Please interpret my thyroid test?

MightyFall

I had a thyroid test recently to resolve my ongoing issues with chronic fatigue and a lot of other symptoms I posted about here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3506

I fasted before these results for 12 hours as recommended from my research;

ENDOCRINOLOGY
THYROID PROFILE 2
TOTAL THYROXINE(T4) 69 nmol/L 59 - 154
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 2.87 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.2
FREE THYROXINE 13.8 pmol/l 12.0 - 22.0
FREE T3 6.0 pmol/L 3.5 - 7.7
IMMUNOLOGY
THYROID ANTIBODIES
Thyroglobulin Antibody 11.2 IU/mL 0-115(Negative)
Method used for Anti-Tg: Roche Modular
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 5.0 IU/mL 0 - 34
Method used for Anti-TPO: Roche Modular

These are my results. Everything looks to be within the normal range and I'm frustrated. I'm still experiencing these symptoms. I can't lose weight, I get constant headaches, I have no motivation, little energy, poor attention span, emotionally detached.

Suggestions appreciated.

Shrimp

Looks like you might want to try some T4 or NDT supplementation if you haven't already. T4 is very low in range and TSH is not great; should be <1 from what I've read/experienced. Can't offer a ton of advice as I'm still feeling crappy and tweaking my own dose of medication, but I had a TSH similar to yours and was basically bedridden for several weeks until I got on meds.

OP
M

MightyFall

Shrimp said:
Looks like you might want to try some T4 or NDT supplementation if you haven't already. T4 is very low in range and TSH is not great; should be <1 from what I've read/experienced. Can't offer a ton of advice as I'm still feeling crappy and tweaking my own dose of medication, but I had a TSH similar to yours and was basically bedridden for several weeks until I got on meds.

What type of medication would you recommend? My doctor would not even acknowledge these results unless they are out of the 'normal range'. It's not likely he'd prescribe anything and probably dismiss me (speaking from experience) despite my pleas or listing these abnormal symptoms.

Most natural glandular thyroid supplements are T3 and T4. Maybe I should balance these ratios first with specific synthetic thyroid meds to get a balanced ratio?

Shrimp

MightyFall said:
Shrimp said:

What type of medication would you recommend? My doctor would not even acknowledge these results unless they are out of the 'normal range'. It's not likely he'd prescribe anything and probably dismiss me (speaking from experience) despite my pleas or listing these abnormal symptoms.

Most natural glandular thyroid supplements are T3 and T4. Maybe I should balance these ratios first with specific synthetic thyroid meds to get a balanced ratio?
I hear you; most doctors only care about labs, it seems. The optimal ratio of T4:T3 medication is different for everyone and is based on how well your body converts T4. Your labs make it look like you convert very well, as your T4 is low and T3 is just about in the top 1/3 of the range (see this: http://inkypixels.co.uk/TD-Calculators/ ... late=Chart). So if you take some T4, I would think it would increase both your T4 and T3, and you might need to add just a tiny bit of T3. As for a dose, I really have no idea. I'd start with a small amount of T4 for a few weeks and then go from there. It takes a while (4-6 weeks?) for levels to build in the blood.

OP
M

MightyFall

I finally got an appointment with a different doctor. He seemed to think that the body does not require too much T4 and that my TSH was 'optimal' and 'very good'. He explained that it wasn't necessary for T4 to be stimulated as long as it's converting to T3. He said that if I were to increase my T4, it would wreak havoc on my body and thyroid and possibly be 'dangerous'.

He insisted that this is stress related as all results appeared 'conclusive'. Despite me describing all my symptoms, he asked me to give up looking 'internally' and start investigating 'externally' and my environment. I persisted that I lead a minimal stress life, and my only stress is my symptoms that are preventing me from living an even fuller life.

Eventually he agreed to give me a 25mcg daily dose of Levothyroxine. I hope I feel better soon and get my life back.

After taking the recommended dose with breakfast, immediately I felt a lot the symptoms that I thought* I had recovered from come back. Heavy, short breaths, numbness and weakness in my left limbs, frequent urination, rapid heartbeat and intensified brain fog. Is this temporary? Should I stop taking the medication?

Ginali

Forum Supporter
I hear you; most doctors only care about labs, it seems. The optimal ratio of T4:T3 medication is different for everyone and is based on how well your body converts T4. Your labs make it look like you convert very well, as your T4 is low and T3 is just about in the top 1/3 of the range (see this: http://inkypixels.co.uk/TD-Calculators/ ... late=Chart). So if you take some T4, I would think it would increase both your T4 and T3, and you might need to add just a tiny bit of T3. As for a dose, I really have no idea. I'd start with a small amount of T4 for a few weeks and then go from there. It takes a while (4-6 weeks?) for levels to build in the blood.
I realize this is an older post, but I just wanted to say that the calculator looks like a very good tool! After exploring this forum, I decided to revisit my old blood test results, particularly those related to my thyroid. I've always been quite relaxed about them since they've consistently been within the normal range. However, I now realize that problems might only become apparent when it's potentially too late. I won't wait for the doctors. Could you please help me how to understand the calculator's results? I received two red "X" marks for "FT4 - 73%" and "FT3 - 89%". I'm beginning to think that I've always misunderstood and overlooked the significance of that test.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals