Can one course of antibiotics lead to stubborn weight gain?

Mycholl

I took 2 courses of antibiotics for teeth abscess 2 months ago. I have gained weight and it won't go...it might not be related to the antibiotics but I wonder if it is.
And also why does Peat suggest antibiotics when there is lots of research demonstrating that antibiotics cause weight gain?

mrchibbs

I took 2 courses of antibiotics for teeth abscess 2 months ago. I have gained weight and it won't go...it might not be related to the antibiotics but I wonder if it is.
And also why does Peat suggest antibiotics when there is lots of research demonstrating that antibiotics cause weight gain?

No offense but I'm tiring of seeing blanket statements which are overly reductionist about what Ray is actually saying.

Ray doesn't suggest everybody take a daily dose of penicilin. In fact he recommends basic things like a carrot salad and mushrooms to reduce nefarious bacteria and endotoxin in the digestive tract.

Sometimes antibiotics are the only answer, and even then he has said repeatedly said that they are toxic and that he only takes part of a tablet for a few days.
This has nothing to do with the conventional cources of antibiotics recommended by medical practioners which can utterly wipe out your intestinal microbiome.

That being said, yes, absolutely. Antibiotics can affect your ability to lose weight, because the large intestine microbiome is a major player in your ability to metabolize foods and countless other processes, including the synthesis of many crucial compounds and vitamins.

I have experienced this, and rebuilding your microbiome can be really beneficial. I would recommend researching (even on this forum) about the best kinds of probiotics recommended by Ray and others in the past. You probably can look at phage and spore types of probiotics.

Foods like greek yogurt can also be helpful.

mostlylurking

A lot of antibiotics block thiamine function, which blocks oxidative metabolism which blocks the burning of glucose and also blocks the burning of fats. The "extra" unburned glucose is converted to fat (along with the diet fat) and put into fat storage. Happened to me last summer after taking Bactrim. I packed on 25 pounds in 3 months. see here: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

The solution is to massively increase thiamine via supplementation. The thiamine blockage doesn't just go away on its own.

video about thiamine: