Iron Panel

Debz

I have high iron and high %saturation but my ferritin is normal. My blood panel shows I now have liver issues due to the high iron.I am on NDT . Should I see a heptologist ? Or is it not that bad.

SERUM IRON 34.0 UMOL/L range 6.6-26.0

TIBC 55 UMOL/ range 50-72

% TRANSFERRIN SATURATION 62 H % range20-55

FERRITIN 165 NG/ML range 10-291

THYROXINE (T4) 71.4 NMOL/L range 64.0-167.0

TSH <0.01 L UIU/ML range 0.55-4.78

FREE T4 18.3 PMOL/L range 11.5-22.7

FREE T3 8.4 H PMOL/L range 3.5-6.5

PTH INTACT 0.9 L PMOL/L range 1.1-7.3

TPO ANTIBODY 14 IU/ML range 0-150

aguilaroja

I have high iron and high %saturation but my ferritin is normal. My blood panel shows I now have liver issues due to the high iron.I am on NDT ...

Is it possible there is an iron overload syndrome? Yes. Are things high enough to be concerned? Yes, probably, even more so if you are in menstrual cycling years. Your comment mentions liver issues, perhaps reflected in recent lab tests.

Health care provider follow-up seems prudent. There is not mention of symptoms in the post, but if there are new or persistent symptoms of various sorts, that is extra rationale for prompt follow-up. A hepatologist/gastroenterologist should be versed in working through iron overload issues. Even if you have an alternative view, getting orthodox evaluation may give information for decision-making. It’s likely that a conventional physician seeing the TSH value is going to instruct you to reduce the NDT dose, in addition to other recommendations. (I don’t know the history here and am only estimating about conventional physician feedback.)

In the short term, if supplements that include iron are being used, stop them. As possible, reduce intake of food/water sources with high iron too.

OP
D

Debz

Is it possible there is an iron overload syndrome? Yes. Are things high enough to be concerned? Yes, probably, even more so if you are in menstrual cycling years. Your comment mentions liver issues, perhaps reflected in recent lab tests.

Health care provider follow-up seems prudent. There is not mention of symptoms in the post, but if there are new or persistent symptoms of various sorts, that is extra rationale for prompt follow-up. A hepatologist/gastroenterologist should be versed in working through iron overload issues. Even if you have an alternative view, getting orthodox evaluation may give information for decision-making. It’s likely that a conventional physician seeing the TSH value is going to instruct you to reduce the NDT dose, in addition to other recommendations. (I don’t know the history here and am only estimating about conventional physician feedback.)

In the short term, if supplements that include iron are being used, stop them. As possible, reduce intake of food/water sources with high iron too.

Thanks for your reply.
I am now finally seeing a Doctor who believes I need more NDT as I am not optimal yet ,the problem is I am in Malaysia and they do not seem to have High Iron problems so my Doctor is saying I must be supplementing the iron ,which I am not and is ignoring the problem. He is concerned about my liver and wants me to detox but if the iron is causing the liver problems then that is not a solution . All my health problems I thought was due to estrogen dominance but now that I have done the full iron panel for the first time I see excess iron has the same symptoms.I had a Hysterectomy three years ago due to large cyst and high CA125 so no more menstrual cycles.
I am 49 .Should I be doing the expensive DNA test ?

TOTAL PROTEIN 77 G/L 64-83

ALBUMIN 49 G/L 30-50

GLOBULIN 28 G/L 20-50

A/G RATIO 1.8 1.2-2.5

TOTAL BILIRUBIN 12 UMOL/L <17

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 122 H IU/L 39-117

SGOT (AST) 33 IU/L 0-40

SGPT (ALT) 59 H IU/L 0-53

GGT 36 IU/L <38

CA 125 45.8 H U/ML <35.0

HOMOCYSTEINE 8.3 UMOL/L 5.0-15.0

aguilaroja

...in Malaysia and they do not seem to have High Iron problems so my Doctor is saying I must be supplementing the iron ,which I am not and is ignoring the problem. He is concerned about my liver and wants me to detox but if the iron is causing the liver problems then that is not a solution . All my health problems I thought was due to estrogen dominance but now that I have done the full iron panel for the first time I see excess iron has the same symptoms.I had a Hysterectomy three years ago due to large cyst and high CA125 so no more menstrual cycles.
I am 49 .Should I be doing the expensive DNA test ?

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 122 H IU/L 39-117
SGPT (ALT) 59 H IU/L 0-53
GGT 36 IU/L <38
CA 125 45.8 H U/ML <35.0

It is beyond the scope of the forum to weigh the cost/benefit for medical testing. I am guessing the genetic testing offered is for hemachromatosis. You might google about this and see what treatments are proposed if testing confirms this possibility.

It is concerning if a physician provider is discounting your report that you do not supplement with iron. It seems notably more practically to reduce the iron load first, more than various liver support measures. I suggest caution about so-called detox approaches than resemble 19th-century purgative techniques.

If one main water supply is used and you can find out whether its iron content is high, that is helpful. Many public water supplies have this data. If water from the home supply stains or is colored, that is an immediate signal.

The alkaline phosphatase and ALT values are slightly above the normal range. It is not necessarily quick to know how much CA 125 values relate to liver function. If you are eligible and have access to facilities, you might consider donating blood once. Alternatively, a single session of phlebotomy to lower iron could be done. You could see if this changes lab values or symptoms. This might give more information for decision making.

tankasnowgod

The TSAT number is pretty high, and could be causing issues on it's own. While the Ferritin number is within the lab range, there has been a lot of talk, on this forum and other places, that "high normal" ferritin isn't the healthiest, and that the ideal ferritin range is probably closer to something like 30-70.

If you are able to donate blood, that is one of the easiest and most reliable ways to lower ferritin, and iron stores in general. If you can work with a doctor who is knows about the iron issue, all the better.

Otherwise, you can look into dietary changes, or use of supplements like IP6, Lactoferrin, and Aspirin to lower iron.

tankasnowgod

Do you know what dose of IP6 is needed to lower iron?

Not really sure. I used tablets that had 800mg, and took 2 in the morning on an empty stomach. I don't have the exact amounts that ferritin went down for me at that time.

Sexypizza

I have high iron and high %saturation but my ferritin is normal. My blood panel shows I now have liver issues due to the high iron.I am on NDT . Should I see a heptologist ? Or is it not that bad.

THYROXINE (T4) 71.4 NMOL/L range 64.0-167.0

TSH <0.01 L UIU/ML range 0.55-4.78

FREE T4 18.3 PMOL/L range 11.5-22.7

FREE T3 8.4 H PMOL/L range 3.5-6.5

PTH INTACT 0.9 L PMOL/L range 1.1-7.3

TPO ANTIBODY 14 IU/ML range 0-150

Does NDT increase your pulse and temperature?