How Much Salt Is To Much?

Josh

I've massively increased my salt intake recently, I eat two meals a day that i add salt with. I have the shaker on hand and salt to taste, but i'm talking continously salting throughout the meal until every bite i can taste that pleasant salt taste. Also eat salted butter and cheese during the day and in general i do eat water rich foods quite often like melons/grapes etc.

Is there a limit one should have with salt? What are the symptoms of too much salt? Is all that stuff with it rising blood pressure and other health related problems the mainstream says about it complete BS?

this is the one i use: Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt | Buy Online | Sous Chef UK

wild-bee

me too, I use this unrefined 'organic' french salt: https://www.souschef.co.uk/coarse-grey-sea-salt.html it makes food taste amazing and has lots of other minerals in other than sodium. Don't know how much is too much but I have 1 tsp in OJ, 1/4 tsp in bone broth and 1/4 tsp in vegetable juice every day. Studies done on salt consumption test highly refined sodium crap so no wonder they find problems

smith

You get cloudier urine with high salt intake? Urine "sediment"?

tankasnowgod

I've massively increased my salt intake recently, I eat two meals a day that i add salt with. I have the shaker on hand and salt to taste, but i'm talking continously salting throughout the meal until every bite i can taste that pleasant salt taste. Also eat salted butter and cheese during the day and in general i do eat water rich foods quite often like melons/grapes etc.

Is there a limit one should have with salt? What are the symptoms of too much salt? Is all that stuff with it rising blood pressure and other health related problems the mainstream says about it complete BS?

this is the one i use: Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt | Buy Online | Sous Chef UK

From this video, I heard that salt intake in Europe in the 1500s was about 40-100g a day, which is very high-

As far as excess salt rising blood pressure, it likely would only do it for a few hours/ days after you increase salt intake. Even then, most of the studies show it's only about 5 points or so. Chronically restricting salt is far more likely to increase your blood pressure, by causing a higher production of aldosterone. In fact, ACE inhibitors lower blood pressure by lowering aldosterone. The fact that increasing salt intake does the exact same thing tells me that common advice to reduce salt intake is fraudulent.

jzeno

@tankasnowgod

>40 to 100 g / d

Holy..

Before I began reading on salt on this forum I was getting 4.3 g / d of salt.

Need more!

stargazer1111

Sometimes I wonder if our cravings get mis-wired over time. I was similar to the 3 year old kid in the first video when I was a kid. I massively craved salt all the time. I would eat it straight from the shaker. I would dump tons and tons of it on everything, especially pizza. I remember when my parents would give me epsom salt baths, I would eat the epsom salt because it tasted enough like table salt.

I have struggled massively with stress and adrenal problems throughout my adult years. What is interesting is that craving for salt isn't really there anymore.

However, I recently started adding 1/2 of a teaspoon of baking soda to each 12 oz. glass of OJ I drink per day. I usually drink 4 12 oz. glasses per day, so this equates to 2 teaspoons of baking soda which gives me roughly 2.4 extra grams of sodium per day. This increases me up from about 2.6 to 4 grams of sodium per day.

This has really changed how I feel. I feel so much better after doing this yet my brain was not craving sodium chloride like it used to and I'm wondering why that is if I need this extra sodium.

What is interesting is that 4 grams per day seems to be the sweet spot. From what I can gather, going below 4 grams of sodium per day increases all-cause mortality and going over 4 grams per day begins to increase all-cause mortality.

LiveWire

I don't get the sea salt obsession. By definition is has to be one of the filthiest things people consume. Aside from the fact that the ocean is a toxic dump site and the end of the road for most chemicals and heavy metals manufactured on this planet, sea salt is usually harvested on coasts and beaches in the world’s poorest third world countries, where every sewer ends in the sea. You’re eating other people’s feces.

Regular mined salt is also sea salt, just from a sea that existed millions of years ago, hence it’s free of all the above issues.

Much like refined sugar, refined salt is very pure. Yes it often contains additives but you can easily find one with the lowest number. You can also find mined salt with zero additives. Though I’d say iodine is useful.

Last edited: