Eating too much salt?

Padmaaa

Hi,

I've been Peating in the last two months and I increased my salt intake drastically. Currently, I'm eating 1 tsp of coarse salt 3 times a day before meals. I just take the coarse salt into my mouth and swallow it with some water. I'm doing this because of edema due to estrogen dominance.

However, in the last couple of weeks, my stomach hurts after each salt intake and I have diarrhea almost every day. Is it possible that I'm taking too much salt and my body cannot handle it properly?

How much salt can be consumed at a time without any problem?

A couple of times, after eating 1 tsp of salt, my mouth become full of saliva and I had to vomit. Is it normal?

Mittir

That happens a lot . Salt can irritate stomach lining.
It is better to dissolve the salt in water, this will minimize irritation.
Best idea is to ingest the amount of salt that does not cause any stomach
irritation. Calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium compensate for each other.
If sodium is causing problem you can add more calcium , magnesium and potassium
to compensate for that. Sodium and calcium has more similarities in their activities.
Have you tried sodium bicarbonate? Hypothyroidism weakens the digestive system.
You have to be patient with healing .Do not force anything.
If something bothers your digestive system that probably will cause
more problems than the benefits you are supposed to get from that particular substance.
I have noticed that it is easier to eat salt with fruits like orange juice, guava or french fries.
You also can ingest smaller amount of salt through out the day.
I believe it is possible to absorb salt from salt bath. I think there is a thread
on that.

OP
P

Padmaaa

I realized that may be there is a connection between thyroid supplement and the amount of salt is needed. Meaning, that before I started taking T3/T4 combination I needed about 3 teaspoon of salt a day. But my stomach ache and diarrhea developed after started supplementing thyroid.

Is it possible that we need less salt (and our body can handle less salt) when the thyroid hormones in blood stream increase?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Padmaaa said:
I realized that may be there is a connection between thyroid supplement and the amount of salt is needed. Meaning, that before I started taking T3/T4 combination I needed about 3 teaspoon of salt a day. But my stomach ache and diarrhea developed after started supplementing thyroid.

Is it possible that we need less salt (and our body can handle less salt) when the thyroid hormones in blood stream increase?

Yes. Hypothyroid people tend to dump salt. So if you are improving thyroid function it would be safe to say that you would need less salt.

pboy

an isotonic salt solution with 1 tsp salt is about 30 ounces of water. So to not have the salt be irritating, for every teaspoon of salt (including what's on your food), consume about a liter of water total (water + your food and any moisture with it). If you have too much salt without water it can be irritating because you have to semi dehydrate yourself to try to get your fluid tonicity back in balance, and in the process lose blood volume (this is stressful to the kidneys as well).

superhuman

if regular salt is bloating you or making you retain water. Is it ok to just smack down some sodium bicarbonate instead with each meals since this does not cause bloating for me.

Dan W

superhuman said:
Is it ok to just smack down some sodium bicarbonate instead with each meals since this does not cause bloating for me.
Peat told Bruno from Peatarian that using some baking soda in place of salt had some benefits, including making sure you don't get too much chloride.

I think there was some concern about alkalosis when going too far on the baking soda side though, along with something about not having *enough* chloride (maybe for stomach acid?).