Antibiotics That Kill Gut Bacteria Also Stop Growth Of New Brain Cells

Ahanu

Just come across this article and it seems a bit contra to peats "free intestinal microbes" idea.
i actually havent made up my mind which story i want to believe (idea of a free gut vs healthy microbes gut) but i tend to be more on the healthy microbes idea side. also in this study it says that excercise could reverse the effects of the antibiotics...

In the new study, the researchers gave a group of mice enough antibiotics for them to become nearly free of intestinal microbes. Compared to untreated mice, the mice who lost their healthy gut bacteria performed worse in memory tests and showed a loss of neurogenesis (new brain cells) in a section of their hippocampus that typically produces new brain cells throughout an individual's lifetime.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...05.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

jyb

"It was surprising that the normal fecal transplant recovered the broad gut bacteria, but did not recover neurogenesis," says Wolf. "This might be a hint towards direct effects of antibiotics on neurogenesis without using the detour through the gut. To decipher this we might treat germ free mice without gut flora with antibiotics and see what is different."

They did not say it was due to the germ free gut specifically.

OP
Ahanu

Ahanu

They did not say it was due to the germ free gut specifically
yes i see, so the direct effects of antibiotics are still concerning.. is this fair to say?

jitsmonkey

"The Abx compounds were applied via the drinking water for 7 weeks and consisted of ampicillin plus sulbactam (1.5 g/l; Pfizer), vancomycin (500 mg/l; Cell Pharm), ciprofloxacin (200 mg/l; Bayer Vital), imipenem plus cilastatin (250 mg/l; MSD), and metronidazol (1 g/l; Fresenius). "

there's nowhere in normal practice that this would happen.

lvysaur

Seems like it's too early to make a call on this

-exercise improved the cognitive deficit
-probiotics improved the deficit
-fecal transplants did not improve the deficit, although it restored bacteria.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals