• @Blossom Is A Blessing To This Community, Let Us Be A Blessing To Her
    Click Here For More Information
  • Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Did Ray Peat really did vitamin k analysis of liver

freal

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
I read somewhere that Ray Peat says that liver has vitamin K. I cannot find about that anywhere on the internet, how much of it does liver have, according to Ray PEat. K2 or K1?
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
freal said:
I read somewhere that Ray Peat says that liver has vitamin K. I cannot find about that anywhere on the internet, how much of it does liver have, according to Ray PEat. K2 or K1?
Ray Peat said:
The other vitamins in liver, including vitamin K, function very closely with vitamin E, and the stably stored forms of vitamin E are likely to be a good approximation for our needs.
Source

Ray Peat said:
For vitamins, especially K, occasional liver can be helpful.
Source

These came up quickly inputting "liver vitamin K" into Dan Wich's Handy Dan-dy Directory

He doesn't mention amounts of Vit K or what type in these articles but as I understand it, it is K2 in liver.
BTW, the search I did in Dan's directory was the left search engine (custom searching only Peat's work)

Here are the returns for the same search of the entire Peat community using Dan's search engine.

I didn't review many of those but did see that Mittir asked this same question back in April in This Thread
 

Mittir

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
2,034
I did ask Ray Peat about liver's vitamin K content. His reply is in " Email Advice" section.
He made extract himself and there were few mili grams per Kilo.
But i have also read other sources they still claim liver is not a rich source of vitamin K.
Even people like Chris Masterjohn thinks liver does not have lot of vitamin K.
But he did not measure himself,he is just speculating.
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
Mittir said:
I did ask Ray Peat about liver's vitamin K content. His reply is in " Email Advice" section.
He made extract himself and there were few mili grams per Kilo.
But i have also read other sources they still claim liver is not a rich source of vitamin K.
Even people like Chris Masterjohn thinks liver does not have lot of vitamin K.
But he did not measure himself,he is just speculating.

Thanks Mittir!

@freal Here's what Mittir posted in the email advice depository.

Mittir said:
I just got a reply from Dr Peat. I asked him about the amount of vitamin K in liver. Here is his reply

Ray Peat said:
I made extracts myself, and there was a lot of it, but I didn't measure it exactly, just a few milligrams per kilo.
 

freal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2013
Messages
209
Ray Peat wrote:
I made extracts myself, and there was a lot of it, but I didn't measure it exactly, just a few milligrams per kilo.

I mean Ray Peat has discovered something new cutting edge information and nobody knows about it. I will try asking Chris Masterjohn if he did analysis.

Few miligram per kilo is a lot, consedirng that most supplements only sel 90mcg even of mk-4, only 2 brand sell mg of MK-4
 

Mittir

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
2,034
lazz said:
how much vitamin E ,A and k2 is recommended daily??

Vitamin E depends on one's PUFA storage. Generally 200 IU daily from natural mixed tocopherols.
Vitamin A : For average hypothyroid person around 5000 IU from retinol, not beta carotene.
Excess Vitamin A can block thyroid.
Vitamin K depends on aspirin use. But Vitamin K is very helpful in removing calcium from soft tissues.

Weekly serving of 4-6 oz of beef liver provides about weekly need of vitamin A and
good amount of vitamin K. RP does not like commercial supplements.
 
Joined
Aug 18, 2015
Messages
1,815
So if we eat 1oz a day of liver we should be good on vitamin K? according to cronometer, liver has no vitamin K lol.
 

YuraCZ

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2015
Messages
674
mayweatherking said:
post 105859 So if we eat 1oz a day of liver we should be good on vitamin K? according to cronometer, liver has no vitamin K lol.
vit K2 (mk4) is "factor X" this is how Weston Price named this vitamin.. Is found especially in grass fed animal products. As you can see goose liver - grass fed is very good source of vitK2, then good quality cheeses Brie, Gouda etc.. Then free range eggs etc.. Btw Peat don't have much idea about difference between vit K1-k2. I'm sure he had no idea about mk7 from fermented soy product natto etc.. But it is understandable. Nobody knows everything in depth..

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topi ... lved/#fig4
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2015
Messages
3,590
There are more subtypes of vitamin K2 than MK-4 and MK-7. See vitamin K content of liver here post 84812.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined
Aug 18, 2015
Messages
1,815
Giraffe said:
post 105863 There are more subtypes of vitamin K2 than MK-4 and MK-7. See vitamin K content of liver here post 84812.

do you think that is enough vitamin K to offset aspirin or is it enough in general? i'm doing 1oz of beef liver a day and taking 81mg of aspirin with every meal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2015
Messages
3,590
mayweatherking said:
post 105867
Giraffe said:
post 105863 There are more subtypes of vitamin K2 than MK-4 and MK-7. See vitamin K content of liver here post 84812.

do you think that is enough vitamin K to offset aspirin or is it enough in general? i'm doing 1oz of beef liver a day and taking 81mg of aspirin with every meal.
There are a couple of therapeutic uses of supplemental vitamin K2. To maintain health the vitamin K2 you get from liver and other foods is probably more than enough.

If I took aspirin daily I would supplement a little vitamin K2 (better safe than sorry). Also supplementation of vitamin D or high doses of vitamin E might call for extra vitamin K2. See Supplement ratios/interactions.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Similar threads

Top