Gut bacteria overgrowth drives (cocaine) addiction; glycine can reverse it

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yet another study highlighting the importance of the microbiome for our health, and suggesting again that there may be no such thing as truly beneficial bacteria. Any bacteria capable of colonizing our GI tract seems to be capable of causing pathology if it is allowed to proliferate without restrictions. In this case, the bacterial overgrowth caused by cocaine usage formed a positive-feedback cycle such that more cocaine led to overgrowth of bacteria that consumes a lot of glycine, and the resulting deficiency of glycine exacerbated the cocaine "addiction", which led to more bacterial growth, further glycine depletion, and so on. As such, interventions such as antibiotics, insoluble fiber, and/or charcoal may be able to help break the vicious cycle. Adding glycine/gelatin to this regimen would probably be even more beneficial as it was the deficiency of glycine (an inhibitory neurotransmitter) that was the direct driver of addictive behavior.

Redirecting
How gut bacteria influence the effects of cocaine in mice

"...Additionally, by supplementing glycine back systemically or using a genetically modified bacteria that cannot use glycine, the response of the mice to cocaine falls back to normal levels, demonstrating that this amino acid can act as an addiction-like behavior mediator in animal models. "I was interested in the gut-brain axis, and I found it very new and exciting," says first author Santiago Cuesta, a neuroscientist at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. Cuesta and colleagues found that when cocaine enters the gut of the mice, it triggers the activation of the QseC protein that aids in the growth of γ-proteobacteria, such as E. coli. These bacteria, fueled by glycine, outcompete the normal gut bacteria that already exist in our digestive tracks, taking up most of the space and resources. "The gut bacteria are consuming all of the glycine and the levels are decreasing systemically and in the brain," says senior author Vanessa Sperandio, a microbiologist from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. "It seems changing glycine overall is impacting the glutamatergic synapses that make the animals more prone to develop addiction.""

Regina

Yet another study highlighting the importance of the microbiome for our health, and suggesting again that there may be no such thing as truly beneficial bacteria. Any bacteria capable of colonizing our GI tract seems to be capable of causing pathology if it is allowed to proliferate without restrictions. In this case, the bacterial overgrowth caused by cocaine usage formed a positive-feedback cycle such that more cocaine led to overgrowth of bacteria that consumes a lot of glycine, and the resulting deficiency of glycine exacerbated the cocaine "addiction", which led to more bacterial growth, further glycine depletion, and so on. As such, interventions such as antibiotics, insoluble fiber, and/or charcoal may be able to help break the vicious cycle. Adding glycine/gelatin to this regimen would probably be even more beneficial as it was the deficiency of glycine (an inhibitory neurotransmitter) that was the direct driver of addictive behavior.

Redirecting

"...Additionally, by supplementing glycine back systemically or using a genetically modified bacteria that cannot use glycine, the response of the mice to cocaine falls back to normal levels, demonstrating that this amino acid can act as an addiction-like behavior mediator in animal models. "I was interested in the gut-brain axis, and I found it very new and exciting," says first author Santiago Cuesta, a neuroscientist at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. Cuesta and colleagues found that when cocaine enters the gut of the mice, it triggers the activation of the QseC protein that aids in the growth of γ-proteobacteria, such as E. coli. These bacteria, fueled by glycine, outcompete the normal gut bacteria that already exist in our digestive tracks, taking up most of the space and resources. "The gut bacteria are consuming all of the glycine and the levels are decreasing systemically and in the brain," says senior author Vanessa Sperandio, a microbiologist from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. "It seems changing glycine overall is impacting the glutamatergic synapses that make the animals more prone to develop addiction.""
Amazing.

If the bacteria feeds off of glycine I don’t think I would add it back in until it is gone, to add it in orally.

Karmeleon

Or you kill the Bacterias with some old school combinations. Coke & Rum = good night out.

Amazing what bacteria could do and harm.
Thank you, time for some vinegar & sulz.

jmparret

My small intestine bacterial overgrowth only gave me lactose intolerance, it did not buy me any drugs.

I guess I hang out in the wrong neighborhoods.
Joe

Regina

Redirecting

This and your ATP inhibits bacterial overgrowth in the gut post offer such a great strategy for degenerative disease.

I'm so frustrated regarding my oldest brother's "parkinson's." He is now in an ALF without an ounce of fat on his body.
I simply cannot get my family to try a single thing. They will cancel me if I send anything health-related.
Watching him waste away is so deeply saddening.

My 98 year old mother with AD will likely outlive him.

golder

My small intestine bacterial overgrowth only gave me lactose intolerance, it did not buy me any drugs.

I guess I hang out in the wrong neighborhoods.
Joe
I have SIBO and lactose intolerance. How did you fix yours?

jmparret

it has not been fixed yet. they use a high dose of the travelers diarrhea antibiotic. I still have to go in for the test. my doctor does not want to give antibiotics out for that,testing first.

LadyRae

Another win for gelatin!😀

Attachments

• IMG_20221105_144228304_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221105_144228304_HDR.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 63

LadyRae

Those have acrylic or “gels” on them though, I can see the edges of it. No doubt though that gelatin is amazing for hair, skin and nails.
Nope! Just a pinky clear polish. It might be chipping off a little.... but I would never do gel or acrylic.

That's flattering that they look that good though, thank you

Mauritio

Redirecting

Very interesting ! Glycine is such a banger . Effective in low doses as well

I can't tolerate collagen or artificial glycine ,except when it's from magnesium glycinate for whatever reason ....

LeeLemonoil

Very interesting ! Glycine is such a banger . Effective in low doses as well

I can't tolerate collagen or artificial glycine ,except when it's from magnesium glycinate for whatever reason ....
Me neither really and given Collagens Glutamine content Im now avoiding it.

Even tried isolated / artificial proline btw? I’m thinking of trying it out.

Mg-glycinate I can tolerate much better. But I’m using a powder and it tastes horrible

-Luke-

Probably won't work with gummy bear addiction....

But in all seriousness: Interesting study. What's the mechanism of cocaine causing SIBO?

Mauritio

Me neither really and given Collagens Glutamine content Im now avoiding it.

Even tried isolated / artificial proline btw? I’m thinking of trying it out.

Mg-glycinate I can tolerate much better. But I’m using a powder and it tastes horrible
I tried 2-3 lab grade high quality glycine supplements and they caused allergic symptoms in me ,like dark circles and puffy eyes. None of that with the mag bisglycinate although most of it is actually glycine and artificial on top. Dont know why. But it is known for beeing well tolerated ...

Mauritio

Probably won't work with gummy bear addiction....

But in all seriousness: Interesting study. What's the mechanism of cocaine causing SIBO?
Lol I had to think of Ray's newsletter that is kinda pro cocaine during pregnancy... haha that's the most ray thing ever :D

jmparret

I have SIBO and lactose intolerance. How did you fix yours?
As i mentioned in another note i used enteric coated peppermint oil per this post

it worked in just three or four days. Now i have to get my digestive system working correctly with lots of bentaine HCL (started at 7 but am dropping) and Tudca (bile stuff). I also am dosing with salt every day because that helps the HCL formation in your stomach.

Things are working much better and i can eat dairy. I just bought ice cream and am putting cream cheese on my homemade bagels.

I have had SIBO for years and only found out what is was a year ago. This forum is so good.

Joe

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals