Filtered Vs Un-filtered Coffee And Cholesterol

BingDing

RP has said that large amounts of Vit A and T3 are needed to convert cholesterol to pregnenelone. That's my cholesterol control strategy. I haven't had any lab work recently, though, so no idea if it's working.

I bought a Breville espresso maker a few years ago, you couldn't pay me to drink drip or perc coffee again.

This whole thread seems like just another fad, as stupid as the fad that came before it. It's Groupthink, which is always stupid and often insane. Keep T3 in the high normal range and T4 in the middle normal range; supplement if necessary. Use coconut oil daily, it's not just healthy it's therapeutic; the SFAs gradually replace the inflammatory PUFAs and you get healthier over the course of time.

My $.02.

japanesedude

I've recently bought Frenchpress and experiencing reduced gut irritation from drinking coffee.
I think paperfilter was bad quality and has been giving me gut irritation.

K

Kayaker

Most of the cafestol is in the spent grounds. I don't know if it's possible to use milk in a Frenchpress machine.

I had diarrhea from drinking a large amount of instant, so I tried it through a paper filter in lukewarm milk. No diarrhea from large amounts. Gut irritation may or may not be present. It's hard for me to tell.

My teeth were very sensitive after I drank it during meals because I used large amounts of instant and the milk would turn very acidic. I wonder what amount of coffee would be needed to bind iron from meat effectively. Another solution is to add baking soda if it's too acidic to sip slowly. Doing this in the past with instant gave it a nutty flavor.

Vileplume

Kawheol and Cafestol (the compounds filtered out by filters) -- Not such bad guys?

The original study that @nicolabeacon posted does show that people drinking unfiltered coffee had an increase in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol compared to filtered, but from RP's Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health. article, it sounds like the size of LDL particles matters more than the number, with larger size preferable. Plus, as RP has mentioned, raising cholesterol can actually be protective, if its not raised by blockage of its conversion.

The study shows that unfiltered coffee drinkers actually had lowered HDL compared to filtered coffee drinkers, which according to Peat is a good thing. The compounds eliminated in filtration, namely kahweol and cafestol, have been shown to have some anti-oxidant properties.

We have found that KW at 10 μM suppressed the loss of mitochondrial membrane potential (MMP) and the bioenergetics decline (including decreased activity of the mitochondrial complexes I and V and reduced production of adenosine triphosphate, ATP) in the MG-treated SH-SY5Y cells. KW also prevented the MG-elicited generation of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species (ROS and RNS, respectively) in the SH-SY5Y cells. In this regard, KW exerted an antioxidant effect on the membranes of mitochondria obtained from the MG-treated cells.

Finally, we report that the neuroprotective effects of decaffeinated coffee and nicotine-free tobacco require the cytoprotective transcription factor Nrf2 and that a known Nrf2 activator in coffee, cafestol, is also able to confer neuroprotection in our fly models of PD.

When the cells were treated with kahweol or cafestol, cytotoxicity, lipid peroxidation, and reactive oxygen species production induced by H(2)O(2) were markedly reduced in a dose-dependent manner.

However, I think it's possible that the sediment in coffee could have other harms:
1)The PUFA content in the oils, like people have mentioned in this thread.
2) Stomach irritation? I imagine ingesting the bean directly can't be good for the tum tum.

Has anybody noticed a benefit using one method of coffee consumption over another?

Apple

I usually make coffee in a moka pot.
When I stop drinking coffee for a month, my total cholesterol drops from 200 to 180.

Waynish

You know how you can taste which oranges are bad? Well I think a lot of coffee is that way. I don't have the terminology to describe it exactly - and I don't think they've classified the compounds and accurately detect them / track them. But you know it when you taste it. Hard to find really healthy feeling coffee these days - but then again I'm already so energetic drinking coffee just seems insane.

Vileplume

I've always made coffee in a french press, until yesterday when this thread informed me that coffee beans have PUFA, and a paper filter filters out a lot of these PUFA-rich oils. I noticed that with my french press, my mug always had a muddy layer of sediment on the bottom. The french pressed coffee was thick, opaque and muddy with sediment, and it usually tasted bitter too.

After reading this thread yesterday, I went to Cost Plus World Market™️ and bought a Chemex, which allows paper-filtered coffee (which I rinse, thanks to this post from @Amazoniac) without any plastic.

The coffee tastes so much better from a Chemex. It's not as acidic-tasting, the texture is clean and clear, and there's not sediment on the bottom of my cup.

P

Peatness

I can't say if drinking coffee made in a french press for years contributed to my elevated cholesterol. I too switched to filtering the coffee through a paper filter after reading this thread. I am amazed at how much gets filtered out with the paper. My cholestrol has started going down. I can't say if its because of thyroid or filtering. The paper filtered coffee is also easier on the gut.

JamesGatz

I can't stand using filters to make my own coffee - everytime I do it the coffee tastes like trees/wood - it feels like I'm drinking the bark of a tree tastes horrendous - what I've been doing is just buying a cup of iced coffee from Dunklin donuts then transferring it to a glass jar and taking it home to sip on throughout the day - Dunkin donuts coffee is pretty good I'm not sure what they do to it but it tastes good and the water they use seems to be clean I don't feel the fluroide - Mcdona;d's coffee is the best but everytime I drink sometimes I get that taste of fluroide I feel like their water is generally dirtier I'm not sure

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals