Difference between Salt and Sodium?

AnonE

After reviewing Ray's and Georgi's writings on salt I decided to start tracking it and making a concerted effort to get more, as I've been deficient lately. Some great links below:

More Dietary Salt Increases Urea Synthesis And Energy Requirements

My question is, what exactly is the difference between Salt and just Sodium, and is the high presence of the latter in many foods very detrimental?

Chemically I understand Salt = Na + Cl, while Sodium is just Na.
Adding salt to taste to a nice homecooked meal = good, but having extra sodium in random food eaten out (due to preservatives) = bad.
Is that right? If so, why? And is there any way to mitigate the extra sodium on its own, or re-balance it by supplementing with something else etc?
Sometimes there are just those days when we eat out a bit much...

Thanks for any help and understanding on this.

My question is, what exactly is the difference between Salt and just Sodium,
“The words “table salt” and “sodium” are often used interchangeably, but they do not mean the same thing. Table salt (also known by its chemical name, sodium chloride) is a crystal-like compound that is abundant in nature. Sodium is a mineral, and one of the chemical elements found in salt.”

youngsinatra

Salt (sodium chloride) consists of 40% sodium and 60% chloride.

Example: 10g salt = 4g sodium.

Atman

Adding salt to taste to a nice homecooked meal = good, but having extra sodium in random food eaten out (due to preservatives) = bad.
Is that right?
No.
Food eaten out is not bad because of extra sodium but because of toxic ingredients which are commonly used in restaurants. First and foremost high PUFA oils, but also thickening agents (e.g. carrageenan), preservatives, etc.

When it comes to salt, just use and eat as much as you feel like. It's as easy as that.

Vanset

Does anyone have any data about the naturally occuring forms of sodium in whole foods (milk, eggs, meat, fruit, starches etc.) compared to the 40/60 sodium/chloride in salt?
I bet the anti-salt guy would've had some, but he no longer posts.

OP
A

AnonE

Thanks for the responses. So then my question is, is Chloride (the second part of salt) important to have in the diet? It seems like this might be missing from more industrial food sources..

No.
Food eaten out is not bad because of extra sodium but because of toxic ingredients which are commonly used in restaurants. First and foremost high PUFA oils, but also thickening agents (e.g. carrageenan), preservatives, etc.

When it comes to salt, just use and eat as much as you feel like. It's as easy as that.
+1

OP
A

AnonE

Also does anyone have a decent idea of how caffeine (another Peat favorite substance) affects sodium? Might I need more of the latter to counter the diuretic effects of the former?

Vanset

Also does anyone have a decent idea of how caffeine (another Peat favorite substance) affects sodium? Might I need more of the latter to counter the diuretic effects of the former?
Yes with coffee you will have to get some extra electrolytes imo. Nothing you can't supply with just food.

Luann

Thanks for the responses. So then my question is, is Chloride (the second part of salt) important to have in the diet? It seems like this might be missing from more industrial food sources..
Definitely! In fact, one of the issues with eating out and eating processed food is that some of that sodium is actually monosodium glutamate. There are a lot of different opinions out there about MSG, but sodium chloride is generally better. Plus some believe that fluoride from tap water replaces halogens such as chloride.
I remember reading that coffee doesn't have as much diuretic effect if you drink it regularly.

Definitely! In fact, one of the issues with eating out and eating processed food is that some of that sodium is actually monosodium glutamate. There are a lot of different opinions out there about MSG, but sodium chloride is generally better. Plus some believe that fluoride from tap water replaces halogens such as chloride.
I remember reading that coffee doesn't have as much diuretic effect if you drink it regularly.
I didn’t know that about coffee. Coffee does not make me have to pee at all. It did in the beginning though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals