How much raw carrot can you eat a day?

rayban

I've read on an another thread this:

"Yes, the plain carrot is good. For people who want more antimicrobial effect, the saturated fats and vinegar are helpful." -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

"Since the fiber [CARROT] will delay digestion and reduce absorption of other foods, I think it's best to eat it between meals, usually in the afternoon." -Ray Peat

My question is: how much would you want to eat daily? and when? second quote is important. Eating carrot by itself isn't too tasty to say the least but eating it as a snack may be a good way to get vitamin A etc and avoid supplements? it also has antiseptic features and im trying to get my tongue to be less white.

Has RP written how much he eats daily and when? also, does he just chew on a carrot or make a salad?

Last edited:
OP
R

rayban

I'm pretty sure Ray has said one medium carrot grated is good

When does he eat it? If you eat it at the afternoon... when does he drink something like milk or icecream? because there aren't that many spaces between meals. You either eat the carrot salad on breakfast, afternoon after the first main meal, or as a "desert" I guess after dinner.

peter88

When does he eat it? If you eat it at the afternoon... when does he drink something like milk or icecream? because there aren't that many spaces between meals. You either eat the carrot salad on breakfast, afternoon after the first main meal, or as a "desert" I guess after dinner.
I'm not sure when Ray eats it, but if you watch Danny Roddys day of eating video he eats the carrot salad after breakfast.

OP
R

rayban

I'm not sure when Ray eats it, but if you watch Danny Roddys day of eating video he eats the carrot salad after breakfast.
How long after breakfast? in this thread this poster basically said to eat it away from anything else:

You are better off having the carrot salad away from food as it will absorb the vitamins from your food and take it out of the body too.

"Since the fiber [CARROT] will delay digestion and reduce absorption of other foods, I think it's best to eat it between meals, usually in the afternoon." -Ray Peat

Making ribbons out of it with a potato peeler is much better too, as it acts like a rag mop. I attached a couple of pics of mine.

"Just chewing a carrot is best, any saturated fat around the same time is o.k. What doesn't work very well is to grind the carrot very fine." -Ray Peat

Bamboo shoots have the same action as carrots.

OP
R

rayban

He doesn't say, but I would assume at least an hour.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGEbaCiih5o

Interesting. It's unfortunate that it seems after removing milk I improved my post nasal drip. Can I have a way to still drink milk but avoid creating too much of that white back of the throat muccus thing? because im assuming milk makes me generate more of that since after experimenting with removing milk my nose is less stuffed (the muccus thing feels like its in the nose and then falls to the back of the throat or something I have to spit it). So that's an improvement but I feel depleted without my daily glass of milk with some cookies so im not sure what to do.

Also, is it safe to drink OJ twice a day? isn't that too much acid?

peter88

Interesting. It's unfortunate that it seems after removing milk I improved my post nasal drip. Can I have a way to still drink milk but avoid creating too much of that white back of the throat muccus thing? because im assuming milk makes me generate more of that since after experimenting with removing milk my nose is less stuffed (the muccus thing feels like its in the nose and then falls to the back of the throat or something I have to spit it). So that's an improvement but I feel depleted without my daily glass of milk with some cookies so im not sure what to do.

I'm not sure why but when I drink a lot of milk by itself or with white sugar I get a white tongue and mucus buildup. Once I started eating raw honey with my milk, both symptoms disappeared. If I remember correctly raw honey has anti fungal properties so you could maybe give that a try? Also have you tried different types of milk? Like raw, low fat, whole, etc?

Vileplume

Have you tried A2 or goat milk? Some, like me, digest that much better than regular cow’s milk.

How long after breakfast? in this thread this poster basically said to eat it away from anything else:

“Since the fiber [CARROT] will delay digestion and reduce absorption of other foods, I think it’s best to eat it between meals, usually in the afternoon.” -Ray Peat

“Bamboo shoots, raw carrot, and flowers of sulfur are other antiseptics that can reduce the white tongue.” -Ray Peat

“Some fibers, such as raw carrots, that are effective for lowering endotoxin absorption also contain natural antibiotics, so regular use of carrots should be balanced by occasional supplementation with vitamin K, or by occasionally eating liver or broccoli.” -Ray Peat

OP
R

rayban

Have you tried A2 or goat milk? Some, like me, digest that much better than regular cow’s milk.
I have only found a shop that sells it but its 20 minute trip on train (I don't drive) to buy milk. Considering I can't even stock on it because it only lasts for 8 days it doesn't sound viable. No way to order it online from where im at as far as I can see. I may still try it tho, but like I said it sucks you can't order online.
Btw, how safe is it to drink fresh milk? if its not pasteurized it can have bacteria, viruses etc, and as far as i can see the a2 is sold in fresh format only, lasts 8 days, at least this farm.

Vileplume

I have only found a shop that sells it but its 20 minute trip on train (I don't drive) to buy milk. Considering I can't even stock on it because it only lasts for 8 days it doesn't sound viable. No way to order it online from where im at as far as I can see. I may still try it tho, but like I said it sucks you can't order online.
Btw, how safe is it to drink fresh milk? if its not pasteurized it can have bacteria, viruses etc, and as far as i can see the a2 is sold in fresh format only, lasts 8 days, at least this farm.
I’ve consumed raw/fresh milk from 4 or 5 farms and/or goat owners, drinking it for over a year, and never had a problem. On the contrary, raw A2 milk has been the most healing food I’ve ever eaten. Based on the accounts of others on this forum, I would say that a huge majority of people get good results from raw milk and do not get problems with bacteria.

peter88

I’ve consumed raw/fresh milk from 4 or 5 farms and/or goat owners, drinking it for over a year, and never had a problem. On the contrary, raw A2 milk has been the most healing food I’ve ever eaten. Based on the accounts of others on this forum, I would say that a huge majority of people get good results from raw milk and do not get problems with bacteria.
+1
I've been averaging around a gallon of grass fed a2 jersey milk a day and have had zero issues.

OP
R

rayban

I've asked on the farm and it says it's pasteurized but has a high amount of a2 beta-casein. I may try this one but I have to go to the shop which is far so im not sure how to do this. If it lasts for 8 days, and bottle lasts me 5 days, I would need to go every 5 days in there to buy a bottle. It's surprising being in Spain I cannot find any way to order this type of a2 milk online. In the UK I was able to find some place but here I can't.

catharsis

If you eat it in isolation, away from meals, and only by itself or with vinegar, theoretically you can eat as many carrots as you want (until something bad happens to your GI or you turn into an orange person). If you start having it with fat or with meals, you might absorb too much carotene and might become either orange or hypometabolic due to carotene's unsaturation. I am not familiar with high vitamin A symptoms but that could be possible if you are able to convert a lot of the carotene or you're already replete in vit.A

Chad_Catholic

If you eat it in isolation, away from meals, and only by itself or with vinegar, theoretically you can eat as many carrots as you want (until something bad happens to your GI or you turn into an orange person). If you start having it with fat or with meals, you might absorb too much carotene and might become either orange or hypometabolic due to carotene's unsaturation. I am not familiar with high vitamin A symptoms but that could be possible if you are able to convert a lot of the carotene or you're already replete in vit.A
It turns my poop orange

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals