's fat), I'd slowly experiment with large amounts of Hagaan Dazs.
The plain vanilla one. Other's might have some PUFA and pectin.
It's already calorie and nutrient rich. Adding honey will make it even richer food.

Careful not to take too much sugar than you can handle, if you suspect low insulin sensitivity.
Also, I'd suggest you measure your pulse and temps. This will give a good idea of what's your metabolism like.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

still no luck. seems there's not many people on this forum with this dilemma as most are trying to lose weight. I think I'll have to try Ray Peat's icecream recipe and eat that all day lol

pboy

dunno man, im really light and pretty much always have been, but one thing I noticed is that...even if I eat as much as I can fit in I stay the same, only way I look apparently a bit bigger is on those times where I have like 3 days off in a row and pretty much no stress and relax a lot, but even then its probably mostly just glycogen saturation which is showing

it doesn't matter if you gain weight of not, that's not really the point, you can gain a lot of strength without much difference in weight. A lot of times im my strongest when I weigh less (to a point), its because of nerve energy and blood flow, breath, things like that. You're not gonna look like a body builder without roids, and to even be pretty muscular and all that it takes a long time of dedication, and extra calories, and not much stress, and even then a lot of people don't realize but they have marbled muscles...like they might be stronger if they got thinner, I know it goes against whatever, but muscles are really not that big themselves, its mostly people retaining water and fat in the muscles that makes them look bigger. This kinda question is kind of silly because most people have their own idea o what they want to be or look like and what their own motivations are behind it. Its one thing to gain weight if you are emaciated and its another to want to gain weight on top of that

A

Anonymous

TheHound said:
still no luck. seems there's not many people on this forum with this dilemma as most are trying to lose weight. I think I'll have to try Ray Peat's icecream recipe and eat that all day lol

You have high serotonin. Get bcaa's and consume with protein meals.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

JRMoney15 said:
TheHound said:

I saw your post about depressed feelings from taking BCAA's. whats up with that?

A

Anonymous

TheHound said:
JRMoney15 said:
TheHound said:

I saw your post about depressed feelings from taking BCAA's. whats up with that?

Yea it's because I took them alone. I no longer get that response as long as I take it with a meal containing protein.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

and you definitely notice the effects of lowered serotonin JR?

A

Anonymous

Yes definitely. My mood is sooo much calmer. I'm not irritable or anxious.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

JRMoney15 said:
Yes definitely. My mood is sooo much calmer. I'm not irritable or anxious.

I purchased some l theanine after seeing some of Haidut's posts on it and I've been using it for almost two weeks and havent noticed much from it, even from doses of about 1g throughout the day. maybe i'll give the BCAA's a try

A

Anonymous

Yea I use the one from bulksupplements on Amazon. I was a STICK growing up. I had low appetite all the time and could not gain weight no matter what i did. I am now 6 ft 185 lbs. just a year ago I was 160 lbs. this gain is from a medication called amitriptyline which works similarly to cyproheptadine. Healing metabolism was impossible before I was able to put on weight because my stress hormones were so high. I have a gut now and I would like to lose weight in the future, but my mood and disposition are so much better, it's like I'm a new person. Amitriptyline gave me the "gut of steel" and reduced intestinal sensitivity. I believe this was through lowering serotonin. Bcaa's provide a noticeable change in mood where I just don't get angry. I think first focus on lowering stress hormones so you can put weight on. Cholesterol will come up. After that use thyroid Meds to "cut" and speed up metabolism. A glass of milk and bcaa's immediately increases temperature so I know it's doing something positive

OP
TheHound

TheHound

JRMoney15 said:
Yea I use the one from bulksupplements on Amazon. I was a STICK growing up. I had low appetite all the time and could not gain weight no matter what i did. I am now 6 ft 185 lbs. just a year ago I was 160 lbs. this gain is from a medication called amitriptyline which works similarly to cyproheptadine. Healing metabolism was impossible before I was able to put on weight because my stress hormones were so high. I have a gut now and I would like to lose weight in the future, but my mood and disposition are so much better, it's like I'm a new person. Amitriptyline gave me the "gut of steel" and reduced intestinal sensitivity. I believe this was through lowering serotonin. Bcaa's provide a noticeable change in mood where I just don't get angry. I think first focus on lowering stress hormones so you can put weight on. Cholesterol will come up. After that use thyroid Meds to "cut" and speed up metabolism. A glass of milk and bcaa's immediately increases temperature so I know it's doing something positive

Im only 20 and my metabolism has always been good and fast. Luckily i've never messed it up doing low carb or anything like that and have generally always eaten pretty good, besides for the higher level of pufa intake compared to now. This diet has made my metabolism even faster and im pretty much eating all day. weight has gone down about 7 pounds since seriously eating this way but it seems to be all water weight and fat which is good, but im looking to seriously bulk

A

Anonymous

TheHound said:
JRMoney15 said:

Im only 20 and my metabolism has always been good and fast. Luckily i've never messed it up doing low carb or anything like that and have generally always eaten pretty good, besides for the higher level of pufa intake compared to now. This diet has made my metabolism even faster and im pretty much eating all day. weight has gone down about 7 pounds since seriously eating this way but it seems to be all water weight and fat which is good, but im looking to seriously bulk

Okay. I am 24 and everyone used to tell me you have such a fast metabolism, you can eat whatever you want! Meanwhile I was anxious, depressed, cold, inhibited, obsessive, insecure, tired, apathetic, bipolar, fearful, etc. so I actually had a slow metabolism but my body compensated with high stress hormones. I would guess that growing up my temperature never exceeded 97. So as you can imagine my healing process has been slow but i am making progress and I am starting to experience the reality that most people do where life doesn't feel like a constant uphill battle. The thin types are always regarded as "very healthy" and lucky because of "great genetics" but now on the other side of the fence, being a bit over weight, I can tell you that this was far from the case.

My advice is to focus on putting on weight and getting your temp up. Lowering serotonin is key for this.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

hmm..my waking temperature is usually in the mid 97's now and after breakfast easily reaches 98.6. sometimes late afternoon/early evening after eating it'll get up to 99.1 or so and I feel great. im always hungry and eat to satisfy all the time, so I think I just need to focus on eating a lot more. I'll focus on getting 3500-4000 calories consistently while trying to lower stress hormones I guess

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals