Filtered Vs Un-filtered Coffee And Cholesterol

OP
nikolabeacon

nikolabeacon

@nikolabeacon thank you for your work on this. Made the switch to paper filter this morning and the coffee is so much smoother, not nearly as bitter.

:hattip

I thought it was interesting information. Yeah its telling .. difference in taste is very noticeable esspecially with high quality fine paper filter.

Excellent explanation, thank you.

Another question: is instant coffee free of these thyroid-altering compounds (the fats, not caffeine), as filtered coffee is??

It seems that in preparation of instant coffee they use similar fast method with pressurized hot water like in espresso. Fast preparation is I think preventing too much diterpenes ending up in coffee brew.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Cafestol_and_Kahweol_in_Various_Coffee_Brews

https://www.researchgate.net/public...beverages_as_influenced_by_brewing_procedures

"Diterpenes in instant, drip filtered, and percolated brews were negligible." ". Boiled coffee had the highest diterpene esters content, while filtered and instant brews showed the lowest concentrations"

"High chronic intake of French press coffee or Turkish/Greek coffee could increase serum cholesterol "

You have this papers that actually confirms my explanation and quotes from that previos article that diterpenes and sterols are responsible for this.

AJCN | Mobile

Consumption of French-press coffee raises cholesteryl ester transfer protein activity levels before LDL cholesterol in normolipidaemic subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

JLR : Journal of Lipid Research

Interesting that W.F. Koch also was writing that terpenes and sulphides in coffee, some plants and some fruits and fruit skins are harmfull and poisons . He mentioned that They aslo can be removed with oxidation with Chlorophyll and produce "tasteless" cofffee while keeping its stimulating effect from caffeine.

@nikolabeacon
Are you saying that when using a paper filter drip method, less than .2% of total fat from the ground coffee ends up in the drinkable portion?
So if my coffee is ~15% fat, and I use 100 grams of ground coffee per day then I would get < .03 grams ( or 30 milligrams ) of total fat in my coffee?
Yeah . With fine quality paper filter you remove almost 100% of all oils. There is around 5-6 grams of pufa per 100 grams of ground coffee. And extracted part in French press or turkish coffee is around 15-20% ..around 1 g pufa per 100g. But I think maybe even if u use metal laser cut reusable filter lot of pufa will stay in the coffee grounds not in coffee brew. This is more about thyroid altering diterpenes and sterols that only Paper filter absorbs almost 100% and even espresso is pretty free of them because of fast preparation method.

Last edited:
OP
nikolabeacon

nikolabeacon

@nikolabeacon Thank you for the info and response!
Although first time i read that coffee oils are toxins in Koch's work....I Actually got the Idea for this thread from this information here from another Peat "follower" ... Vitamin C Therapy

But his assumption that increase in cholesterol from coffee oils is good.. is not correct . I drink very little coffee and I found it interesting mostly because of that effect since fructose also does that but in a "different" way as I tried to interpret on previous page though I do not know at what extent it is good even from fructoss if you do not have very good levels of TH or supplement with thyroid. As Koch also explained Terpenes and Sulphides along with acroleins in coffee are carcinogens and poisons whose consumption should be very limited.

Wagner83

[QUOTE="nikolabeacon, post: 249630, member: 2809"I drink very little coffee and I found it interesting mostly because of that effect since fructose also does that but in a "different" way as I tried to interpret on previous page though I do not know at what extent it is good even from fructoss if you do not have very good levels of TH or supplement with thyroid[/QUOTE]

Curious, what does your diet look like now in terms of macros and foods? How much fructose and how do you feel overall?

Xisca

His?
But his assumption that increase in cholesterol from coffee oils is good.. is not correct .
Whose assumption is it?
I boil coffee and then filter it, but with a cotton reusable filter.
Does it filter a well as paper?
It goes through quite quick....

GeoX

Since oil floats, how about tip the :emoji_coffee: cup to get rid of the top 1/8 inch? It should work to remove most of the oils. What do you think?

Last edited:
D

danishispsychic

I was a french presser for the past couple years and coffee was just not agreeing with me. I got the Moccamaster from Technivorm and I use their filters also and it is WAY easier on my system. It is a rockstar of a coffee brewer but it does have plastic parts still.... With drip filtered coffee , it feels like I can drink it all day and I don't have that weird full feeling.

GeoX

So, do you think pouring off the top 1/8 inch or so of a cup of unfiltered turkish coffee would eliminate the bad oils, since oil floats?

GeoX

Read this study on Cafestol and cholesterol. Percolators are safe
Click Here (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)

Apollo, thank you for this interesting article. It appears that "the bed of coarsely ground coffee seems to function as a filter cake, retaining the diterpenes from the brew" of percolated coffee. Unfortunately, percolated coffee is not as popular today.

The diterpenes - cafestol and kahweol - are naturally present in the oil contained in coffee. No mention or suggestion in the article that pouring off the top oily portion of a cup of Greek/Turkish coffee would reduce diterpenes or cholesterol-raising factor.

Apple

I use regular moka pot with extra paperfilter between midsections. it makes awesome brew clear from any residues or fats

Last edited:

GeoX

I use regular moka pot with paperfilter between midsections. it makes awesome brew clear from any residues or fats
Apollo, that's a great idea.

I'm used to drinking Greek coffee so a quick tip of the cup before the first sip, would be so easy to reduce the diterpene-containing oils (that I believe, float). Hopefully a study will pop up or someone can suggest...

Jon

Thyroid Hormone Regulation of Metabolism

You might find some explanation here. In part V. CHOLESTEROL AND TRIGLYCERIDE METABOLISM

"TH regulates cholesterol synthesis through multiple mechanisms. A major pathway is TH stimulation of transcription of the LDL-R gene resulting in increased uptake of cholesterol and enhanced cholesterol synthesis (162). This has been a major pathway of T4-mediated cholesterol lowering after T4 treatment of patients with hypothyroidism (139). Another regulator of the LDL-R gene is the sterol response element binding protein (SREBP)-2 (97). "

"TH also reduces cholesterol through non-LDL receptor-mediated pathways. Mice with hypercholesterolemia due to LDL-receptor gene knockouts were treated with high dose T3 or 3,5-diiodo-l-thyronine (T2) (95). Under these conditions, the reduction in LDL-cholesterol was linked to reductions in apolipoprotein (apo) B48 and apoB11. Hepatic triglyceride production was increased. "

"Reverse cholesterol transport is a complex process that results in transfer of cholesterol to the liver for elimination as bile acids or neutral steroids."

"The conversion of cholesterol to bile acids is required to maintain cholesterol homeostasis. This cholesterol clearance pathway is regulated by a number of nuclear receptors that control the expression of cholesterol 7-hydroxylase (CYP7a1), the rate-limiting step in bile acid synthesis (41). "

"however, T3 treatment reduces CYP7A1 mRNA and cholic and chenodecoycholic acid synthesis in human hepatocytes (69)"

"A recent clinical study in both healthy and cirrhotic subjects revealed that bile acid synthesis correlated positively with energy expenditure, and postprandially, serum TSH decreased in both groups (188), suggesting that the bile acid serum level influences the thyroid pituitary axis set point."

"Bile acids, like thyroid hormone, impact the metabolism of lipids and glucose and are linked by activation of D2 in specific tissues."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that caffeine effect to compensate for lack of active thyroid hormone iis in fact increased conversion from T4 to T3 which stimulates production of new T 4 similar like glucose does.

But fructose part in itself can actually act directly like T3(which can be usefull in times of huge stress) without increased conversion and negating the need for extra T3 and it is also decreasing T4 production because of that and it thus increase cholesterol as a consequence. Whether it is good or not long therm without thyroid supplementation to clear that up i don't know. Glucose part in sucrose is to some extent balancing that and in comparation like caffeine use up T4 and stimulates new production since it activates conversion from T4 to T3. So glucose is actually a sugar that really activates thyroid and keeps cholesterol from accumulation and do not have so strong potential to overburden the liver as easy as fructose because of that.?

While sterols and diterpenes (like goitrogens in vegetables and green teas) in coffee it seem are, as a type of excitation(or a poison ), supressing production of TH( T4) and body as a defense mechanism is inducing fast conversion of remaining T4 to T3. And that(supressed production of T4) keeps cholesterol elevated as stated in the first quote about T4 I posted from this article. Althought caffeine part in coffe is greatly negating this negatives but clearly not enough to clear up all LDL of course unless you filter coffe with paper filer.

I really hate supplementing, but I've been thinking perhaps taurine would be a good addition to coffee. What do you think of that? I'm thinking It may actually synergize with coffee for a healthier steroidogenesis?

Bart1

Interested in the coffee reducing T3 claim in this thread. Could it be caused by higher conversion of liver so more actually ends up in the cells vs floating in the blood?

rei

There is absolutely difference in the fatty acid profile. I got sucked into the stainless steel filter for brewing craze, and it took me many months before realizing that i get much more drastic stress reaction after stopping filtering out the oils.

Bart1

There is absolutely difference in the fatty acid profile. I got sucked into the stainless steel filter for brewing craze, and it took me many months before realizing that i get much more drastic stress reaction after stopping filtering out the oils.
So you say one should not filter coffee?

rei

Why would i say that? I tried to say and to my eye wrote the opposite!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals