Generative Energy # 7: Polyunsaturated Fats In The Real Organism (with Haidut)

Dean

New Generative Energy Podcast With Haidut

well, I'm going to give this more liberal approach a shot. It does make me wonder though if micro-nutrient intake is largely irrelevant to someone above a certain threshold of health, then how important can they really be to achieving that threshold for someone below it?

How much niacinamide do you take daily and how much would you surmise someone would need to alleviate any concerns about phosphorus? You mentioned in another ongoing thread about using high dose aspirin in the beginning, along with niacinamide. How much aspirin did you use? How does that correlate with the opinion that taking aspirin is not a good choice for someone with a sluggish or fatty liver--which would include just about anyone who is overweight and/or hypothyroid? Is it just a matter of pushing through and taking a risk?

moss

Thanks haidut it is a brilliant and jam-packed interview.

haidut said:
post 102437 I am just an amateur with curiosity to learn and the tenacity (I am a Taurus) to experiment.
And you make sense in a world that regularly lacks it!
Thanks for your contributions and willingness to share and decode some of the more complex aspects of RP work.... and thanks to Danny for taking the initiative to make it happen.

haidut said:
post 102459 As far as I know calcium in greens is absorbed, Peat even said kale and the green leafs are excellent source of "minerals" and then he specified calcium, magnesium, some trace elements, etc.
I regularly throw a few leaves of kale when re-heating my home made broth then remove before serving as I find kale difficult to digest and unappealing to eat and believe kale contains a good amount of minerals.

Last edited by a moderator:

narouz

haidut said:
I'll tell people I am olympian without medals.

That self-thumbnail bookends well with Peat's,
who said he mainly thinks of himself as,
"a painter without clients." :lol:

I haven't listened yet, but looking forward to it!

haidut

Forum Supporter

Dean said:
post 102462 well, I'm going to give this more liberal approach a shot. It does make me wonder though if micro-nutrient intake is largely irrelevant to someone above a certain threshold of health, then how important can they really be to achieving that threshold for someone below it?

How much niacinamide do you take daily and how much would you surmise someone would need to alleviate any concerns about phosphorus? You mentioned in another ongoing thread about using high dose aspirin in the beginning, along with niacinamide. How much aspirin did you use? How does that correlate with the opinion that taking aspirin is not a good choice for someone with a sluggish or fatty liver--which would include just about anyone who is overweight and/or hypothyroid? Is it just a matter of pushing through and taking a risk?

I take 500mg niacinamide regularly. Niacinamide is an HDAC inhibitor and as such is a decent anti-cancer agent as well. So, I use niacinamide in place of aspirin when I am on the go and I don't have the conditions to make myself some aspirin + baking soda mix.
When I was in an insulin resistant state, I took 500mg x 3 daily for maybe 3 months as that was shown to reverse insulin resistance. I also did the 6g aspirin for 2 weeks as that was the human study with insulin resistance as well. That was circa 2012, so I don't do that any more. On aspirin - while it does inhibit lipolysis it forces the muscles to oxidize the fat within them so as per the study I posted today that may be more important for diabetes. And once the stress hormones have been lowered and insulin resistance reversed, you should have no problem losing the excess weight.

Sheik

Did Danny call him Geordi?

GeordiLaForge.jpg

Dean

haidut said:
I take 500mg niacinamide regularly. Niacinamide is an HDAC inhibitor and as such is a decent anti-cancer agent as well. So, I use niacinamide in place of aspirin when I am on the go and I don't have the conditions to make myself some aspirin + baking soda mix.
When I was in an insulin resistant state, I took 500mg x 3 daily for maybe 3 months as that was shown to reverse insulin resistance. I also did the 6g aspirin for 2 weeks as that was the human study with insulin resistance as well. That was circa 2012, so I don't do that any more. On aspirin - while it does inhibit lipolysis it forces the muscles to oxidize the fat within them so as per the study I posted today that may be more important for diabetes. And once the stress hormones have been lowered and insulin resistance reversed, you should have no problem losing the excess weight.

Wow. That's a lot of niacinamide and aspirin. You credit those two regimens with making the leap in your health to a life above the threshold? And you expect that now that you have made that leap, there is no looking back? Meaning, as long as you avoid starch and limit PUFA, you will be able to eat whatever you want for the rest of your life, with no worries?

haidut

Forum Supporter

Dean said:
post 102473
haidut said:

Wow. That's a lot of niacinamide and aspirin. You credit those two regimens with making the leap in your health to a life above the threshold? And you expect that now that you have made that leap, there is no looking back? Meaning, as long as you avoid starch and limit PUFA, you will be able to eat whatever you want for the rest of your life, with no worries?

I would not call that a lot of niacinamide. I also did an experiment with 8g+ daily and there is a separate thread on that. People with arthritis regularly take 4g+ daily, and the dose of aspirin for arthritis is similar (4g). Yes, as confirmed by the blood test and sugar tolerance tests, after the aspirin and niacinamide my insulin sensitivity was restored. I still had some extra weight but after doing the caffeine and vitamin K2 combo, liver improved and I lost the extra weight. I am not sure I can credit any single supplement or approach with improving my health. I think it was a combination of things and the specific journey that happened to have. But the niacinamide, aspirin, caffeiene and K2 were a big contributor.
I do expects setbacks. Just (hopefully) not the kind that keeps you in a zombie state for a week.

Dean

ok, haidut. very interesting. thanks. congrats on your good health and elevation to radio superstardom.

Peatri Dish

I just want to chime in with some gratitude for all you do, Haidut! You have helped me more than I can say. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Salty

Great interview, Haidut :clap: ! I too greatly appreciate all your contributions on this forum. You truly are on fire, as someone mentioned earlier. Perhaps it reflects the clarity of mind that comes with proper energy metabolism that we can all aspire to.

Also, just wanted to say I enjoyed your comments about your energetic elderly grandmothers :lol: . Right around the time I first started reading Peat, I knew a 101 year old Hungarian lady who I learned took (and swore by) a daily Alka-Seltzer. It didn't make sense to me until I learned later that alka-seltzer is essentially aspirin and sodium bicarbonate. She didn't care for many vegetables and drank daily coffee as well. She had perfect teeth (not a single fake tooth - pretty darn impressive at 101!) and her mind was sharp to boot. Anyhow, anecdotal but fascinating. Would love to know how many centenarians take a daily aspirin.

Hope there are more interviews in the future! What I would really want to see next is YOU interviewing Peat with YOUR questions.

Lightbringer

haidut said:
post 102412
Amazoniac said:
post 102405 That was excellent, haidut. Thank you! Hope that there are more invitations on the way..
Now it got me curious about your diet, have you posted somewhere in here?

My diet these days is pretty simple. I consume almost no starch and most of my carbs come from sugar-sweetened Pepsi. I prefer Coke with sugar but it's hard to find in DC, so Pepsi does it for now.
My protein comes from whatever is available in the National Geographic cafeteria, which is right next to where I work. It is an organic cafeteria, so they have decent cooked food every day. I eat meat, shellfish and some salad. My fat comes mostly from milk chocolate and the beef fat the cafeteria uses for cooking. If I am on the go, I use cheese sticks. I previously mentioned Sargento's low fat cheese but I get whatever cheese sticks are available in the grocery store. I try to get organic, but the regular cheese also sits well with me (so far).
Supplement-wise, I use caffeine, niacinamide, aspirin, biotin, P5P, and riboflavin. On a daily basis I probably only use the caffeine, niacinamide and P5P.

Great interview ! I think you mentioned 1-2 grams of PUFA in the interview - how low do you normally keep your total fat intake ? I want to try and lower my fat intake but I love eating prosciutto and refuse to look at the label when eating it ;)

kaybb

"Truth be told...." I am so grateful for your help, knowledge, and willingness to share that I cried at the beginning of your podcast! Yup, this old grandma has hope and some big health improvements. A big thank you !!

lexis

ilovewriting said:
post 102408
haidut said:
post 102361
lexis said:
post 102340 "However, the serotonin study says that similar effects are achievable by ingesting pCPA at a human dose of 13mg/kg and it is likely less risky than completely killing off your microbiota."- Haidut

This is for how many days?

Serotonin levels begin to fall within the first day of ingesting it, with steady effects achievable by the end of the first week. How long you take it after that first week is up to you and will depend on side effects and/or budget.

Reported side effects of PCPA (in certain subjects) ...headache, irritability, malaise at 2g/day. Lack of REM sleep without the expected REM rebound. REM spikes interfering with waking activity.

https://books.google.com/books?id=uxaVX ... 22&f=false

I infer from experience that serotonin is thoroughly depleted by drinking sufficiently strong coffee throughout the day, along with plenty of Peaty food (i.e., avoid starch/PUFAs/methionine-cysteine-tryptophan).

Reminds me a of what Danny Roddy wrote regarding LSD,one experimenter cried in joy and the scientists wrote on his report that LSD caused severe mental retardation.

lexis

ilovewriting said:
post 102408
haidut said:
post 102361
lexis said:
post 102340 "However, the serotonin study says that similar effects are achievable by ingesting pCPA at a human dose of 13mg/kg and it is likely less risky than completely killing off your microbiota."- Haidut

This is for how many days?

Serotonin levels begin to fall within the first day of ingesting it, with steady effects achievable by the end of the first week. How long you take it after that first week is up to you and will depend on side effects and/or budget.

Reported side effects of PCPA (in certain subjects) ...headache, irritability, malaise at 2g/day. Lack of REM sleep without the expected REM rebound. REM spikes interfering with waking activity.

I infer from experience that serotonin is thoroughly depleted by drinking sufficiently strong coffee throughout the day, along with plenty of Peaty food (i.e., avoid starch/PUFAs/methionine-cysteine-tryptophan).

Reminds me a of what Danny Roddy wrote regarding LSD,one experimenter cried in joy and the scientists wrote on his report that LSD caused severe mental retardation.

lexis

Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 102500 mes from whatever is available in the National Geographic cafeteria, which is right next to where I work. It is an organic cafeteria, so they have decent cooked food every day. I eat meat, shellfish and some salad. My fat comes mostly from milk chocolate and the beef fat the cafeteria uses f
haidut said:
post 102412
Amazoniac said:
post 102405 That was excellent, haidut. Thank you! Hope that there are more invitations on the way..

My diet these days is pretty simple. I consume almost no starch and most of my carbs come from sugar-sweetened Pepsi. I prefer Coke with sugar but it's hard to find in DC, so Pepsi does it for now.
My protein comes from whatever is available in the National Geographic cafeteria, which is right next to where I work. It is an organic cafeteria, so they have decent cooked food every day. I eat meat, shellfish and some salad. My fat comes mostly from milk chocolate and the beef fat the cafeteria uses for cooking. If I am on the go, I use cheese sticks. I previously mentioned Sargento's low fat cheese but I get whatever cheese sticks are available in the grocery store. I try to get organic, but the regular cheese also sits well with me (so far).
Supplement-wise, I use caffeine, niacinamide, aspirin, biotin, P5P, and riboflavin. On a daily basis I probably only use the caffeine, niacinamide and P5P.

Pepsi has no citric acid?

lexis

Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 102500 mes from whatever is available in the National Geographic cafeteria, which is right next to where I work. It is an organic cafeteria, so they have decent cooked food every day. I eat meat, shellfish and some salad. My fat comes mostly from milk chocolate and the beef fat the cafeteria uses f
haidut said:
post 102412
Amazoniac said:

Pepsi has no citric acid?

SQu

Thanks haidut that was really great! Nice to get that much info that fast! I have two questions - at about 34:30 while talking about linoleic acid you mentioned how many grams/oz a high fat diet was and that was "about what most people get" you said. How much was that? I couldn't quite catch what you said.

Secondly in these comments you mentioned the 2 week, 6g aspirin per day insulin resistance restoring dose. Aspirin has been great for me and I take it daily but taking that much started to feel bad. perhaps it was the acidity in the stomach, and you mentioned bicarb - maybe a way to mitigate that problem and keep going for the full 2 weeks?

haidut

Forum Supporter

Peatri Dish said:
post 102479 I just want to chime in with some gratitude for all you do, Haidut! You have helped me more than I can say. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

You are welcome! Thanks for keeping me going. The forum is a great source of inspiration to me.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Salty said:
post 102487 Great interview, Haidut :clap: ! I too greatly appreciate all your contributions on this forum. You truly are on fire, as someone mentioned earlier. Perhaps it reflects the clarity of mind that comes with proper energy metabolism that we can all aspire to.

Also, just wanted to say I enjoyed your comments about your energetic elderly grandmothers :lol: . Right around the time I first started reading Peat, I knew a 101 year old Hungarian lady who I learned took (and swore by) a daily Alka-Seltzer. It didn't make sense to me until I learned later that alka-seltzer is essentially aspirin and sodium bicarbonate. She didn't care for many vegetables and drank daily coffee as well. She had perfect teeth (not a single fake tooth - pretty darn impressive at 101!) and her mind was sharp to boot. Anyhow, anecdotal but fascinating. Would love to know how many centenarians take a daily aspirin.

Hope there are more interviews in the future! What I would really want to see next is YOU interviewing Peat with YOUR questions.

Thanks! That is my observation as well. I notice that the old people (80+ years) in my native country (as well as the US, Europe and other places I have been to) seem to be in a much better health than the 50-ish year old crowd, who also seem to be in much better health than the 30-ish year old crowd (relatively speaking). In other words, on the basis of some parameters like incidence of heart attacks, strokes, cancer, and auto-immune conditions the incidence of these conditions in a 50 year old is not much higher than the incidence in a 30 year old. Given the difference in age, the similarity of incidence shows that the 50 year old crowd is in better health then the younger generations. One of the major differences between these generations is the consumption of commercial food and of course their lifestyle. I don't know which one plays a bigger role but the trend is not good.
I hope that the trend can be reversed with proper nutrition and some supplements. Hopefully, as the forum becomes more popular, the avoidance of PUFA will become more and more common. One promising indicator is that my local grocery store started carrying potato chips fried in coconut oil and replaced their canola cooking oil (for the buffett food) with olive oil. Last week, I heard a woman chastise the store manager for selling cottonseed oil and telling him it is poison that is only suitable for her painting hobby. So, things seem to be improving:):

haidut

Forum Supporter

Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 102500
haidut said:
post 102412
Amazoniac said:

Great interview ! I think you mentioned 1-2 grams of PUFA in the interview - how low do you normally keep your total fat intake ? I want to try and lower my fat intake but I love eating prosciutto and refuse to look at the label when eating it ;)

I eat whatever fat is in the ruminant meats and the milk chocolate. On a daily basis I probably get less than 40g. Basically I eat to satiety and that normally comes down to about 10g of fat per meal. Sometimes I drink a fat free protein shake in the morning and get the fat-starved feeling so at lunch I may overindulge.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals