How Do People Feel About Precioues Metals?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date

Waynish

It is fine as a method of diversification. But for someone who is just "trying to make money" as a non-investor, then I would not touch it. In terms of making money, I would stick to what you are expert in or want to be expert in. Of course metals are more reliable than cryptocurrencies!

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

It is fine as a method of diversification. But for someone who is just "trying to make money" as a non-investor, then I would not touch it. In terms of making money, I would stick to what you are expert in or want to be expert in. Of course metals are more reliable than cryptocurrencies!

I do however see the Bricks nations purchasing millions of troy ounces and baking their fiats with it.

As did J.P. Morgan Chase went from 0 holdings to 110,000,000 troy ounces in 7 years starting in 2011

The manipulation of the prices are an incredible time to buy. I purchased 20oz this morning. After it hit a 2.5 year low.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

20 ounce of gold? tthats quite a bit :)

No no.
20oz silver haha.

Gold is so expensive and the 80/1 ratio of silver:gold is much higher than the 60:1 normal, even though like 15:1 is the historical average. So if we buy silver now it can be traded for gold later at better ratios.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Betting agianst the crowd at such low prices on bullion is by far safer bet.

After the removal of the Silver standard by NIXON and OPEC is failing, since china and russia are trading in ruble. Nothing backs the dollar. Inflation is closer to 5% than 2%

Inaut

Not precious but copper will be big in the coming years

Waremu

Gold is better than silver for wealth preservation. Silver is much more volatile than Gold in price, which makes it less stable, though both do follow each other in a general price ratio over the longer term. There are a lot of people saying the opposite, but I don't find that argument to stack up, from my experience as someone with a background in economics/finance.

Silver is not a wealth asset to the rich as gold is. Silver's value is partly derived from it's industrial use as a metal, which can be both good and/or bad.

But Gold is mainly seen as a way of preserving wealth purely, amongst the elite, due to history, but also because it's a lot more wealth that is consolidated, whereas with silver, an equal amount of wealth will generally mean more weight and thus, less mobile, and a much more reduced ability to keep your wealth in safe hands by hiding it. These things are very big issues for investors who hold significant wealth in hard assets. With gold it is far easier to hide and move, which is especially favorable in an economic crisis type of environment, or if someone is living under a totalitarian government that heavily regulates how people spend cash, or even a cashless society.

That said, holding a small portion of silver to use like currency in the event that there is an economic crisis would also be favorable. Both of their uses. Gold for wealth preservation and currency devaluation, silver for currency devaluation and small currency replacement to sue for food, etc., in the event that there is a currency crisis, etc.

Out of a total portfolio of hard assets, I would hold most in gold and just enough silver to use as currency. So something like a 80-20 or 90-10 ratio.

Lastly, the premium you pay on silver really adds up unfavorable as opposed to gold over the long term, which is what also makes Gold more favorable. I recommend American Gold eagles to be the best if you live in the US (tax benefits, etc.).

Out of my total portfolio, I hold 25% of that in gold.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Gold is better than silver for wealth preservation. Silver is much more volatile than Gold in price, which makes it less stable, though both do follow each other in a general price ratio over the longer term. There are a lot of people saying the opposite, but I don't find that argument to stack up, from my experience as someone with a background in economics/finance.

Silver is not a wealth asset to the rich as gold is. Silver's value is partly derived from it's industrial use as a metal, which can be both good and/or bad.

But Gold is mainly seen as a way of preserving wealth purely, amongst the elite, due to history, but also because it's a lot more wealth that is consolidated, whereas with silver, an equal amount of wealth will generally mean more weight and thus, less mobile, and a much more reduced ability to keep your wealth in safe hands by hiding it. These things are very big issues for investors who hold significant wealth in hard assets. With gold it is far easier to hide and move, which is especially favorable in an economic crisis type of environment, or if someone is living under a totalitarian government that heavily regulates how people spend cash, or even a cashless society.

That said, holding a small portion of silver to use like currency in the event that there is an economic crisis would also be favorable. Both of their uses. Gold for wealth preservation and currency devaluation, silver for currency devaluation and small currency replacement to sue for food, etc., in the event that there is a currency crisis, etc.

Out of a total portfolio of hard assets, I would hold most in gold and just enough silver to use as currency. So something like a 80-20 or 90-10 ratio.

Lastly, the premium you pay on silver really adds up unfavorable as opposed to gold over the long term, which is what also makes Gold more favorable. I recommend American Gold eagles to be the best if you live in the US (tax benefits, etc.).

Interesting. Though I agree about everything on gold.

It's seems though as of now silver "is better investment than gold and will outperform gold percentage-wise from here. Silver has a bigger upside purely based on the raw numbers; adding in the industrial value and mathematics tells you silver is the play."Gold Or Silver? That Is The Question

I believe silver is just very under rated right now, particularly after the 40cent crash this morning. 2.5 year low.

Do you hold any PM?

Jon

I've heard gold is a poor investment on the interest returns? Like people just make money off it by selling it to people that have the notion it's worth a lot but in reality it's just the notion of epic value that makes people money off of it. I don't know how correct this is but it seems plausible since diamonds are like that.

Hazarlar

I have bought some silver. I try to buy every month something. I think it might be very useful in some possible catastrophic event in the future. I don't think that humanity reaches 22nd century without some major collapse. Gold might be more problematic in this case because it costs much and can't be made into smaller pieces easily.

Having some different cash might also be useful when internet goes down or banks stop to work.

I put some money to the cryptos also, bacause I don't want to be a guy who didn't to something, in case BTC is 100k in 2035.

Waremu

Interesting. Though I agree about everything on gold.

It's seems though as of now silver "is better investment than gold and will outperform gold percentage-wise from here. Silver has a bigger upside purely based on the raw numbers; adding in the industrial value and mathematics tells you silver is the play."Gold Or Silver? That Is The Question

I believe silver is just very under rated right now, particularly after the 40cent crash this morning. 2.5 year low.

Do you hold any PM?

That's what price pumpers have been saying for quite some time now. Ever since I began working the financials. And there are also a lot of misconceptions out there they push as well, like silver being as rare if not more rare than gold, etc., And actually, mathematically, it can be shown that silver is not as rare. I have seen a lot of pumpers try to do some math to prove the opposite, but there are a lot of errors in how they do the numbers, which can be easily shown with various metrics/calculations.

All the wealthy families that hold above ground gold keep it locked away very tightly, and some trade some of it for interest via banks. Much more so than silver. And much of the silver that is mined is never recycled, but lost. This greatly shows us the attitude the wealthy of towards silver. They don't value it as much as they do gold. But thats not to say silver has no value. It is and still will always be 'poor mans gold', but I doubt it will ever seen as being more valuable. Governments actually use gold in global trade. Much of this is not known by most people including economists, but the information is out there, but hard to find as most people don't know how to interpret the information by reading the correct papers and academic material/banking/government trade documents, etc.

Silver will appreciate many times over, but if it does, I can bet Gold will appreciate much more in a higher ratio because it will have a much higher demand for the mega wealthy who hold it, especially if governments have to revalue it against their debt at some point, which is likely. But again, most people really do not add up how much they end up paying in premium in silver over gold. Even if silver rose more percentage wise, which is possible, much of it would be offset by the premiums and taxes on silver that you dont have or have to a much lesser degree on gold. Industrial value is a factor for silver, but not enough to really have a large impact. In fact, I don't believe we will be having a future where much PM will be able to be mined anywhere near to the degree that they are today, and I don't believe will be having the futuristic robotic type future many predict we will have either, due to resource scarcity.

I do hold PM, as mentioned. About 90% Gold, 10% silver allocation of my non-cash PM portfolio.

Waremu

I've heard gold is a poor investment on the interest returns? Like people just make money off it by selling it to people that have the notion it's worth a lot but in reality it's just the notion of epic value that makes people money off of it. I don't know how correct this is but it seems plausible since diamonds are like that.

Gold is more of a store of value than an investment, though one can certainly speculate successfully with Gold and paper Gold. This is why typically a percentage of a portfolio will have some exposure to gold, to offset the paper loses in the event of a currency crisis, etc. But actually, with standard investments in the markets, after you factor in inflation over every 20 year period or so, and taxes, stock investing doesn't do all that much better than gold --- not unless you have a 401K type of account and reinvest dividends, or other similar strategies. I would say, most of the world has been duped into believing paper assets is real money rather than currency, and the very wealthy at the top know this and value gold much more differently. Diamonds are not rare like gold, and don't have the historical significance gold does, with a few exceptions perhaps, so I don't view them as being equal to gold. The diamond industry in many ways is a scam where they create artificial scarcity and form monopiles to inflate the price, much more than what the market would price it at. Gold however would be priced differently because it is rare, is held above ground and kept which shows it is highly valued), and can be priced against assets with a base production price already set by the market, with different factors.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

That's what price pumpers have been saying for quite some time now. Ever since I began working the financials. And there are also a lot of misconceptions out there they push as well, like silver being as rare if not more rare than gold, etc., And actually, mathematically, it can be shown that silver is not as rare. I have seen a lot of pumpers try to do some math to prove the opposite, but there are a lot of errors in how they do the numbers, which can be easily shown with various metrics/calculations.

All the wealthy families that hold above ground gold keep it locked away very tightly, and some trade some of it for interest via banks. Much more so than silver. And much of the silver that is mined is never recycled, but lost. This greatly shows us the attitude the wealthy of towards silver. They don't value it as much as they do gold. But thats not to say silver has no value. It is and still will always be 'poor mans gold', but I doubt it will ever seen as being more valuable. Governments actually use gold in global trade. Much of this is not known by most people including economists, but the information is out there, but hard to find as most people don't know how to interpret the information by reading the correct papers and academic material/banking/government trade documents, etc.

Silver will appreciate many times over, but if it does, I can bet Gold will appreciate much more in a higher ratio because it will have a much higher demand for the mega wealthy who hold it, especially if governments have to revalue it against their debt at some point, which is likely. But again, most people really do not add up how much they end up paying in premium in silver over gold. Even if silver rose more percentage wise, which is possible, much of it would be offset by the premiums and taxes on silver that you dont have or have to a much lesser degree on gold. Industrial value is a factor for silver, but not enough to really have a large impact. In fact, I don't believe we will be having a future where much PM will be able to be mined anywhere near to the degree that they are today, and I don't believe will be having the futuristic robotic type future many predict we will have either, due to resource scarcity.

I do hold PM, as mentioned. About 90% Gold, 10% silver allocation of my non-cash PM portfolio.

I appreciate the well written response and debunking. It was very informative.

Do you have an opinion or forsight on the US's isolationism and attempt to break china and other BRICKS nations from building the one belt road and China2025? This seems like a dying empires last ditch effort to hold onto a single polar world.

Waremu

I have bought some silver. I try to buy every month something. I think it might be very useful in some possible catastrophic event in the future. I don't think that humanity reaches 22nd century without some major collapse. Gold might be more problematic in this case because it costs much and can't be made into smaller pieces easily.

Having some different cash might also be useful when internet goes down or banks stop to work.

I put some money to the cryptos also, bacause I don't want to be a guy who didn't to something, in case BTC is 100k in 2035.

Having cash, and some gold and silver I think would be more valuable than BTC. BTC relies on a network that can easily go down if there is an EMP attack, grid broken, or war. I don't see it being around long term in the future because it uses up so much energy to mine and maintain the network, and in the near future energy scarcity will be a very real factor.

Jon

Gold is more of a store of value than an investment, though one can certainly speculate successfully with Gold and paper Gold. This is why typically a percentage of a portfolio will have some exposure to gold, to offset the paper loses in the event of a currency crisis, etc. But actually, with standard investments in the markets, after you factor in inflation over every 20 year period or so, and taxes, stock investing doesn't do all that much better than gold --- not unless you have a 401K type of account and reinvest dividends, or other similar strategies. I would say, most of the world has been duped into believing paper assets is real money rather than currency, and the very wealthy at the top know this and value gold much more differently. Diamonds are not rare like gold, and don't have the historical significance gold does, with a few exceptions perhaps, so I don't view them as being equal to gold. The diamond industry in many ways is a scam where they create artificial scarcity and form monopiles to inflate the price, much more than what the market would price it at. Gold however would be priced differently because it is rare, is held above ground and kept which shows it is highly valued), and can be priced against assets with a base production price already set by the market, with different factors.

Thank you for the insight :)

Fractality

I'm bullish.

Do you own any of the mining funds/stocks? It's been rough recently but they are extremely undervalued, even more so than gold/silver.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals