Following Ray Peat Diet In China

OP
H

Hasen

I must admit that I have to google Dongbei to know where that is, but I imagine from the name it is mid-north- a wild! guess! You're out of luck then, as far as oily food goes, unless you move with your wife to Taiwan, where you can find food much less to the oily side. And still use your fluent Chinese to work your way around what food it offers, seafood being no stranger to this island. And you will find plenty of organic food, as Taiwan is pretty high up in agricultural circles, and the organic sector should not be far behind.

Haha it means 'East North' or to reverse it we would say 'North East'. Yes there are places like Taiwan where the food is perhaps less oily but still way too oily to follow a Ray Peat diet. Any Chinese food is still gonna be about the same PUFA wise as KFC, McDonalds, Burger King etc. So the best thing is to cook your own food. To be honest though, wherever you live you're better off cooking your own food if you want to stand any chance of following Peat since almost all restaurants use bad oils. The only safer areas would probably be western food where its roasted/boiled etc.

Frying generally is not gonna be on my acceptable list...until people start using coconut oil that is.

Perhaps, you will find that Dongbei may not represent a large part of China when it comes to oily food, or it may. You would know better since you have moved a bit around China, though much remains to be covered. Good luck with your adventures there, especially with food.:)

Yeah I've also lived in Beijing and Tianjin for a few years. There are differences but the oil doesn't seem to be one of them. I've also visited the south. Even things like jiaozi (those meat filled dumplings) seem healthy since they're boiled, but they actually pour a load of oil directly into the mixture to make the filling. I've witnessed food like this and other cooked in people's houses in both Tianjin and Dongbei. They are definitely big fans of oil here.

Its a shame because in the past they would for example kill a pig and then use the fat from it to cook with. At least more healthy than liquid oils. I've even been to the (VERY) rural countryside here in China and seen that they still do that sometimes. Many of the habits of the very poor people in the countryside are much better than the people in the city.

yerrag

Frying generally is not gonna be on my acceptable list...until people start using coconut oil that is.
Can't imagine how life is without frying. Glad I have plenty of coconut oil.

Its a shame because in the past they would for example kill a pig and then use the fat from it to cook with. At least more healthy than liquid oils.
I haven't used it to fry, but my cousin once told me that shrimp fried in pork lard is the best thing under heaven.

OP
H

Hasen

I googled it - and shows how rusty my Chinese is - it's northeast instead of mid-north! Wow- that is really up north. That makes it close to North Korea already. Perhaps my knowledge of China is very southern, and Dongbei would be very different in many ways. Maybe your spoken Chinese and my spoken Chinese would be as different as a Welsh and a Scots, and the differences in food preferences would be even more pronounced.

So are you from the Philippines? Its interesting to find there really are people in Asia (if not mainland China) that follow Peat.

yerrag

Yes, thanks to the internet! It really helps. In the past, you have to rely on "experts," with a degree, and hope and pray they know what they're talking about. Still applies now, but in many cases, you can do a little "truth check" before you hire that expert.

It's cool to travel across cultures like you are doing. Many, many things to learn and to share, and barriers shattered.

lvysaur

I just use my Vietnamese coffee maker, and let the coffee drip into the cup with evaporated milk

What's the milk like there?

One of my favorite foods is unhomogenized milk, which has been "gently" pasteurized. This is hard enough to find in most of America.

yerrag

What's the milk like there?

One of my favorite foods is unhomogenized milk, which has been "gently" pasteurized. This is hard enough to find in most of America.
Most of the milk used in Vietnamese coffee is condensed milk, which is evaporated milk with plenty of sugar. These are not fresh milk, but rather reconstituted from powdered milk. Dairy cows are not as prevalent in Southeast Asia, and fresh milk is a luxury item.

milk_lover

Most of the milk used in Vietnamese coffee is condensed milk, which is evaporated milk with plenty of sugar. These are not fresh milk, but rather reconstituted from powdered milk. Dairy cows are not as prevalent in Southeast Asia, and fresh milk is a luxury item.
Last week I went to Hong Kong for three days. Was a very beautiful trip. Anyways, next to my hotel there were some groceries similar to 7 11 style and none of them carried milk! :arghh:

It was weird yet amusing.

milk_lover

BTW I am currently doing Peat diet in Korea with no problem. I enjoy their traditional food too.

milk_lover

So what does that consist of?
oh there are plenty of milk and OJ and fresh fruits everywhere. Most of the milk brands in the supermarket have no added stuff, just pure milk, even the low-fat milk. I eat quite a lot of seafood here; I enjoy their traditional seafood soup in a big bowl filled with salt, hot spicy taste, and cooked vegetables and noodles. I eat also bulgogi, barbacue style beef with white rice. I don't shy away from starch like so many members here.

Basically anything that tastes good without PUFA, I eat. I have no time to think about food so much because I am very busy at work.

My knock against restaurants all over has to do with their choice of oil, which is why I'm glad I don't have to eat out that much. They all use the cheapest oil, as coconut oil is expensive. If the Philippine government knows how to market coconut oil (of which the Philippines is the largest producer) , it should start on a campaign of "Coconut Oil Used Here" for restaurants so patrons can benefit from eating food cooked with the right kind of oil. The US oil industry's promotion of corn, soy, and canola oil (with the Canadian oil seed people) as "heart-healthy" has done a great disservice to the whole world's health, and that is the least the Philippines and its coconut oil industry can do.

Thankfully corn, soy and canola are very expensive to be use in restaurant.

But at home when i was still in college we did use canola for a year because my relatives at america advice us to use canola because its "healthy" But i always felt bad after eating. I figured it out months after that its the oil im frying that was causing the tired feeling. And i dont know about ray peat back then. The trend before is all about whey protein because of the gym boom.

I think most restaurant here in the philippine uses imported palm oil because its cheap.

hanyaw20liter.jpg

Last edited:

EIRE24

oh there are plenty of milk and OJ and fresh fruits everywhere. Most of the milk brands in the supermarket have no added stuff, just pure milk, even the low-fat milk. I eat quite a lot of seafood here; I enjoy their traditional seafood soup in a big bowl filled with salt, hot spicy taste, and cooked vegetables and noodles. I eat also bulgogi, barbacue style beef with white rice. I don't shy away from starch like so many members here.

Basically anything that tastes good without PUFA, I eat. I have no time to think about food so much because I am very busy at work.
Would you say your diet is low fat?

I'm going to be going to Bangkok and Myanmar and Cambodia soon. I'm not expecting this to be very easy food wise. I also don't really like new foods very much anymore, as they seem to cause me problems. Anyway I'll report back.

Last edited:

yerrag

almost daily
Saturated fat tastes sooo good. The fat lamb tastes way better than the slim goat. Just can't imagine all the fat flavors gone with meat devoid of fat.

yerrag

Thankfully corn, soy and canola are very expensive to be use in restaurant.

But at home when i was still in college we did use canola for a year because my relatives at america advice us to use canola because its "healthy" But i always felt bad after eating. I figured it out months after that its the oil im frying that was causing the tired feeling. And i dont know about ray peat back then. The trend before is all about whey protein because of the gym boom.

I think most restaurant here in the philippine uses imported palm oil because its cheap.

hanyaw20liter.jpg

I'm not so sure that canola, soya, and corn oil are expensive. The three are mostly sold as "vegetable oil." The vegetable oil you buy can be either one of these oils, or a blend of these, depending on which of these oils happen to cost less on the world market price.

I'm not so sure that canola, soya, and corn oil are expensive. The three are mostly sold as "vegetable oil." The vegetable oil you buy can be either one of these oils, or a blend of these, depending on which of these oils happen to cost less on the world market price.

If you go to chinese restaurant (not the high-end ones) you will see refined vegetable cooking oils piling up and its made from indonesia (palm).

Yes even the premium brand marca leon labels vegetable oil but at the back its indicated that its 100% pure expeller pressed coconut oil.

But majority of restaurant, carinderia (backyard eatery) uses imported palm oil or worst reuse cooking oil bought from wet markets. (this is bad)

If you are starting a food business, expect cooking oil agents and offer you imported cheap palm oil.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals