How Do I Know How Much Salt To Add To My Diet?

pepsi

My diet is mostly milk, OJ and coffee throughout the day.
I will have liver once in a while.
I do not like the taste of salt in my drink, so how do I know how much salt to eat?
I put salt on my spoon (probably about 1/4tsp), eat that and then down it with some liquid, a few
times a day.
So I obviously cannot salt to taste like Peat recommends.
Also, what will happen if I overdue it on the salt?
Thank you

jyb

I take a similar amount. Sometimes a lot more just to see if it would make a difference - so quite a bit of salt. I have only very rarely felt thirsty, which I understand if it happens would mean I overdid the salt.

Mastemah

Add a pinch in between each drink of fluid. Don't take too much in a single swallow. There's no way to know perfect. Tracking temps and he help.

NooMoahk

By symptoms and taste mostly. I pee too often and too clear when I don't consume adequate sodium.

himsahimsa

Average human throughput for salt (NaCl) is about 3.6 grams per day. A little less than a teaspoon, about 3/4. It varies according to everything but that's a start. Iodine is required by the kidneys to regulate salt excretion/balance. (There is of course a whole controversy about iodine, get a bunch once in a while and your body will figure out what to do with it.)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You are correct himsahimsa that humans do need iodine. The issue seems to be avoiding an excess in the modern world where it takes an effort to find salt without added iodine. Nothing is always good nor always bad, context is everything. Peat has written that typically Americans get 10 times more iodine than necessary so that is personally why I currently avoid seeking out iodine. He has also written that in a few limited situations carbon monoxide can be protective. All in context. I will be pleased to provide sources for this later today.

himsahimsa

I think a quick inventory of typical foods eaten by people who visit this site will show an iodine intake near zero unless there is a lot of seafood (farmed shrimp can have none). Really, add it up. Remember that vegetables grown more than 25 miles from the sea contain little to none, same for animals. Seafoods, ocean-foods, are the only common source. Iodized salt is less than trivial and most people here probably use something more "natural" anyway (I do). I know what RP says about it but add it up honestly for yourself, in your own diet. And consider fluoride, perchlorate and bromide (lots in baked products) displacing it. RP say don't get too much but I think he would recommend knowledge over wishful thinking.

Iodine content of crops, like content of selenium, and really all "trace" minerals is entirely dependent on soil concentration and is severely depleted (and often naturally absent) in most agricultural soils. Minerals are elements, they are not made by plants or animals, they must be acquired from the soil. Trace minerals are expensive, the farmer will only add them if the crop absolutely needs them and only in the minimum quantity necessary to get his crop. Most crops do fine with no iodine.

Nutritional tables are completely unreliable (as in total nonsense) when it comes to trace minerals. Completely.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I must say himsa you have indeed provided some points for reflection here. For myself personally, which is obviously the only thing I can truly speak to, I've had idolized salt here and there even though I don't use it in my own home. I'm pretty confident I probably have quite a bit in storage as well from former days of supplementing. Ray does emphasize seafood from the sea which I also partake of regularly as well. I'm certain too Ray has mentioned commercial baked goods as not the best choice as you have pointed out. I get the feeling if someone really did apply the basic dietary guidelines as listed on the forum then iodine deficiency wouldn't be an issue. We human beings are known to at times to not always make the best choices but I suspect even then if we are usually eating sensibly it does work out. I believe Ray may focus on thyroid because from his research he has found that optimizing its function is instrumental for regeneration so he probably finds it valuable to minimize any possible inhibiting substances. Minimizing iodine in the context of eating in the modern world does take a little effort. You do seem very informed on this topic and since it seems at odds with Peat maybe you should do a special in-depth post in the 'debate' section. I think many forum members would be interested in exploring this topic.

Logan-

I must say himsa you have indeed provided some points for reflection here. For myself personally, which is obviously the only thing I can truly speak to, I've had idolized salt here and there even though I don't use it in my own home. I'm pretty confident I probably have quite a bit in storage as well from former days of supplementing. Ray does emphasize seafood from the sea which I also partake of regularly as well. I'm certain too Ray has mentioned commercial baked goods as not the best choice as you have pointed out. I get the feeling if someone really did apply the basic dietary guidelines as listed on the forum then iodine deficiency wouldn't be an issue. We human beings are known to at times to not always make the best choices but I suspect even then if we are usually eating sensibly it does work out. I believe Ray may focus on thyroid because from his research he has found that optimizing its function is instrumental for regeneration so he probably finds it valuable to minimize any possible inhibiting substances. Minimizing iodine in the context of eating in the modern world does take a little effort. You do seem very informed on this topic and since it seems at odds with Peat maybe you should do a special in-depth post in the 'debate' section. I think many forum members would be interested in exploring this topic.

Do you still consume non-iodized salt mostly, and get iodine from seafood; or you started using iodized salt more?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Do you still consume non-iodized salt mostly, and get iodine from seafood; or you started using iodized salt more?
Non-iodized. I don’t worry about salt if I eat out or at someone else’s house but use canning and pickling salt at home.

Waremu

You can also put salt in gelatin capsules if you want to avoid having to chug it down with a spoon. How much salt is too much? That's very individual, but I usually do add salt to taste and larger amounts to my gelatin drinks. If I feel good and body temp and pulse is good, and mood is good, and my blood tests I get every few months are good, I am not worried.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I see, I've been trying to understand how often seafood should be eaten to get iodine from food, so that iodized salt is not necessary.
For the first few years I ate it once a week. Now I just eat it when I’m craving it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals