Glucose Deprivation In The Brain Is A Causative Factor In Alzheimer's Dieases (AD)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
The brain goes to great lengths to create fructose. Note this study was under hyperglycemic conditions. The test subjects (humans) were given 20% dextrose solution. The finding is that glucose turns into fructose in the brain, nothing to do with ketones if I'm understanding correctly.

Right, I am just saying that if the brain goes through such great lengths to produce fructose it is probably not going to be fooled to switch to burn ketones. It will simply signal to increase cortisol and then use the resulting glucose to keep synthesizing fructose.
The study also calls BS on the mainstream medical claim that fructose is really only targeting the liver because it is the only organ that can metabolize it. Peat said this many times in his articles. Most highly energetically sensitive tissues bathe in fructose and go at great lengths to get and keep it. Fetus, gonads, brain, sperm, pancreas, liver, etc. So, fructose cannot be this devil that we are being told it is.

paymanz

Its is interesting, so brain converts some of glucose into fructose and use it....they say it is under hyperglycemia ,but who knows?!...maybe it happens all the time, these things are not well understood usually , things about brain..as its isolated.

Most highly energetically sensitive tissues bathe in fructose and go at great lengths to get and keep it. Fetus, gonads, brain, sperm, pancreas, liver, etc. So, fructose cannot be this devil that we are being told it is.

That's interesting, any reference or keyword to search and read more?
Thanks

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Its is interesting, so brain converts some of glucose into fructose and use it....they say it is under hyperglycemia ,but who knows?!...maybe it happens all the time, these things are not well understood usually , things about brain..as its isolated.

That's interesting, any reference or keyword to search and read more?
Thanks

Peat's article on fructose has some references and discussions. He also send some studies to people questioning safety of fructose showing that fructose is the primary sugar in the amniotic fluid, sperm, CSF, etc.

REOSIRENS

Very interesting haidut... Last time I have used fructose it didn't work well for me but I didn't have progesterone or pregnenolone to help me use fructose properly... I think bcaa and manganese taurine proline amino acid really help dealing with fructose or hyperglycemia

Mary Pruter

Mom is getting better, a little every day. I'm wondering, if she seems to end up doing a complete recovery, does she need to continue with the same dosing of the supplements or would she be able to or should go off or reduce them?

Koveras

This news just in - the brain synthesizes its own fructose.
http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/brain-produce-sugar-obesity/2017/02/27/id/775741/
So, the whole premise of the ketogenic diet may be false - i.e. that the brain lives on ketones during ketosis. It is much more likely that the brain ramps up fructose synthesis in times of ketogenic stress and this is of course done by ramping up cortisol production.

Right, I am just saying that if the brain goes through such great lengths to produce fructose it is probably not going to be fooled to switch to burn ketones. It will simply signal to increase cortisol and then use the resulting glucose to keep synthesizing fructose.
The study also calls BS on the mainstream medical claim that fructose is really only targeting the liver because it is the only organ that can metabolize it. Peat said this many times in his articles. Most highly energetically sensitive tissues bathe in fructose and go at great lengths to get and keep it. Fetus, gonads, brain, sperm, pancreas, liver, etc. So, fructose cannot be this devil that we are being told it is.

Seems to be a big part of the naked mole rats bag of tricks as well

Naked mole-rats 'turn into plants' when oxygen is low

Understanding how the animals do this could lead to treatments for patients suffering crises of oxygen deprivation, as in heart attacks and strokes.

"This is just the latest remarkable discovery about the naked mole-rat -- a cold-blooded mammal that lives decades longer than other rodents, rarely gets cancer, and doesn't feel many types of pain," says Thomas Park, professor of biological sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who led an international team of researchers from UIC, the Max Delbrück Institute in Berlin and the University of Pretoria in South Africa on the study.

In humans, laboratory mice, and all other known mammals, when brain cells are starved of oxygen they run out of energy and begin to die.

But naked mole-rats have a backup: their brain cells start burning fructose, which produces energy anaerobically through a metabolic pathway that is only used by plants -- or so scientists thought.

In the new study, the researchers exposed naked mole-rats to low oxygen conditions in the laboratory and found that they released large amounts of fructose into the bloodstream. The fructose, the scientists found, was transported into brain cells by molecular fructose pumps that in all other mammals are found only on cells of the intestine.

"The naked mole-rat has simply rearranged some basic building-blocks of metabolism to make it super-tolerant to low oxygen conditions," said Park, who has studied the strange species for 18 years.

At oxygen levels low enough to kill a human within minutes, naked mole-rats can survive for at least five hours, Park said. They go into a state of suspended animation, reducing their movement and dramatically slowing their pulse and breathing rate to conserve energy. And they begin using fructose until oxygen is available again.

The naked mole-rat is the only known mammal to use suspended animation to survive oxygen deprivation.

The scientists also showed that naked mole-rats are protected from another deadly aspect of low oxygen -- a buildup of fluid in the lungs called pulmonary edema that afflicts mountain climbers at high altitude.

The scientists think that the naked mole-rats' unusual metabolism is an adaptation for living in their oxygen-poor burrows. Unlike other subterranean mammals, naked mole-rats live in hyper-crowded conditions, packed in with hundreds of colony mates. With so many animals living together in unventilated tunnels, oxygen supplies are quickly depleted.

J

James IV

This is a fascinating thread. I have nothing to add other than that. Keep up the awesome research guys!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Seems to be a big part of the naked mole rats bag of tricks as well

Naked mole-rats 'turn into plants' when oxygen is low

Understanding how the animals do this could lead to treatments for patients suffering crises of oxygen deprivation, as in heart attacks and strokes.

"This is just the latest remarkable discovery about the naked mole-rat -- a cold-blooded mammal that lives decades longer than other rodents, rarely gets cancer, and doesn't feel many types of pain," says Thomas Park, professor of biological sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who led an international team of researchers from UIC, the Max Delbrück Institute in Berlin and the University of Pretoria in South Africa on the study.

In humans, laboratory mice, and all other known mammals, when brain cells are starved of oxygen they run out of energy and begin to die.

But naked mole-rats have a backup: their brain cells start burning fructose, which produces energy anaerobically through a metabolic pathway that is only used by plants -- or so scientists thought.

In the new study, the researchers exposed naked mole-rats to low oxygen conditions in the laboratory and found that they released large amounts of fructose into the bloodstream. The fructose, the scientists found, was transported into brain cells by molecular fructose pumps that in all other mammals are found only on cells of the intestine.

"The naked mole-rat has simply rearranged some basic building-blocks of metabolism to make it super-tolerant to low oxygen conditions," said Park, who has studied the strange species for 18 years.

At oxygen levels low enough to kill a human within minutes, naked mole-rats can survive for at least five hours, Park said. They go into a state of suspended animation, reducing their movement and dramatically slowing their pulse and breathing rate to conserve energy. And they begin using fructose until oxygen is available again.

The naked mole-rat is the only known mammal to use suspended animation to survive oxygen deprivation.

The scientists also showed that naked mole-rats are protected from another deadly aspect of low oxygen -- a buildup of fluid in the lungs called pulmonary edema that afflicts mountain climbers at high altitude.

The scientists think that the naked mole-rats' unusual metabolism is an adaptation for living in their oxygen-poor burrows. Unlike other subterranean mammals, naked mole-rats live in hyper-crowded conditions, packed in with hundreds of colony mates. With so many animals living together in unventilated tunnels, oxygen supplies are quickly depleted.

I think aside from the elevated levels of CO2, the big takeaway from this study is the protective effect simple sugars like fructose have in organisms under stress. Btw, apparently, the naked mole rat increases synthesis and blood levels of both fructose and sucrose. Both sugars are used under anoxic/hypoxic conditions, and the increase in sucrose was much larger than fructose. So, we can guess that sucrose was the main protective sugar in the naked mole rat under stress. While the study states that the ability to use fructose under hypoxic conditions requires special adaptation in that species, the same does not seem to be true about sucrose. So, we humans, likely respond in a similar manner and use sucrose under stressful conditions or at the very least can benefit from elevated sucrose levels when under stress or hypoxia/anoxia. It looks like the fructose (just as Ray said) is there so help metabolize the glucose when oxygen is not available. Thus, using sucrose in conditions of stress or disease is probably going go have therapeutic or at least protective effects, again as Ray has written many times. Here are some relevant quotes.

"...GC-MS metabolomics can resolve hexoses, which allowed us to observe a specific and marked increase in frucose and sucrose concentration in the liver, kidney, and blood of naked mole-rats 10min into anoxia...The unexpected appearance of high concentrations of fructose (up to 240uM in blood) and sucrose, a fructose-glucose disaccharide (up to 1.47mM in blood at 30min) (fig. S7), in anoxic tissues suggested that these sugars might fuel metabolism under hypoxic conditions...Fructose and sucrose (the latter is degraded to hexose monomers) are both increased to statistically significant levels in the naked mole-rat during anoxia. The source of these sugars is unknown."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sucrose in blood?! Strange if these animas synthesize it!

I think we might be able to synthesize it too. People given pure glucose by IV for months still have fructose in certain organs, and I think also small amounts of sucrose.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut - I won't be reading it because it's not about something important (such as inulin), but it could easily be a thread of yours, in facto I was surprised that it wasn't:
- Change from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism after brain death, and reversal following triiodothyronine therapy

Very interesting, thanks. Btw, the T3 dose they used was in the range of 5mcg-8mcg every hour, which is close to what Peat recommends when using pure T3. Maybe baboons metabolize T3 more quickly and that is why T3 is given every hour, but even then the dose does not seem that high considering people in hospitals for thyroid problems often gets hundreds of mcg on a daily basis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals