Fruit instead of ice cream for pre bedtime snack

Velve921

Normally I eat ice cream, cheese, dark chocolate and salt before bed. I notice I feel better with more fruit but I don't crave it as much ice cream before bed. Any insanely delicious fruit recipes or combinations that I can use for a pre bed time snack?

Dan W

I find frozen cherries alongside a bit of melted cheese a delicious snack before bed. It's a nice temperature/flavor contrast, but requires no real prep.

tara

I like fruit salad with cream drizzled on top. It would probably be nice with a bit of chocolate sauce on it too, if you crave chocolate.
What about orange julius (or some other juice) with a bit more milk and a bit less cream?
Cheese cake with a topping made from fruit-juice (concentrate?), gelatine, sugar?
Fruit smoothies with milk and cream?
You'ld still get some cream and milk protein, but a higher ratio of fruit?

OP
Velve921

Velve921

I found that I still need lots of saturated fat and sugar before bed time or I do not sleep well.

Ice cream with dark chocolate, cheese and salt does the trick.

Thanks for your thoughts Tara!

Giraffe

Ewlevy1 said:
post 117019 I found that I still need lots of saturated fat and sugar before bed time or I do not sleep well.
Greek yogurt with mango puree and grated dark chocolate on top

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Velve921

Velve921

Sounds intriguing except I am not a fan of greek yogurt. Also, through Peat was against yogurt due to its lactic acid properties?

Dan W

Giraffe said:
post 117080
Greek yogurt with mango puree and grated dark chocolate on top
That sounds delicious. I do greek yogurt, OJ, and frozen cherries (separately, although they might make a good smoothie).

Ewlevy1 said:
post 117115 Also, through Peat was against yogurt due to its lactic acid properties?
The Greek yogurt has most of it strained out. I think he's friendly towards the strained types:
Ray Peat said:
There are types of yogurt that have much of the acidic whey drained out, that aren't a problem. A spoonful or two of acidic yogurt isn't harmful, but a cupful of the acidic type can be enough to deplete the liver's energy stores, because lactic acid is converted to glucose in the liver, requiring energy. The 'strained' type that isn't acidic is similar to cottage cheese and is safe.

supercoolguy

I get Nuckin Futs with Greek Yogurt. Add 1/2 tsp Bakeing Soda added while i saute Rasins & some Candied Pineapple (Dried with Sugar) in Coconut Oil and Butter. Then dump-in some Rinsed Cottage Cheese.

supercoolguy

DW I forgot to ask.....What Greek Yogurt do you use? My lab tests show when you mix different brands of GY the strains engage in War like behavior. Happy 2016

Dan W

supercoolguy said:
post 117165 I get Nuckin Futs with Greek Yogurt. Add 1/2 tsp Bakeing Soda added while i saute Rasins & some Candied Pineapple (Dried with Sugar) in Coconut Oil and Butter. Then dump-in some Rinsed Cottage Cheese.
That sounds good too. Is the baking soda just there to counteract some acidity?

Ewlevy1 said:
post 117211 What Greek Yogurt do you use Dan?
Fage brand, though that's mostly based on liking the taste and it seeming to have less whey than a store brand. I don't know enough to find an ideal brand, other than checking the label to ensure they're not using thickening ingredients instead of removing the whey.

And I think you're on to something with the warlike yogurt behavior, supercoolguy. A tub of yogurt fell off the shelf, and not a single one of the competing brands tried to help.

supercoolguy

Fage rules. Yes the BSoda ruts out the bit of lactic acid... Turns into fluffy whip after awhile. Does not taste like Chewbaccas underwear after Hyperspace.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals