AIP Or Ray Peat For Hashimoto's

Ganne

I have been following the AIP diet and have greatly reduced my Thyroid antibodies but I still have severe low blood sugar and cannot follow the low carb version of the diet. I get so wiped out after any exercise or stresses. I just started NP thyroid and it helps a bit but was wondering if anyone has successfully treated their Hashimoto's with the Ray Peat style of eating.

I’m interested too. Been following a mostly Peat diet but still having some problems with fatigue and 3am awakenings which I think is related to blood sugar/glycogen storage issues. Eating low carb and being calorie deficient for one year put me in a bad place with my Hashimoto’s. I still struggle even with increasing my carbs; I have a feeling recovery will take some patience.

OP
G

Ganne

Thanks, Lisalou. I'll give those a watch.
Albina, my inflammation reduced greatly on the AIP diet but eating low carb keeps me nervous and sleepless. When I cheat on the diet and eat more carbs I am much more relaxed. I am hoping that following the Peat program will help me.

Lisalou

You are welcome Ganne.
Biochemistry is key, going low carb spins every other system out of balance.

ivy

Expect some trial and error, but a mixture of the two is likely to be a good option. Avoiding allergens and starch (even cruciferous vegetables) I find very beneficial in terms of digestion. Moodwise, carbs are a must though. I personally need carbs in the morning, usually in the form of dark chocolate covered rice cakes. Later in the day, it's easy for me to go for a portion of protein (egg, beef, cod or mackerel) with boiled baby spinach or raw carrot. Coffee and citrus fruits are a great combo. My objections to Peat are milk and gellatin; one or both of them set off my psoriasis when I reintroduced them. As for PUFA, I've lowered my intake, but I still eat nuts once or twice a week. I eat mostly very low fat because I don't digest cooked fats easily. I however feel that extra virgin olive oil is good against constipation, which you should expect when eating little fiber.

Gelatin and milk have given me problems with my skin and IBS. I keep portions low but inevitably I have to cut both out. Several times I’ve reintroduced them in small quantities but I just feel better with just occasional cheese. I have also noticed I do better with sugary foods like ice cream. My stress level and insomnia improve but my weight increases unfortunately. Have gained 5 lbs eating Peaty. The fruits just don’t seem to give me the same positive effect as ice cream or rice pudding. But...I am seeing some improvements in my Hashi’s.

OP
G

Ganne

Is it possible to do the Peat diet without dairy? Dairy is such a big no no on AIP. I am going to Europe next month and I know I could eat the Peat way. I think I may have a very hard time finding Almonf flour, cassava flour etc. I threw caution to the wind and started my day with fresh organic orange juice, milk with honey and a bowl of cottage cheese. Not brave enough to try the coffee as I am too anxious all the time.

Also, I want to take my temperature though out the day. What is the best thermometer for this purpose? I cannot find the old fashioned kind that goes under the arm.

Last edited:
Is it possible to do the Peat diet without dairy? Dairy is such a big no no on AIP. I am going to Europe next month and I know I could eat the Peat way. I think I may have a very hard time finding Almonf flour, cassava flour etc.
Yes it is but you need a source(s) of calcium. There are many threads on Peating without dairy. Just do a search. I tried eggshell calcium as recommended by many but I don’t like having to make it. There are sources where you can buy. I just started using Now calcium carbonate powder. There is also the fluid from cooked leafy greens.

OP
G

Ganne

OK I watched the videos that Lisalou recommended. I am not sure I understand what the doc is trying to say. I actually went to the library and checked one of her books and they seem to promote low carb, no salt, no coffee, no sugar. It looks to very similar to Paleo did I miss something?

Pompadour

AIP diet doesn't have to be low carb.

For example Sarah Ballantyne, Ph.D. (a.k.a. The Paleo Mom) has hashimoto's and her version of AIP is well balanced i think. She talks that some traditional societies eat up to 50% of carbs in their diet. She says: "Eating about a third of our diet as carbohydrates (about a third as protein and about a third as fat) fits in nicely with the patterns we’ve observed among healthy hunter-gatherers, and seems to be the sweet spot for optimizing vitamin, mineral, phytonutrient, fiber, essential amino acid, and essential fatty acid intake!" Also she says that the range 100-300 g of carbs is normal. Actually Sarah Ballantyne doesn't like low carb - she tried keto once and thinks that it made her insulinresistant.

Someone mentioned, that Ray Peat had also said, that to have 30% of every macronutrient can be optimal.

The strict low carb and keto diet is in the version of AIP of Terry Wahls - but this author treats mutliple scleroses ... maybe keto- version of diet can be more important in this case.

Last edited:

Lisalou

OK I watched the videos that Lisalou recommended. I am not sure I understand what the doc is trying to say. I actually went to the library and checked one of her books and they seem to promote low carb, no salt, no coffee, no sugar. It looks to very similar to Paleo did I miss something?
Hi Ganne...Sorry I should have explained more..The principle is the biochemistry of it all..not the diet she re comends..Jeanne and Josh Rubin from Eastwest healing have the diet down packed, .It is based on the principles of Ray Peat, Broda Barnes etc.

Travis

If it seems to 'restrictive,' I do think that most legume proteins are broken-down near completely. Rice also appears hypoimmunogenic, with the worst one by far being wheat. It certainly does appear as though most autoantibodies are formed just to that one food alone.

But of course, any seed-storage protein having a high proline content will resist digestion and thus could potentially induce autoantibodes. So then I suppose the only way to be 100% certain would be to avoid seeds altogether.

It has been shown that proteolytic enzymes such as bromelain can help to hydrolyze proteins down into smaller, nonimmunogenic fragments.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals