How to get less methionine, but enough protein?

OP
A

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I see some of the posts on methionine.
If I had 80 g a day of beef protein (I am in my 60s), that would give me about 2 g of methionine.
I have read that a methionine-limited diet should have no more than 1 g a day.
Can anyone comment?
Does Ray have preferred complete protein sources, with less methionine than beef and chicken?
Since whole gelatin is not a "complete" protein, and lacks methionine, can it be used a protein source?
Thanks.
Paul

Last edited:

Jennifer

Since whole gelatin is not a "complete" protein, and lacks methionine, can it be used a protein source?

Yes, it can. From one of Ray’s articles on gelatin:

“In some of the older studies, therapeutic results improved when the daily gelatin was increased. Since 30 grams of glycine was commonly used for treating muscular dystrophy and myasthenia gravis, a daily intake of 100 grams of gelatin wouldn't seem unreasonable, and some people find that quantities in that range help to decrease fatigue. For a growing child, though, such a large amount of refined gelatin would tend to displace other important foods. The National Academy of Sciences recently reviewed the requirements for working adults (male and female soldiers, in particular), and suggested that 100 grams of balanced protein was needed for efficient work. For adults, a large part of that could be in the form of gelatin.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals