The Effects Of Caffeine On Lipid And Mineral Content In The Serum Of Rats

S.Seneff

This study was conducted to investigate the effects of caffeine on lipid and mineral content in the serum of rats given a caffeine free diet(FC), a low caffeine diet(LC), a medium caffeine diet(MC), a high caffeine diet(HC) or a super-high caffeine diet(SHC) for 5 weeks. Thirty male Sprague-Dawley rats(body weight, 110±0.3" role="presentation" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: inline-block; line-height: 0; text-align: left; font-size: 16.66px; letter-spacing: normal; overflow-wrap: normal; word-spacing: normal; white-space: nowrap; float: none; direction: ltr; max-width: none; max-height: none; min-width: 0px; min-height: 0px; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 1px 0px; position: relative; border-radius: 0px !important;">110±0.3110±0.3 g) were blocked into 5 groups and fed diets with or without pure caffeine. Caffeine intake models showed a lower mean-weight gain, food intake and food efficiency in the high caffeine diet groups(MC, HC and SHC groups) than the groups receiving a caffeine free or low caffeine diet(FC and LC groups). Serum total lipid, total cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol levels decreased, but the serum HDL-cholesterol level increased according to the increase in caffeine intake. Serum total lipid, HDL-cholesterol and serum triglyceride were significantly lower in the HC and SHC groups than the FC group. All of the serum minerals decreased as caffeine intake increased. Serum iron, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus significantly decreased in the HC and SHC groups compared to the FC group. Caffeine intake was associated with less weight gain and reduced serum total cholesterol, triglyceride and total lipid. The results suggest that rats fed high amounts of caffeine may be susceptible to osteoporosis due to their low levels of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.

http://society.kisti.re.kr/sv/SV_svpsbs03V.do?method=download&cn1=JAKO200835054219354

Gone Peating

Do they give human equivalent doses?

This could explain why Peat is so obsessed with eating super mineral dense foods like milk, the man drinks a lot of coffee

Peater Piper

Food intake decline in all groups, especially the high and super high caffeine groups. I don't think appropriate caffeine intake should curb appetite, which I view as a stress response.

redsun

Food intake decline in all groups, especially the high and super high caffeine groups. I don't think appropriate caffeine intake should curb appetite, which I view as a stress response.

If one needed to lose weight or had trouble maintaining ideal weight its hard to say that is bad. Caffeine increases the excitatory neurotransmitters glutamate, dopamine, histamine, noradrenaline/adrenaline. Each of these in their own ways and in synergy help put a lid on food intake.

Caffeine is a CNS stimulant and as such works similar to amphetamines, though no where near as strong and consequently amphetamines will have a much stronger appetite reducing effect. Not inheritantly a stress response, its just a consequence of having higher CNS stimulation.

meatbag

If one needed to lose weight or had trouble maintaining ideal weight its hard to say that is bad. Caffeine increases the excitatory neurotransmitters glutamate, dopamine, histamine, noradrenaline/adrenaline. Each of these in their own ways and in synergy help put a lid on food intake.

Caffeine is a CNS stimulant and as such works similar to amphetamines, though no where near as strong and consequently amphetamines will have a much stronger appetite reducing effect. Not inheritantly a stress response, its just a consequence of having higher CNS stimulation.
I think this is hard to say. I recall Peat saying that before he took thyroid he ate like twice-to-three times as many calories or something

The synergistic action of caffeine or adenosine on glucose stimulation of liver glycogen synthase phosphatase activity
Author links open overlay panelDaniel P.GilboeF.Q.Nuttall
https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(84)81345-9Get rights and content
Under an Elsevier user license
open archive

Abstract
Recent studies indicate that glucose directly stimulates synthase phosphatase activity in vitro but only at high, non-physiological concentrations. Present results demonstrate that at a physiological concentration glucose can be stimulatory, provided that an appropriate second effector is present. Caffeine and adenosine are examples of such effectors which act synergistically with glucose to enhance synthase phosphatase activity. Caffeine but not adenosine enhances glucose stimulation of phosphorylase phosphatase activity. In the absence of glucose, caffeine but not adenosine stimulates both synthase and phosphorylase phosphatase reactions. Thus, glucose regulation of glycogen synthase activation in vivo could require a second effector. Neither the identity nor source of such an effector is known. The putative regulator could be a mediator for a hormone such as insulin. The present work suggests that the chemical nature of the effector might be that of a derivatized purine of which nucleosides are an example.

redsun

I think this is hard to say. I recall Peat saying that before he took thyroid he ate like twice-to-three times as many calories or something

I am not sure what you mean? Are you disagreeing that caffeine reduces appetite via affecting neurotransmitters? Or you are agreeing caffeine helps appetite control/weight control which is not inheritantly bad?

Peater Piper

Personally, I only experienced appetite suppression from caffeine when I was trying to adapt to it. It took me at least a month before I could drink a cup of coffee without feeling a bit stressed, and stress always kills my appetite. It was many months before I could have three cups a day, which is what I've been drinking for the past few years. No appetite suppression anymore, no racing heart, no raised blood pressure. I assumed the raised adrenaline was due to insufficient liver storage of glucose due to NAFLD, but even a healthy liver loaded with glucose will have limits to how much caffeine it can process.