CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Orange & Red Light Therapy Device - LGS1
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Vitamin A Does Ray Peat Suggest?

Discussion in 'A' started by Logan-, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Logan-

Logan- Member

How much vitamin A should be taken every day according to Ray Peat? I know he has talked about this in interviews, but I don't remember it.

2. James ardagna

James ardagna Member

around 50,000 iu if supplementing with thyroid

3. kitback

kitback Member

I tried to provide a link but it didn’t work. Google “Ray Peat on Vitamin A dosage” and you will find a link to a brief YouTube video.

4. Mufasa

Mufasa Member

That is topical.

5. Janelle525

Janelle525 Member

No, please don't use supplemental A. If you really believe you need more use food.

6. Andman

Andman Member

why is that?

7. James ardagna

James ardagna Member

a higher metabolism requires more vitamin a, conversely be cautious if hypothyroid with vitamin a supplementation. I think Peat mentioned if hypothyroid to start out with around 5000 -10000 iu no more.

8. James ardagna

James ardagna Member

Peat talks about supplementation of vitamin a in one of Danny Roddys generative energy podcasts, no. 31: safe supplements with ray peat.

9. kitback

kitback Member

Quote from Ray Peat interview on KMUD regarding Vitamin A dosage
    2-2014 Diabetes, Fats, Sugars, Starch Damage

“It depends on the status of your thyroid, exactly, because the thyroid hormone and Vitamin A are carried on the same protein in the blood and if you take too much Vitamin A, it can act as an antagonist to thyroid. It acts like a polyunsaturated fat, in competing against the thyroid hormone and can also block the production of adrenal and ovarian steroids if you get too much. 10,000 IU a day if your thyroid is okay. People with very high thyroid activity sometimes need more like 50,000 IU Vitamin A because the increased thyroid raises your requirement for Vitamin A so it’s important to adjust the dose according to the thyroid function.”

This was the case for me. I increased my vitamin A supplement to 10,000 IU per day from 5000. My temperature dropped a full degree and did not budge no matter how much I ate or slept. And I started gaining weight. At first I thought it was “winter sickness“. Then I came across the above quote and realized that this issue started at the same time I increased my vitamin A dose. Dropped it back to 5000 IU per day and my temperature was back up to normal the next day.

10. Ella

Ella Member

@kitback, thank you for posting and reminding us that too much of a good thing can be bad.

How many know exactly how much PUFAs they already have on board.

Optimal production of thyroid, adrenal and gonadal function is what we all aspire to on this forum.

Wise words @Janelle525.

Don't underestimate the easy conversion of beta-cryptoxanthins in sun-ripened fruits like oranges, watermelon, mangoes, papaya to retinol. We always think eating liver which is rich in vitamin A, but many are not thinking how much fruit contributes. Beta-cryptoxanthins are handled differently than betacarotenes. Conversion is much more efficient (we still don't know precisely how efficient) and is not dependent on healthy liver. Nearly, 50% of the population do not convert betacarotenes to retinol efficiently, however they easily convert beta-cryptoxanthins, the same constraints don't apply.

11. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

Thanks again @Ella for the wealth of information.
    Thanks for the Peat quote on A @kitback.

12. OP
    Logan-

Logan- Member

Thank you all for sharing.