How long for thyroid medication to work?

mgrabs

I understand t3 is fast acting.. but being on a compounded t3 & 4 does it still build up? Can you run into uncomfortable symptoms in the beginning because its a new source of energy?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Yes, of course.

That's why Dr. Peat and Barnes recommend titrating up slowly.

For me personally, I have to stay on the same does for 2 weeks before considering upping my dose.

I also have to start slow, at around 1/4 pill of cynoplus per day.

OP
M

mgrabs

Yes, of course.

That's why Dr. Peat and Barnes recommend titrating up slowly.

For me personally, I have to stay on the same does for 2 weeks before considering upping my dose.

I also have to start slow, at around 1/4 pill of cynoplus per day.
Does thyroid hormone supplementation give you strong side effects to begin with, because your body is now switching its energy source? Which is sometimes people running on adrenaline & cortisol.. to now finally running off of proper thyroid hormone/energy?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Does thyroid hormone supplementation give you strong side effects to begin with, because your body is now switching its energy source? Which is sometimes people running on adrenaline & cortisol.. to now finally running off of proper thyroid hormone/energy?
Yes, when I go from taking nothing to taking too much especially. I personally cannot go from nothing to 1 gain. Have to go slow.

mostlylurking

I understand t3 is fast acting.. but being on a compounded t3 & 4 does it still build up? Can you run into uncomfortable symptoms in the beginning because its a new source of energy?
Are you going to an endocrinologist to get the compounded medication? If yes, then the doctor will start you low, wait a few weeks (4-6), do blood work to check how you're doing, then increase the dosage. This cycle will recur about every 6 weeks for several months as the doctor stairsteps your medication up to where you need it to be. Bloodwork in necessary to determine your status. When I went through this process in 2015, it took 9 months to get my dose optimized. I take Acella's NP Thyroid which is a prescription desiccated thyroid product. My endo offered a compounded t3/t4 prescription to me but I chose to stick with the Acella product as I do very well on it.

Normal Human

What "strong side effects" are you experiencing? From my understanding of Peats work, the side effects people may experience at the beginning ate not due to the body "switching its energy source". They are due to the fact that hypothyroid people have higher levels of adrenaline in their system and they are less sensitive to adrenaline. When thyroid levels increase (due to supplementing thyroid), the body becomes more sensitive to adrenaline. Once your body senses this, it will reduce the amount of circulating adrenaline. However, between the time of becoming more sensitive to adrenaline and your body reducing the amount of adrenaline there is a lag period of probably several days (but I don't think anyone knows exactly how long). During this lag period people are feeling the higher adrenaline but the body should self correct that.

Going low and slow (starting with half grain, not increasing any sooner than once a month) and doing other things to lower adrenaline (adequate glucose, salt, using glycine) are things that can probably help.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Are you going to an endocrinologist to get the compounded medication? If yes, then the doctor will start you low, wait a few weeks (4-6), do blood work to check how you're doing, then increase the dosage. This cycle will recur about every 6 weeks for several months as the doctor stairsteps your medication up to where you need it to be. Bloodwork in necessary to determine your status. When I went through this process in 2015, it took 9 months to get my dose optimized. I take Acella's NP Thyroid which is a prescription desiccated thyroid product. My endo offered a compounded t3/t4 prescription to me but I chose to stick with the Acella product as I do very well on it.

Ordering from Mexico is getting tiresome. I am going to try to find someone willing to work with me, but it's not always easy and sometimes expensive as many of them functional doctors do not take insurance.

Mostlythiamine, I often have to change my thyroid dose. What I need in the winter time is vastly different from my summer needs.

mostlylurking

Mostlythiamine, I often have to change my thyroid dose. What I need in the winter time is vastly different from my summer needs.
I think that's pretty standard for most people, the needing more thyroid in the winter than in the summer. Peat talks about it, somewhere.... It's tied with "winter sickness".

"Light promotes glucose oxidation, and is known to activate the key respiratory enzyme. Winter sickness (including lethargy and weight gain), and night stress, have to be included within the idea of the "respiratory defect," shifting to the antirespiratory production of lactic acid, and damaging the mitochondria."

OP
M

mgrabs

What "strong side effects" are you experiencing? From my understanding of Peats work, the side effects people may experience at the beginning ate not due to the body "switching its energy source". They are due to the fact that hypothyroid people have higher levels of adrenaline in their system and they are less sensitive to adrenaline. When thyroid levels increase (due to supplementing thyroid), the body becomes more sensitive to adrenaline. Once your body senses this, it will reduce the amount of circulating adrenaline. However, between the time of becoming more sensitive to adrenaline and your body reducing the amount of adrenaline there is a lag period of probably several days (but I don't think anyone knows exactly how long). During this lag period people are feeling the higher adrenaline but the body should self correct that.

Going low and slow (starting with half grain, not increasing any sooner than once a month) and doing other things to lower adrenaline (adequate glucose, salt, using glycine) are things that can probably help.
Wow thank you. Makes a great amount of sense as to recent symptoms. Are there any downsides taking too high of a dose at first? Besides possible anxiety etc. i do know spasms and tremoring happens. Just curious as to what happens starting on a 1 1/2 grains vs 1 full grain? My endo makes everyone start on a grain

Normal Human

Wow thank you. Makes a great amount of sense as to recent symptoms. Are there any downsides taking too high of a dose at first? Besides possible anxiety etc. i do know spasms and tremoring happens. Just curious as to what happens starting on a 1 1/2 grains vs 1 full grain? My endo makes everyone start on a grain
I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I don't see the advantage of starting at 1.5 grains. Broda Barnes started most people on 1 grain, and then after 2 months if their waking temperature was still low would increase by another grain. He said most people who had problems with taking thyroid hormone was becaue they started with too much or increased dose too fast.

It's not a race to a perfect temp and optimal thyroid levels. It's a process. As you raise metabolism the body is re-adapting to the healthier state. It's in the re-adaptation process that a lot of healing is happening. No reason to rush through it

OP
M

mgrabs

I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I don't see the advantage of starting at 1.5 grains. Broda Barnes started most people on 1 grain, and then after 2 months if their waking temperature was still low would increase by another grain. He said most people who had problems with taking thyroid hormone was becaue they started with too much or increased dose too fast.

It's not a race to a perfect temp and optimal thyroid levels. It's a process. As you raise metabolism the body is re-adapting to the healthier state. It's in the re-adaptation process that a lot of healing is happening. No reason to rush through it
What do you think may be the cause of shakiness? Hands fingers seem to shake/twitch. But im no Wheres near “ hot” or sweating or even have fast heart rate which hyper symptoms bring. I cant tell what this is. Shaky nervous and anxious. :(

Normal Human

What do you think may be the cause of shakiness? Hands fingers seem to shake/twitch. But im no Wheres near “ hot” or sweating or even have fast heart rate which hyper symptoms bring. I cant tell what this is. Shaky nervous and anxious. :(
Have you ever had this before or is it totally new just since starting thyroid? Are you mentally nervous/anxious/worried as well - or just this physical shakiness?

Basically Broda Barnes' idea was that if the morning temp isn't elevated (greater than 98.0 oral upon waking taken while still in bed before getting up) then a person is not hyper-thyroid. So, hyperthyroidism per se seems unlikely if the above isn't the case for you. Could be mental nervousness if you're anxious about taking thyroid, could be inadequate protein/sugar intake causing blood sugar to drop too much, could be inadequate electrolytes (magnesium, potassium), could be inadequate salt causing serum adrenaline to be too high, etc. What do you think about the above?

Lolinaa

If you are experiencing anxiety, you must need magnesium. It happened to me and a member here advice me taking magnesium at the same time and I was fine then. Try it if you haven't yet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals