Help On Memory / Cognitive Issues?

Mellow

Recently my father-in-law has shown rather rapidly declining memory. A couple of years ago it was noticeable but slow, whereas now it is more obvious.

My wife and I have been trying to think how best to help, and this forum has been fabulous (also a huge help with my mother's cancer treatment, especially advice from @haidut was highly appreciated).

Where we are struggling is with how to navigate the tangle of drugs he is on. For example it seems a low dose lithium salt, and/or methylene blue can be very helpful in controlling or even reversing cognitive decline. However those both raise energy efficiency, and he is alredy on two separate drugs to raise insulin (i.e. lower blood sugar), so I'm worried he ends up with low blood sugar spells, a fall or something like that.

He had been always taking a fish oil supplement (his wife too), and we've got them to stop that. He takes Alogliptin and Glimepiride, both of which raise insulin (which will be in an attempt to lower his blood sugar, which trends above average). He also takes Amlodipine to lower blood sugar, and Lafutidine (lower stomach acid).

I suspect all of those will have similar root cause, which if treated could reduce the need for medication, but my main interest is in helping cognitive stability / recovery.

As supplements he takes B12, B5, vitamin-E (tocopherol succinate), and a thing called gamma oryzanol, which seems to be a form of plant sterol which is said to be protective against cancer - I din't know much about that.

I suspect he will have reasonably high PUFA in fat stores, so I had thought for now the only thing I could recommend is niacinamide to inhibit release of that, and aspirin to help cognitive issues. Any thoughts? Doses? Better to take with Vitamin-K?

Are a lithium salt and/or methylene blue better left aside for now?

Any thoughts / comments / suggestions much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Beastmode

Recently my father-in-law has shown rather rapidly declining memory. A couple of years ago it was noticeable but slow, whereas now it is more obvious.

My wife and I have been trying to think how best to help, and this forum has been fabulous (also a huge help with my mother's cancer treatment, especially advice from @haidut was highly appreciated).

Where we are struggling is with how to navigate the tangle of drugs he is on. For example it seems a low dose lithium salt, and/or methylene blue can be very helpful in controlling or even reversing cognitive decline. However those both raise energy efficiency, and he is alredy on two separate drugs to raise insulin (i.e. lower blood sugar), so I'm worried he ends up with low blood sugar spells, a fall or something like that.

He had been always taking a fish oil supplement (his wife too), and we've got them to stop that. He takes Alogliptin and Glimepiride, both of which raise insulin (which will be in an attempt to lower his blood sugar, which trends above average). He also takes Amlodipine to lower blood sugar, and Lafutidine (lower stomach acid).

I suspect all of those will have similar root cause, which if treated could reduce the need for medication, but my main interest is in helping cognitive stability / recovery.

As supplements he takes B12, B5, vitamin-E (tocopherol succinate), and a thing called gamma oryzanol, which seems to be a form of plant sterol which is said to be protective against cancer - I din't know much about that.

I suspect he will have reasonably high PUFA in fat stores, so I had thought for now the only thing I could recommend is niacinamide to inhibit release of that, and aspirin to help cognitive issues. Any thoughts? Doses? Better to take with Vitamin-K?

Many thanks!

I imagine you're doing the foundational Peat stuff already, so other things that I think are even more important as we age are the "bookends" of the day and of course sleep:
- Upon waking up, getting something OJ and a peaty protein source within 30 min
- Sleep environment (nothing plugged in the room, phones outside, air quality, some like blacking out the room completely, etc)
- Before bedtime, avoid blue light for at least an hour and getting something similar to OJ and a peaty protein source or warm milk.

You can tweak much of the above, but they're so obvious and can be game changers for people. I think the more symptomatic someone is, the easier it will be to see the improvements from the above tweaks.

moderate Hi-Dose Full B-complex,High-Dose ThiamineHcl-1000mg/d,
and still low dose PUFA,but Ratio between o6 : o3 1:1,with a time of o3-dominance for
rebalancing of platelet-phospholipids.

Saturation of platelets with either Arachidonic Acid or EPA will change fate of
COX 1-2 Products to either Hi-Inflam or Lo-Inflam.Type of Fatty Acid consumption is therefore
the sole determinant of amount and type of Inflammation.
There is no further deliberation in the body,it is clockwork in the COX-system.

Anti-allergic Diet,ripe Fruit and Hi-meat+Gelatine,Full-Spectrum MV like Thorne 2/d,
Magnesium extra.would recc against milk besides Ultra-Hi-Heated for extra long shelve live,
I do not believe that the bacteria in normal milk are helpful for most and cause for SIBO
in a number of affected.

:telescope::satellite:

OP
M

Mellow

Thanks for those replies, food for thought and to plan out a good day for him.

No comment on aspirin, niacinamide, MB - generally people think those are not so beneficial?

No comment on aspirin, niacinamide, MB - generally people think those are not so beneficial?

Aspirin is fine but GI-tract tolerance is of concern for many seemingly,Niacinamide mono is false thinking in that you have to have the B-group vitamins for proper
cellular transmission of function.
There is reason behind the 'b-complex' notion.

MB i have no firm standing on,
but seems harmless enough.
Salt intake from all sources below 2-3g/d.It was shown that Salt reduces clearance of Amyloid,and reduces
dendritic connection.

Focus should lie on the basics,in that he is consuming appropriate diet day to day.
The Montelukast mention is good,DHEA,High Protein 0.8-1.0g/lbBW,soft-boiled eggs for phospholipids and choline.

Constatine

Aspirin and MB can be good for cognitive health under most conditions. Exceptions would be if he has intestinal issues (aspirin) or is on any serotonin boosting drugs (MB can cause serotonin syndrome when combined with serotonin boosters). Also undereating and taking these supplements is a bad combo as they increase energetic demand due to their effects on mitochondria. Niacinamide can greatly increase energetic demand and can be hard on the intestines, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is sensitive to supplements.
Lions mane mushroom is quite effective against neurodegenerative diseases as it induces neurogenesis partly via upregulating ngf. It's very safe and healthy though it is a kappa agonist so it can temporarily cause dysphoria in people sensitive to this effect (But most people notice a mood boost).

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have a question since a family member of mine with cognitive issues is also on amlodipine however I thought it was a calcium channel blocker to lower blood pressure, not blood sugar?

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter

Many thanks!
Literally a minute ago I was reading:

Thirteen published clinical trials, involving a total of 4,054 Alzheimer’s patients consistently showed Alpha GPC:

• Boosted memory and attention
• Promoted recovery in stroke patients
• Reversed the symptoms of acute cerebrovascular disease
• Is far more effective than using choline or lecithin in treating disease

I would use that along with CDP-Choline as an adjunct to a good vitamin E. Would also consider getting Piracetam prescription or finding a vendor that has it for sale. Also a good b-complex would probably be a good idea as older folks invariably have multiple deficiencies.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals