High-salt Diet Strongly Inhibits Cancer Growth

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am posting this study mostly as a response to the hostile exchanges I have had with doctors over what they claimed was "irresponsible" promotion of high salt intake. While these discussions mostly revolved around CVD, I also made claims that increased sodium intake would be protective for cancer as well. Needless to say, this statement did not go well with the MDs. The standard medical response was that sodium depletion instead of sodium supplementation is much more likely to be therapeutic. So, hopefully, they will take the study below more seriously. It demonstrated that a daily salt intake in the range of 30g-40g strongly inhibited (50%+) growth of several different tumor types. This quantity of salt amounts to about 2 tablespoons daily. While it is certainly not a small amount of salt and it would likely make any doctor go berserk and prescribe diuretics, much higher quantities of salt were prescribed to and consumed by soldiers during both WWI and WWII. The doctors back then were well aware of the protective effects of salt in conditions of severe stress and increased risk of infection (from suppressed immunity). The study below corroborates the latter part of the rationale and demonstrates that the anti-tumor effects of salt were driven by its immune-boosting effects.

High Salt Inhibits Tumor Growth by Enhancing Anti-tumor Immunity

"...To examine the effects of HSD on cancer development we used the B16F10 syngeneic melanoma transplantation model. This poorly immunogenic tumor model (29, 30) was chosen to analyze possible immune activating effects of a HSD in mice. We first applied a protocol previously used in models of hypertension and autoimmunity by pre-feeding mice with a 4% NaCl containing chow and 1% NaCl in the drinking water compared to a control diet before tumor inoculation (Figure 1A) (1, 4). Of note, HSD fed mice showed a significantly inhibited tumor growth in the B16 tumor model (Figure 1B). Delayed tumor outgrowth was evident as early as day 11 post-injection (p.i.), leading to significant differences in tumor size between both groups at day 13 p.i. and at the day of sacrifice (day 15–17 p.i.) (Figures 1B,C). This effect seemed to be specific for the dietary regimens, since besides water intake no other confounders like e.g., general appearance, weight gain, and food intake were different (Supplementary Figure 1 and data not shown) nor was there a direct effect of high sodium concentrations (additional 40 mM NaCl) on tumor cell viability during in vitro culture nor any effect of mannitol as an osmolyte control (Supplementary Figure 2). The NaCl concentrations used in vitro are comparable to the in vivo situation in high salt fed animals (24, 25). Only at concentrations much higher than 40 mM NaCl high salt conditions were toxic to tumor cells as reported for other tested cell types before (1) (Supplementary Figure 2). To examine if the results were reproducible also in other transplanted tumor models, we tested the HSD regimen in the Lewis lung carcinoma model (LLC) (31). Similar to the B16 model, HSD also significantly delayed LLC tumor growth (Figures 1D,E). Thus, HSD was able to significantly inhibit tumor growth in two independent tumor transplantation models."

"...Since it is well-known that a HSD could have a profound impact on the host immune system by several mechanisms (7) we first analyzed general immune parameters in tumor-bearing mice receiving a HSD compared to controls."

"...Importantly, a clear modulation of suppressive activity under high salt conditions was also observed in circulating human MDSCs from cancer patients. This indicates that high salt could similarly affect MDSC function in humans...In summary, we show that a high salt diet significantly delays tumor growth in two independent murine tumor transplantation models. This effect seems to be mediated through enhanced anti-tumor immunity by a functional inactivation of MDSCs. Since high salt conditions also affected human MDSCs in a similar manner, our data suggest that the targeting of this mechanism could potentially be a novel beneficial strategy to block MDSC function in settings of cancer immunotherapy."

SSP

High salt intake also increases IQ levels and inhibits skin diseases such as psoriasis, eczema, acne etc

T

TheBeard

I am posting this study mostly as a response to the hostile exchanges I have had with doctors over what they claimed was "irresponsible" promotion of high salt intake. While these discussions mostly revolved around CVD, I also made claims that increased sodium intake would be protective for cancer as well. Needless to say, this statement did not go well with the MDs. The standard medical response was that sodium depletion instead of sodium supplementation is much more likely to be therapeutic. So, hopefully, they will take the study below more seriously. It demonstrated that a daily salt intake in the range of 30g-40g strongly inhibited (50%+) growth of several different tumor types. This quantity of salt amounts to about 2 tablespoons daily. While it is certainly not a small amount of salt and it would likely make any doctor go berserk and prescribe diuretics, much higher quantities of salt were prescribed to and consumed by soldiers during both WWI and WWII. The doctors back then were well aware of the protective effects of salt in conditions of severe stress and increased risk of infection (from suppressed immunity). The study below corroborates the latter part of the rationale and demonstrates that the anti-tumor effects of salt were driven by its immune-boosting effects.

"...To examine the effects of HSD on cancer development we used the B16F10 syngeneic melanoma transplantation model. This poorly immunogenic tumor model (29, 30) was chosen to analyze possible immune activating effects of a HSD in mice. We first applied a protocol previously used in models of hypertension and autoimmunity by pre-feeding mice with a 4% NaCl containing chow and 1% NaCl in the drinking water compared to a control diet before tumor inoculation (Figure 1A) (1, 4). Of note, HSD fed mice showed a significantly inhibited tumor growth in the B16 tumor model (Figure 1B). Delayed tumor outgrowth was evident as early as day 11 post-injection (p.i.), leading to significant differences in tumor size between both groups at day 13 p.i. and at the day of sacrifice (day 15–17 p.i.) (Figures 1B,C). This effect seemed to be specific for the dietary regimens, since besides water intake no other confounders like e.g., general appearance, weight gain, and food intake were different (Supplementary Figure 1 and data not shown) nor was there a direct effect of high sodium concentrations (additional 40 mM NaCl) on tumor cell viability during in vitro culture nor any effect of mannitol as an osmolyte control (Supplementary Figure 2). The NaCl concentrations used in vitro are comparable to the in vivo situation in high salt fed animals (24, 25). Only at concentrations much higher than 40 mM NaCl high salt conditions were toxic to tumor cells as reported for other tested cell types before (1) (Supplementary Figure 2). To examine if the results were reproducible also in other transplanted tumor models, we tested the HSD regimen in the Lewis lung carcinoma model (LLC) (31). Similar to the B16 model, HSD also significantly delayed LLC tumor growth (Figures 1D,E). Thus, HSD was able to significantly inhibit tumor growth in two independent tumor transplantation models."

"...Since it is well-known that a HSD could have a profound impact on the host immune system by several mechanisms (7) we first analyzed general immune parameters in tumor-bearing mice receiving a HSD compared to controls."

"...Importantly, a clear modulation of suppressive activity under high salt conditions was also observed in circulating human MDSCs from cancer patients. This indicates that high salt could similarly affect MDSC function in humans...In summary, we show that a high salt diet significantly delays tumor growth in two independent murine tumor transplantation models. This effect seems to be mediated through enhanced anti-tumor immunity by a functional inactivation of MDSCs. Since high salt conditions also affected human MDSCs in a similar manner, our data suggest that the targeting of this mechanism could potentially be a novel beneficial strategy to block MDSC function in settings of cancer immunotherapy."

Thanks.

I guess the next question is: are all salts created equal?
I use grey salt from western France salt marshes, it tastes incredible, and I keep reading it's more nutritious and complete than the pink himalyan salt, which seems to be a great hoax.

SSP

I suggest that it is good for you, white Himalian salt, not orange salt that contains high iron

gaze

more and more im starting to think that potatoes are essential in the diet soley to act as vehicle for salt. Dont understand how anyone can put down 30-40g only on meat, cheese, and dissolved in juice

Inaut

Outside of mineral diversity when compared to Celtic salts, baking soda is an easy way to get sodium when it’s spaced out throughout the day. I start my day with 1/2 teaspoon of baking Soda in OJ.

Amazoniac

It's an interesting (and surprising) find, but what are the odds of something like this working in people? I get that the main point is to show that edemium nagmacide shouldn't be detrimental, yet it's also an encouragement to consume more instead of just challenging restriction.

It's not going to be a big leap anyway (8-9x RDA) since it's common not to be on a low-edemium diet, more like 4x the current intake, so it reduces the chances of deriving something impressive from it while tending you to overlook negatives to reach the therapeutic range.

Is it good to promote or inhibit inflammation in cancer? It elevated all inflammatory markers.
Koch was restrictive with it and Gerson opposed (immunity boost → shock → headache), doesn't mean that both can't be wrong, but makes me conservative about these ideas.

A related publication:
- High-salt diet inhibits tumour growth in mice via regulating myeloid-derived suppressor cell differentiation (@LLight)

Last edited:
T

TheBeard

Outside of mineral diversity when compared to Celtic salts, baking soda is an easy way to get sodium when it’s spaced out throughout the day. I start my day with 1/2 teaspoon of baking Soda in OJ.

Thought it made the juice fizz. Does it?

AnonE

How does one maximize the amount of salt they get in a not awful way? Aside from salting generously and drinking literal salt mixed in water I don't know what to do

Also: how much potassium to balance?

Birdie

lampofred

How does one maximize the amount of salt they get in a not awful way? Aside from salting generously and drinking literal salt mixed in water I don't know what to do

feta cheese is salty but still tasty, mashed potatoes can take huge amounts of salt without tasting salty

L

Lord Cola

Milk with sugar and coffee works relatively well with lots of salt. Still, it's not going to taste as good as salt with starchy foods.

GorillaHead

Cynthia386

"...Importantly, a clear modulation of suppressive activity under high salt conditions was also observed in circulating human MDSCs from cancer patients. This indicates that high salt could similarly affect MDSC function in humans...In summary, we show that a high salt diet significantly delays tumor growth in two independent murine tumor transplantation models. This effect seems to be mediated through enhanced anti-tumor immunity by a functional inactivation of MDSCs. Since high salt conditions also affected human MDSCs in a similar manner, our data suggest that the targeting of this mechanism could potentially be a novel beneficial strategy to block MDSC function in settings of cancer immunotherap