Losing weight but Im trying to gain

EIRE24

XPlus said:
Taking more foods that support the metabolism is likely to make you leaner.
I've gained about 18kgs since I started incorporating Peaty guidelines 6 months ago.
I've been told that I look leaner so many times than I could remember.
Also, I still fit in most of my clothes.

If I'd try gaining weight (regardless of whether it's fat), I'd slowly experiment with large amounts of Hagaan Dazs.
The plain vanilla one. Other's might have some PUFA and pectin.
It's already calorie and nutrient rich. Adding honey will make it even richer food.

Careful not to take too much sugar than you can handle, if you suspect low insulin sensitivity.
Also, I'd suggest you measure your pulse and temps. This will give a good idea of what's your metabolism like.

XPlus,

I find it interesting that you gained 18kg but say you look leaner, thats awesome but were you training while gaining the weight? What did your diet look like and calories?

Also, why be careful with sugars if insulin sensitivity is low? What would be best to restore insulin sensitivity if it is low?

Sheik

There are lots of people around here interested in gaining weight and I'm one of them.

Like JR said, Cyproheptadine. I started out on .5mg and gained 5 pounds seemingly instantly. Just a few days, and it's stayed on. The heart palpitations kind of freaked me out though, so I haven't been taking it much since.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

Sheik said:
There are lots of people around here interested in gaining weight and I'm one of them.

Like JR said, Cyproheptadine. I started out on .5mg and gained 5 pounds seemingly instantly. Just a few days, and it's stayed on. The heart palpitations kind of freaked me out though, so I haven't been taking it much since.

was the weight gain a result of your increased appetite? my appetite is seemingly already pretty crazy. any more would be a burden financially

InChristAlone

There is a Peat quote about how he needed eat thousands of calories to maintain weight, but then when he took thyroid he could utilize the calories better and didn't need so much.

tara

TheHound said:
hmm..my waking temperature is usually in the mid 97's now and after breakfast easily reaches 98.6. sometimes late afternoon/early evening after eating it'll get up to 99.1 or so and I feel great. im always hungry and eat to satisfy all the time, so I think I just need to focus on eating a lot more. I'll focus on getting 3500-4000 calories consistently while trying to lower stress hormones I guess

This doesn't seem to me to be a crazy amount of calories to go for - it's a pretty normal amount for a twenty year old. If you are working out harder than most, and wanting to gain muscle, you may need to be at the top end of this, or maybe more.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

interesting post westside. I'll admit I highly considered using AAS in the past before reading up on many of Peat's material and realized the damage it could do in the long term

XPlus

EIRE24 said:
XPlus said:
Taking more foods that support the metabolism is likely to make you leaner.
I've gained about 18kgs since I started incorporating Peaty guidelines 6 months ago.
I've been told that I look leaner so many times than I could remember.
Also, I still fit in most of my clothes.

If I'd try gaining weight (regardless of whether it's fat), I'd slowly experiment with large amounts of Hagaan Dazs.
The plain vanilla one. Other's might have some PUFA and pectin.
It's already calorie and nutrient rich. Adding honey will make it even richer food.

Careful not to take too much sugar than you can handle, if you suspect low insulin sensitivity.
Also, I'd suggest you measure your pulse and temps. This will give a good idea of what's your metabolism like.

XPlus,

I find it interesting that you gained 18kg but say you look leaner, thats awesome but were you training while gaining the weight? What did your diet look like and calories?

Also, why be careful with sugars if insulin sensitivity is low? What would be best to restore insulin sensitivity if it is low?

I used to bodybuild heavily before ruining my digestion. Then I lost a ton of muscles trying to fix my health on the high fat, high protein, low carb diets. I liked how thin I used to look but I was feeling very stressed.

After Peating for few months, I started gaining weight rapidly. Ofcourse there's some fat gain but gains from muscle memory seems to outweigh that many times. I'm doing very little to no strength training most of the time.
I supplement low dose pregnelenone and DHEA. This may helped get me back some muscles, too.

Because the system would require more insulin to metabolise the extra glucose and if production from the pancreas is weak, there might be a danger from running into elevated blood sugar (hyperglycemia).
Ray mentioned things like niacinaminde, gelatin, brewers yeast and sugar (especially fructose) for diabetes.

The idea is to lower free fatty acids. Hence, the niacinamide and sugar (i.e. shifting reliance for fuel to sugar).

Peat said gelatin was used successfully to treat diabetes but I'm not sure if gelatin has a specific direct role in resolving the problem.
I believe when it is used along with sugar and adequate thyroid, it'll help repair the system, leading to better liver and pancreas functions, and eventually increased insulin production.

It would be more appropriate to use fructose (i.e. as it doesn't require insulin to be metabolised) and gradually build up the dose of sucrose as health improves.

I haven't researched or experimented with brewer's yeast.

natedawggh

TheHound said:
Made some decent changes to my diet and overall lifestyle in the past month or so. A lot more milk, a few glasses of orange juice, white potatoes, white rice, much more salt than I used to as well. I have been training four times a week for the past year and a half and recently brought it down to three times a week. Problem is, in the last few weeks i've been losing a decent bit of weight when im trying to gain. Could it mostly just be water weight and fat? I seem to be roughly the same size but I've noticed quite a few veins that I could never see before

Bulk is two things: Protein and carbs. If you are losing muscle you need more or better protein. Superior protein are sources low in tryptophan. For this reason I use casein protein powder. I can easily get over 100 grams a day this way, and I always try for 200g from all sources (fruit and potatoes do have protein, so don't discount those).

Carbs are the 2nd key and if you're not getting enough your body won't put on weight. In high school I ate tons of pasta as a competitive swimmer and put on 100 lbs in six months (I am 6'7" so this was not as large an amount as it seems). Pasta, of course, not being an ideal carb caused me many health problems, so make sure you have a constant supply of fruit/potatoes/real sugar to keep blood levels up and cortisol down. Also, high calcium is necessary, to prevent rises in prolactin/parathyroid hormone. shoot for 2000mg a day but not from supplements, as oroate, lactate, citrate actually mess up calcium metabolism.

Muscle builds automatically in the presence of high testosterone and high protein. You really don't have to do a lot to gain it, so if you're not then either something is lowering your metabolism and thus lowering your T or raising stress hormones, which would be inadequate carbs or inappropriate food sources. Or you're not getting enough protein and just need to increase that. If you are getting enough protein, then something in your diet and/or behavior is causing rises in stress and should be eliminated. White rice, for instance, is estrogenic... milk can be high in tryptophan so although peat endorses milk, if your metabolism isn't high enough to convert the tryptophan to niacin, then it is converting to serotonin. Higher calcium intake can correct this.

tara

@Westside PUFAs,
I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with being in the 'normal' range, esp. if that's where someone lands while eating a lot, and there is no need for all the guys to become body builders.
But as far as I can tell, those BMI ranges are quite arbitrary - I don't think they are based on anything about health. Neither medians nor mortality stats support them.
I tend to see them as one of the probably misguided bits of current culture, along with a few other common ideas about health, like sugar and salt and saturated fat are all bad, PUFAs are good, the more exercise the better, etc.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

natedawggh said:
TheHound said:
Made some decent changes to my diet and overall lifestyle in the past month or so. A lot more milk, a few glasses of orange juice, white potatoes, white rice, much more salt than I used to as well. I have been training four times a week for the past year and a half and recently brought it down to three times a week. Problem is, in the last few weeks i've been losing a decent bit of weight when im trying to gain. Could it mostly just be water weight and fat? I seem to be roughly the same size but I've noticed quite a few veins that I could never see before

Bulk is two things: Protein and carbs. If you are losing muscle you need more or better protein. Superior protein are sources low in tryptophan. For this reason I use casein protein powder. I can easily get over 100 grams a day this way, and I always try for 200g from all sources (fruit and potatoes do have protein, so don't discount those).

Carbs are the 2nd key and if you're not getting enough your body won't put on weight. In high school I ate tons of pasta as a competitive swimmer and put on 100 lbs in six months (I am 6'7" so this was not as large an amount as it seems). Pasta, of course, not being an ideal carb caused me many health problems, so make sure you have a constant supply of fruit/potatoes/real sugar to keep blood levels up and cortisol down. Also, high calcium is necessary, to prevent rises in prolactin/parathyroid hormone. shoot for 2000mg a day but not from supplements, as oroate, lactate, citrate actually mess up calcium metabolism.

Muscle builds automatically in the presence of high testosterone and high protein. You really don't have to do a lot to gain it, so if you're not then either something is lowering your metabolism and thus lowering your T or raising stress hormones, which would be inadequate carbs or inappropriate food sources. Or you're not getting enough protein and just need to increase that. If you are getting enough protein, then something in your diet and/or behavior is causing rises in stress and should be eliminated. White rice, for instance, is estrogenic... milk can be high in tryptophan so although peat endorses milk, if your metabolism isn't high enough to convert the tryptophan to niacin, then it is converting to serotonin. Higher calcium intake can correct this.

whats your source of casein powder?