Hyper, hypo or neurological issues?

MightyFall

Flourishing with good health in April 2013, I embarked on a three month ketosis stint that destroyed my health for the sake of a few pounds. As I toyed with Dr. Atkins' 20g 'Induction' phase and chose to fully commit to the regime, I saw my life dissolve into the existence of a lifeless zombie, frantically attempting to reverse the damage with extensive internet research and seemingly endless forum asking.

During the third day of induction there was a neurological event in my body, where my left limbs went weak and numb. I suspected electrolyte depletion so I increased mineral consumption yet never fully recovered. My brain function also shifted, a shorter attention span and short term memory. I committed as I was being reassured by forum members that it was a period of 'fat-adaptation' and I would start feeling good soon.

I never felt 'good' again. Nine months after quitting low carb, I had only partially recovered. Here I am 17 months later, struggling to even think. Struggling trying to remember what I did yesterday, in a state of confusion as my degraded brain can't process my environment. Even struggling to comprehend a page of a book without suddenly being distracted and reflecting on trivial, petty issues in my life. My mystery 'condition' has become so debilitating that I have even contemplated suicide, as I can't grasp the concept of 'ambition' or 'enthusiasm' to even have any.

My academic performance has declined so drastically that even simple concepts and topics have become so complexed and overwhelming I virtually zone out and disengage.

Excuse the repetitive nature of my threads but I would really appreciate some opinions on my symptoms;

Brain fog. Poor comprehension of surrounding environment, inattentive, lacking basic perception and exhaustion
Reactive hypogylcemia to all foods in all quantities and nutrients, particularly in the morning. I have not tested my blood sugar but the symptoms do mimic of a person with low blood sugar
Daily head pressure. Not a migraine or headache, but heavy pressure on the top of my skull, sometimes so bad that I can't move my head
Shortened attention span and poor memory
Poor libido and erectile dysfunction
Stress response to exercise, worsening symptoms of fatigue and making my condition more debilitating.
A tendency to rapidly gain fat around my abdominal area and hips
The inability to express or engage in emotions and general emotional detachment
Anxiety and stress easily triggered by trivial or petty issues. I guess the inability to cope with even moderate, every day stress overall
Depression
Body temperature fluctuation

I attempted supplementing with a dessicated thyroid supplement, to only have my sex drive even lowered and brain fog intensify, as well as the return of my neurological symptoms. I was also recently prescribed Levothyroxine by a doctor, a small dose of 25mcg. I reacted even more severely to the dose, with my neurological symptoms returning as well as shortness of breath, frequent urination, head pressure and intense brain fog.

Dietary changes have not affected or improved my symptoms whatsoever, from Peat to raw veganism. Low calorie or high, and macro-nutrient tweaks. I avoid polyunsaturated fats and eat whole foods with all the essential nutrients.

I have visited several general physicians without any success, with my symptoms mostly dismissed as 'psychological'. An endocrinologist visit left me feeling helpless, after my symptoms were yet again dismissed as psychological or somatic. The endo reassured me that I had 'no hormonal issues'. Several holistic practitioners have also not been useful, even with the prescription of concocted herbs and strange approaches to health and well-being.

Blood tests are normal. I had a full thyroid panel done in June -

ENDOCRINOLOGY
THYROID PROFILE 2
TOTAL THYROXINE(T4) 69 nmol/L 59 - 154
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 2.87 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.2
FREE THYROXINE 13.8 pmol/l 12.0 - 22.0
FREE T3 6.0 pmol/L 3.5 - 7.7
IMMUNOLOGY
THYROID ANTIBODIES
Thyroglobulin Antibody 11.2 IU/mL 0-115(Negative)
Method used for Anti-Tg: Roche Modular
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 5.0 IU/mL 0 - 34

I'm a 23 year old male. 180 lbs, 5'9.

Advice appreciated.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Maybe you could post your food intake or a cronometer snap shot.

answersfound

I'd guess you have estrogen dominance. Try high doses of aspirin. This will help bring down cortisol. Work your way up to 2000-3000 mg. Also try an antihistamine like Cyproheptadine or Amitriptyline. I have been taking amitriptyline and had some of the very same issues you describe, especially the feeling of low resilience and susceptibility to stress. Since taking these medicaton for only a week, I don't have anymore anxiety! If there's one recommendation I can give you it's get one of these medications. It's incredible how I have done a 180 so quickly. Hang in there. I have been toying with the Peat diet for a couple years now, but not until I introduced a drug like Amitriptyline did I see any significant improvement of my symptoms. I had painfully cold hands and feet from the stress, and that is now gone. You have a lot of inflammation and things like aspirin and anti-histamines lower inflammation.

Slappy Hands

Hi buddy. It sounds sort off like anhedonia. I've had it a few times when I overdid it on the happy fun time drug abuse, but it wasn't chronic.

I really don't know enough about hormones or neurology to give you any substantial advice, but I would remind you that the brain is designed to rewire itself on a daily basis and that "permanent" damage is a misnomer imo. Heck, the brain can even regrow bits of itself. It's not as fragile as we think it is a lot of the time. That's 99% of the problem with it, we are what we think and the brain is at the mercy of this as much as anything else.

Maybe it sounds like a weak suggestion, but I would consider looking into meditation? It'll train your focus and your memory and help you integrate with your emotions and sexuality too. It may be worth while looking into something physical as well, even if you don't feel like it. Martial Arts or dance/music or acting or something that takes your mind off this and puts it somewhere a bit more confident, you know? You've still got the power to do all these things and it may just be a matter of will

I know you're probably looking for more specific advice but when it comes to hormones and physiology, usually it's not a quick fix and tinkering can take a long time to get things right. I mean, you might feel like ***t, but it won't last, so don't get too caught up in it.

Also, don't mean this to sound insensitive, but finding the humor in your situation is what usually works for me. I can't honestly say I know how you feel, 'cause I don't - but I have an idea. Laugh at the fact that you're in a bit of state at the moment, cause chances are it'll be the impetus that drives you to a better place than when you began.

You could read up on GAPS too, if you haven't already. Dr Mc Bride's diet is much more psychologically/neurologically driven than Doc Peat's work (I understand hormones regulate things, but GAPS is more mechanistic in it's approach). There's also TCM, sports therapists, herbalism...psychology boards, drug addiction clinics, eating disorder forums, psychiatrists etc. If you want to build a framework of knowledge, don't dismiss anything too readily. Assimilate it all and don't rely on other people to offer a solution, though be gracious when they do haha. You'll figure it out eventually.

Useless advice over, promise!

tara

MightyFall said:
Reactive hypogylcemia to all foods in all quantities and nutrients, particularly in the morning. I have not tested my blood sugar but the symptoms do mimic of a person with low blood sugar
Since you can't have actually tested 'all foods in all quantities' etc, you might get more input if you are more specific.

MightyFall said:
I have visited several general physicians without any success, with my symptoms mostly dismissed as 'psychological'. An endocrinologist visit left me feeling helpless, after my symptoms were yet again dismissed as psychological or somatic. The endo reassured me that I had 'no hormonal issues'.
I think doctors should not be allowed to say things like this. It would be a step in the right direction if they would just acknowledge that we know when something is wrong, and admit when they don't know what's causing the problems.

MightyFall said:
Blood tests are normal. I had a full thyroid panel done in June -
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 2.87 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.2
As you probably know, this may be 'normal', but Peat would say he's never met a really healthy person with TSH over 2. Under 1 would be better. I don't know how to interpret the other numbers, but if they really are in a suitable range, then I understand that RT3 is another factor that can influence how the T3 affects you.

I read a couple of your previous posts, but have not read them all. You'll be more likely to get suggestions if you post what and how much you are actually eating. Also, are you getting plenty of light? Have you tried any techniques for improving CO2 retention?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals