Investing in physical silver

Mauritio

Hi ,
I wanted to start a thread on how, where and what to do when investing in silver.
I simply chose silver because gold is too expensive in my opinion.
I dont want to trade or make money , I simply want to convert my money into something that will keep some of its value , no matter what's going to happen in the next months.

The scenario of you not getting access to (all of) your money, money loosing its value, another banking crisis or banks getting "hacked" seems to become more likely .

So does anybody have any advice on where and how to buy physical silver? Or any good information sources ?

That's Peats opinion on investing in physical gold and silver:

"Yes, those are durable and portable, and will always have some value."

Inaut

Hi ,
I wanted to start a thread on how, where and what to do when investing in silver.
I dont want to trade or make money , I simply want to convert my money into something that will keep some of its value , no matter what's going to happen in the next months.

The scenario of you not getting access to (all of) your money, money loosing its value, another banking crisis or banks getting "hacked" seems to become more likely .

So does anybody have any advice on where and how to buy physical silver? Or any good information sources ?

I’d start by buying junk silver. It will be easier to barter with because of the size. If you have a lot of money, buying large amounts from a certified, trustworthy dealer is your other option. It’s cheaper to buy larger bars right now due to high premiums but again, in the event of bartering, will be tougher to split up. You don’t want to buy a loaf of bread with a kilo of silver.... my two cents (silver). This may not be part of your idea due to being connected to the markets but holding good silver producers/miners may give you more leverage when silver starts to move up. More risky if the markets crap/cyber attacks and not physical but still an option...

you have made a good decision thinking about silver. I’ve always been a bug :)

Arcadia economics, silverbulls, sgt report all focus on the silver market.

Guacamayo

I would strongly recommend you keep some gold coins on hand - even if you're a silver bull, it's just much easier to find buyers for gold coins...gold bars not so much, even those small 1 oz bars. It's the same story for silver.

From personal experience I would caution you away from buying either gold or silver bullion bars if you intend on travelling abroad with your money in tow. Just stick to coins. They're easier to hide, pass off as normal fiat coins, and just infinitely lessen the stress you'll go through...especially if customs decide to single you out for a spot check.

As far as holding silver producers/miners/explorers, always remember that that's an investment. Physical silver or gold is there for when the ***t hits the fan. You can't compare the two. It's apples to oranges. When the internet or the global electric supply goes through a 6-month disruption, THAT'S EXACTLY when gold or silver coins will save you.

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot. To buy physical silver coins just search google for silver bullion dealers in your state or country. If you're in Australia I can recommend ABC bullion. Otherwise, check some reviews on reddit for bullion dealers. Reviews will usually steer you right.

JohnHafterson

L_C

Hi ,

I have been buying at Apmex.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I’d start by buying junk silver. It will be easier to barter with because of the size. If you have a lot of money, buying large amounts from a certified, trustworthy dealer is your other option. It’s cheaper to buy larger bars right now due to high premiums but again, in the event of bartering, will be tougher to split up. You don’t want to buy a loaf of bread with a kilo of silver.... my two cents (silver). This may not be part of your idea due to being connected to the markets but holding good silver producers/miners may give you more leverage when silver starts to move up. More risky if the markets crap/cyber attacks and not physical but still an option...

you have made a good decision thinking about silver. I’ve always been a bug :)

Arcadia economics, silverbulls, sgt report all focus on the silver market.
Thanks, mate. So your suggestion would be to buy small silver coins? In case I have to trade them in for food or other necessities...

I would strongly recommend you keep some gold coins on hand - even if you're a silver bull, it's just much easier to find buyers for gold coins...gold bars not so much, even those small 1 oz bars. It's the same story for silver.

From personal experience I would caution you away from buying either gold or silver bullion bars if you intend on travelling abroad with your money in tow. Just stick to coins. They're easier to hide, pass off as normal fiat coins, and just infinitely lessen the stress you'll go through...especially if customs decide to single you out for a spot check.

As far as holding silver producers/miners/explorers, always remember that that's an investment. Physical silver or gold is there for when the ***t hits the fan. You can't compare the two. It's apples to oranges. When the internet or the global electric supply goes through a 6-month disruption, THAT'S EXACTLY when gold or silver coins will save you.

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot. To buy physical silver coins just search google for silver bullion dealers in your state or country. If you're in Australia I can recommend ABC bullion. Otherwise, check some reviews on reddit for bullion dealers. Reviews will usually steer you right.
Thanks,seems like it makes more sense to buy some coins . The question is silver or gold ?
Isn't one gold coin already above 1k$?
I only want to invest like 3-5k$ ...
and wouldn't silver coins be a lot more easy to trade in for things or food ,simply because they have lower value . On the other hand I'm not convinced that it will really come to that level of misery that I have to trade in stuff for food...
Interesting interview on "sound money" some gold/silver talk:

View: https://quoththeraven.podbean.com/e/quoth-the-raven-263-lawrence-lepard/

Richard Werner economist discusses current/future impact on banking/economy/currency:

Thanks! I'll check that out.
I have been buying at Apmex.
Thanks, they do ship to Germany although I'm not sure how much tax I'd have to pay for it ...

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Interesting interview on "sound money" some gold/silver talk:

View: https://quoththeraven.podbean.com/e/quoth-the-raven-263-lawrence-lepard/

Richard Werner economist discusses current/future impact on banking/economy/currency:

Very interesting podcast !
Made me even more confident in buying silver and/or gold.
If China actually holds 20 times more gold than they say , wouldn't that be a huge argument for investing in gold?

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

If there's six months of no electricity, forget gold and silver. You'd want to be heavily invested in lead.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Thanks, mate. So your suggestion would be to buy small silver coins? In case I have to trade them in for food or other necessities...

Thanks,seems like it makes more sense to buy some coins . The question is silver or gold ?
Isn't one gold coin already above 1k$?
I only want to invest like 3-5k$ ...
and wouldn't silver coins be a lot more easy to trade in for things or food ,simply because they have lower value . On the other hand I'm not convinced that it will really come to that level of misery that I have to trade in stuff for food...

Thanks! I'll check that out.

Thanks, they do ship to Germany although I'm not sure how much tax I'd have to pay for it ...
Bump

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

So I think I'm going to invest in silver coins . I might also buy one or two l gold coins,not sure yet.
But silver coins seem a lot better for trading in case of a crisis.

Would it matter what kind of silver coin ?
I think not ,since I'm interested in the pure silver value of the coin and not the specific year or coinage that has been done ...

Any opinions?

I found 2 german websites that seem legit . Please share if you have any other German/european vendors .

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

If there's six months of no electricity, forget gold and silver. You'd want to be heavily invested in lead.
Wait ...not sure if you're joking or not . You mean bullets or just any physical lead?

Inaut

Wait ...not sure if you're joking or not . You mean bullets or just any physical lead?
Bullets. I say buy a bow as well. More long term survival/for hunting and no license needed!

Guacamayo

If you're based in Europe, buy European silver or gold coins - coins that come from either the British or Austrian mint. Assuming you'll still be in Europe when you go to sell, you'll get a higher price for them.

The most highly regarded European gold coins are Britannias (from the UK) and Austrian Philharmonic 1oz coins. When you go to sell them anywhere in continental Europe, you'll get a higher price for them than say Canadian Maple Leafs - Maple Leafs are more highly valued by buyers in the Americas.

I would say that in terms of overall reliability and quality (meaning they're highly valued worldwide and are unlikely to be fakes) my top 5 gold coins are:

1. Canadian Maple Leafs
2. South African Krugeraands
3. Austrian Philharmonic
4. US Gold Eagle
5. English Britannia

Australian ones are also good but for some reason a lot of them are forged.

Makrosky

Guys, what is the point on buying silver and gold? In the scenario you are portraying (a total mad max) the moment someone realizes you have anything valuable they will kidnapp you and shake you until you drop the last dime. And you would be lucky if they don't kill you.

If it is just a few coins, that is not gonna solve anything, just buy you a few more weeks of food or whatever. If it is a lot of them, then it might backfire on you.

I am saying this seriously. What is the point? or am I missing something?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

This is more for the scenario of food and money shortages, where people might still be semi-reasonable .
If happens what you say ,then silver won't be of much help ,that's why tanka said you should invest in lead...

If none of that happens ,silver is still at least an okay investment and like Peat said will always have some value and I'm not sure if the same is true for the money on my bank account.

tankasnowgod

It's kind of a joking way to say bullets. But in all seriousness, how are you going to survive six months with NO electricity? You can't cook or store food in the refrigerator, and all food in cold storage facilities will spoil, and deliveries will stop, and oil will cease to be pumped from the ground, and water and sewage probably will stop working, and so on. The entire monetary system will go down. In that scenario, bullets and weapons are going to be far, far, FAAAAAR more valuable than any bullion you have lying around.

Unless you are Amish or a prepper in the middle of nowhere, six months with no electricity will either spell death, or a radical change in how you live your life forever.

Bootselectric

Precious Metals are surely getting a beating recently. Markets are pricing in a rising dollar / deflationary scenario. This is very weird considering the amount of dollars printed.

Only some energy stocks are looking good. Tough to invest right now.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

It's kind of a joking way to say bullets. But in all seriousness, how are you going to survive six months with NO electricity? You can't cook or store food in the refrigerator, and all food in cold storage facilities will spoil, and deliveries will stop, and oil will cease to be pumped from the ground, and water and sewage probably will stop working, and so on. The entire monetary system will go down. In that scenario, bullets and weapons are going to be far, far, FAAAAAR more valuable than any bullion you have lying around.

Unless you are Amish or a prepper in the middle of nowhere, six months with no electricity will either spell death, or a radical change in how you live your life forever.
6 months is quite something . Althoug I've been stocking up on food ,I definitely wouldn't have enough food for a time frame like that, especially if I had to share with family and neighbors...

It's all better than nothing, you gotta start somewhere.

Btw, do you really think it will come to such a scenario ?

tankasnowgod

Btw, do you really think it will come to such a scenario ?

No, I was responding to a comment that suggested such a thing.

In Lindsey Williams DVDs about the Elite, he talks about how the Elite themselves are not survivalists, so I don't think anything like that would be done on a mass scale, or for anywhere near that long. There is plenty of oil to last several generations, even at rates far higher than we use it now, not to mention all the other sorts of ways to generate power (from rumored Tesla devices, to utilizing ocean waves, to hydrogen fuels, even running cars and such off plain ol' water). A power shortage would largely be artificial, much like any other "shortage" out there.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

If you're based in Europe, buy European silver or gold coins - coins that come from either the British or Austrian mint. Assuming you'll still be in Europe when you go to sell, you'll get a higher price for them.

The most highly regarded European gold coins are Britannias (from the UK) and Austrian Philharmonic 1oz coins. When you go to sell them anywhere in continental Europe, you'll get a higher price for them than say Canadian Maple Leafs - Maple Leafs are more highly valued by buyers in the Americas.

I would say that in terms of overall reliability and quality (meaning they're highly valued worldwide and are unlikely to be fakes) my top 5 gold coins are:

1. Canadian Maple Leafs
2. South African Krugeraands
3. Austrian Philharmonic
4. US Gold Eagle
5. English Britannia

Australian ones are also good but for some reason a lot of them are forged.
Thanks! I'm in germany ,so the Austrian ones seem interesting.
Do you know if there's something like a loss of value because somebody touched them or they've been handed over to a private person ? similarly to when a new car touches the streets it immediately looses like 20% of its value ...

I started a topic on reddit and it seems that you have to pay taxes on silver(19%) in germany that comes from the EU ,but a lot less (just 7%) on silver that comes from outside of the EU . So maple leaf is definitely an option .

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals