Chinese Diet And Metabolism

OP
G

Gone Peating

When you kill off all the creative, spontaneous, anti-authoritarian people in your society, this is what you get.

Yes thanks to Mao any creative types who aren't submissive to whoever carries the biggest threat of physically harming them either moved to Taiwan or were murdered.

If you ever come to China you will see what I am talking about as soon as you land. It is a dystopia

Hugh Johnson

Chinese and Indian medicine practitioners have noted that westerners have very "cold" stomaches. Has to do with refrigerated food. I can't tell you if TMC is particularly effective, but I'd try it sooner than western medicine.

Peater Piper

I can tell you that from my time in Shanghai, they are a pretty unhealthy looking lot. Skinnyfat bodies, poor skin quality, and always walking around hacking up phlegm and coughing
The latter is probably due to air pollution. I made some Chinese friends while learning Mandarin, and everyone who lived in a major city had lung issues.

JustAGuy

Same in Taiwan where I am currently. Everything is pufa fried food. Even canola oil soaked noodles or rice everywhere. The pace is super slow here, people walk at like a 50% speed pace compared to the west and everyone sleeps everywhere (in class, in the metro).

Also about 50% of the population seems to have some sort of skin problem, it really shocked me. I hear nearly daily from people how good my skin is here (even from complete strangers like a grandma in the street). I have always has a smooth skin but in here the contrast is massive compared to the population.

Fractality

Chinese and Indian medicine practitioners have noted that westerners have very "cold" stomaches. Has to do with refrigerated food. I can't tell you if TMC is particularly effective, but I'd try it sooner than western medicine.

And what do they tout as the implications of having a "cold stomach?"

Vesi

I have tried this recently (drinking hot vs cold beverages), and i have to say, that i feel a lot better with drinking 3-4 cups of something hot every day, compared to drinking only 1-2 cups. Lately it has been black tea or chamomile tea, sometimes coffee or green tea. I wonder what is the energetic or practical cost of drinking cold drinks, or eating cold food, compared to getting them hot.

DMF

So I live in China, but I am a white guy from the US

Once a week I visit a place called Dr. Stretch, a Japanese place that is wayyy better than any massage parlor/physical therapy place I've ever been to. They stretch you out like you wouldn't believe

Anyway, after my session the girl that stretches me out gives me a cup of warm water and makes a joke that it is "boiling", Chinese people only drink warm water they are TERRIFIED of drinking cold water, I am not exaggerating or joking they will not drink cold drinks just ask anyone who's spent any time in China

So I asked her why should people drink hot water, especially after a workout

She says "It will speed up metabolism and prevent you from getting a cold"

It's hilarious bc I started Peating about 6 months ago when I arrived in China, and as I read all of Ray Peat's articles and all of the helpful material on here I realized that the Chinese display an incredible amount of signs pointing to low metabolism: very tired almost lifeless look on their face, very slow to react to things (very obvious if you drive here), very low levels of emotion, unenergetic/unenthusiastic, skinny fat bodies, among other things

Their diet is the anti-Peat diet, they pretty much eat PUFA soaked noodles and low quality pork/chicken at almost every meal

Has anyone spent an extended period of time in China before?
You're describing a people that exhibit signs that come from living where the state comes first, and the individual last, like, in the former Soviet Union. "Lifeless look on their face" "Very slow to react...."
I knew someone decades ago who came over from the Soviet Union in the 70's and he'd joke " you know what we Russians say about ourselves - our soul dies before we do"

Wen

Many of the things suggested as being due to low metabolism are actually due to other issues. In fact I’m not sure they do have slow metabolisms since they eat so many carbs and seem to be hot to the touch, not to mention mostly thin. Although as people mentioned they may simply appear thin since it seems so many, especially women are skinny fat, but that could just be due to the fact Asians have very little muscle anyway.

Regarding the Chinese diet, people haven’t mentioned the good so I’ll go into that:

The Good:

1. As mentioned above - Carbs. They eat phenomenal amounts of carbs which should drive a fast metabolism and would need a fast metabolism to deal with.

2. They eat all the parts of an animal. Gelatine seems to be a huge thing on this forum so I’d imagine this would be viewed favourably. They eat pigs feet, pigs tail, pigs ears, chicken feet, duck feet and neck, chicken heads etc etc

The bad:

1. As mentioned above - PUFAs. They basically drink oil on a daily basis and I’m really not exaggerating. It even seems worse in recent years, you get noodles or stir fried vegetables literally FLOATING in oil…? Not everything is that extreme but it ranges from a fair amount of oil to so much it seems like you’re just gonna have to drink oil as you eat.

2. Processed foods. They have fish balls, meat balls and the most processed sausages you could ever imagine. The sausages literally don’t even look like they’re meat at all. These kinds of processed meat seem to be all over the place.

As for the issues they suffer, what’s been said about skin problems is 100% true, it’s so common whilst in the west skin problems seem to be way, way less than they were 10-20 years back. Asians are more prone to skin scarring anyway so it’s particularly noticeable when they have or have had acne. It's also true people are often asleep during the day, in school or in workplaces. Also the men do hack up phlegm all the time and whilst they are mostly all smokers, I don’t think that accounts for this problem 100%. Regarding the lifeless look and lack of enthusiasm for anything surely that's only with the younger generation and thus more to do with their spoiled upbringing? Particularly noticeable in those born in the 90s or 00s.

koky

as most places people in the rural areas are healthier than in cities