Is salt intake bad for kidneys?

Josh

Is it too much dietary salt bad for kidneys? Online there's a lot stuff saying this is the case..I posted recent blood tests which show creatinine as 124, so I'm trying to rule out everything, I do consume salt with 4 meals of the day and I salt to taste, quite a lot of salt compared to a normal person, and I wonder what effect it would have on kidneys?

(This high creatinine could well be something completely different, but interested if salt has any effect and if I should reduce intake

dannibo

Table salt is a poison and is detrimental to your kidneys. Himylayan salt on the other hand is beneficial to all your organs and blood, full of minerals. Nothing that's processed is good for you... Nothing.

Source Code

I'm pretty sure Ray Peat says that the himlayan salt isn't ideal because of the high iron content and the skewed mineral content would probably cause mineral deficiencies.

I'm.No.One

I'm pretty sure Ray Peat says that the himlayan salt isn't ideal because of the high iron content and the skewed mineral content would probably cause mineral deficiencies.
This is why I use the Celtic sea salt brand, they're great & do a ton of testing/have a lot of certifications.

Xin

This is why I use the Celtic sea salt brand, they're great & do a ton of testing/have a lot of certifications.
I second this. Celtic is probably the best although I'm not sure if it's really worth it's price. The marginal health benefits might not be worth it given that over 99.99% of the population are using table salt and most are doing just fine especially in developing countries.

I'm.No.One

I second this. Celtic is probably the best although I'm not sure if it's really worth it's price. The marginal health benefits might not be worth it given that over 99.99% of the population are using table salt and most are doing just fine especially in developing countries.
I think it's a pretty bold statement to say most are doing fine, considering humanity has never been sicker.

If you buy in bulk it's much cheaper. I buy 20lb bags of course for my salt grinder, it's about $40 & lasts me a really long time.

DonLore

Table salt is a poison and is detrimental to your kidneys. Himylayan salt on the other hand is beneficial to all your organs and blood, full of minerals. Nothing that's processed is good for you... Nothing.
Every salt is 99%-99.9% sodium chloride. Even celtic sea salt and himalayan. Stop spreading misinfo

Gadsie

I think the idea is that salt raises blood pressure which is bad for your kidneys. The thing is salt hardly raises blood pressure in the long term

DonLore

+1

Also because of it’s impurities.
Umm.. himalayan pink salt has 0.7mg of iron in 28grams.. if a regular amount of salt used daily is 5-10g, then thats 0.2mg iron, which is NOTHING. Some of the thing RP says is just idiotic, even while he is very right on many, many things