Filtered Vs Un-filtered Coffee And Cholesterol

nikolabeacon

Full text--. https://www.google.rs/url?sa=t&sour...ghOMAw&usg=AFQjCNHylS7H_aMlv32dLaKzekz9AnDKiQ

The mechanism by which
boiled coffee affects cholesterol metabolism is unclear.
Ground
coffee evidently does not need to be actively boiled in
water to produce a hypercholesterolemic brew.
We10
recently isolated a lipid-rich fraction from
boiled coffee that markedly raised cholesterol levels in
volunteers, and we suggested that filtered coffee does
not raise serum cholesterol levels because it has a low
lipid content. We now present a direct test of this
hypothesis.

the
group drinking boiled coffee, the serum total choles- terol concentration rose, on average, by 0.42 mmol/1
(16 mg/dl; 95% confidence interval [CI] for differ- ence with the boiled and filtered-coffee group, 0.14- 0.71,^=0.005) and LDL cholesterol by 0.41 mmol/1
(16 mg/dl; 95% CI, 0.16-0.66, p=0.002) in compar- ison with the group drinking boiled and filtered coffee.
HDL cholesterol fell slightly by 0.05
mmol/1 (2 mg/dl) in the boiled-coffee group relative
to the boiled and filtered-coffee group, and it in-
creased by 0.05 mmol/1 (2 mg/dl) in the group in
which all coffee was eliminated

Likewise, adjustment for changes in
body weight and for changes in the reported intake of
saturated and polyunsaturated fat and dietary cho- lesterol had very little influence on the result.

Our findings show that the paper filter plays a
crucial role in eliminating the hypercholesterolemic
factor from coffee.
The cholesterol-elevating effect of
boiled-type coffee disappeared when the liquid was
poured through a paper filter before consumption.

Recently, we10 showed that
the lipid-rich supernatant of boiled coffee obtained
after centrifugation raised serum cholesterol levels
by 23%, and we suggested that the cholesterol-
elevating factor is contained in the lipid. The present
study now shows that boiled-type coffee loses both its
lipids and its cholesterol-raising properties after fil-
tration through a paper filter and that the lipid is
retained in the paper filter.

. The increase of 11% in serum latho- sterol in the group drinking boiled coffee was paral- leled by a 9% increase in serum cholesterol level. This might suggest that increased synthesis of choles- terol does not play a major role in the elevation of
serum cholesterol levels.

decreased clearance
of VLDL with an increased conversion to LDL or a
decreased clearance of LDL cholesterol could pro-
vide alternative explanations for the cholesterol-
raising effect of boiled coffee. However, our findings
do not exclude effects of boiled coffee on lipoprotein
synthesis and turnover.

This study shows now that even filtered coffee have that effect of raising total cholesterol and LDL but still not pronounced as much as un-filtered. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition - Filtered coffee raises serum cholesterol: results from a controlled study

Will this improve steroidogenesis and since coffee already have that effect of improving progesterone this means only that those effect are more potent without using paper filter?

.Turkish(or bosnian coffee(-see on wiki)) un-filtered coffee. In all Balkan countries unfiltered coffee is still widely used.

French press also and espresso should have those effects compared to paper filter.

I also noticed that unfiltered(bosnian,turkish) or (french press ) coffee is much more stimulating and great for the bowels and bowel movements. Maybe from fine coffee solids that are able to pass in those preparation methods?

They act like cascara or maybe more correctly like activated charcoal since it is roasted ?

Wagner83

Someone on an other thread reported coffee beans have a lot of PUFAs, maybe if the fat is kept and not filtered thyroid function is reduced which leads to an increase in cholesterol ?
An other member @Pointless posted a study showing french press and Turkish coffee increased bile flow/production (more cafestol?), bile is partly made out of cholesterol.

OP
nikolabeacon

nikolabeacon

That is possible. :D

This is most complete article about coffee beans lipid composition...
You have all the tables

https://www.google.rs/url?sa=t&sour...gg0MAk&usg=AFQjCNE9UYgPD_zK7JpJlEMAHcyd5g1C6Q

, Coffea Arabica
and Coffea canephora var. Robusta, contain between 7 and
17 % fat. The lipid content of green Arabica coffee beans
averages some 15 %, whilst Robusta coffees contain much
less, namely around 10 %. Most of the lipids, the coffee oil,
are located in the endosperm of green coffee beans

Coffee oil is composed mainly of triacylglycerols (75%) with
fatty acids in proportions similar to those found in common
edible vegetable oils. The relatively large unsaponifiable
fraction is rich in diterpenes of the kaurane family, mainly
cafestol, kahweol and 16-O-methylcafestol, which have
been receiving more and more attention in recent years due
to their different physiological effects.

OP
nikolabeacon

nikolabeacon

2. Fatty acids in triacylglycerols of green coffee
beans (%).

Folstar (1975) , Speer(1993) Speer (1993)
Robusta (n=9) Arabica (n= 4)

C14:0 0.2 traces traces
C15:0 traces traces
C16:0 33.3 27.2-32.1 26.6-27.8
C16:1 traces traces
Cl7:0 traces traces
C18:0 7.3 5.8-7.2 5.6-6.3
C18:1 6.6 9.7-14.2 6.7-8.2
C18:2 47.7 43.9-49.3 52.2-54.3
C18:3 1.7 0.9-1.4 2.2-2.6
C19:0 traces traces
C20:0 2.5 2.7-4.3 2.6-2.8
C20:1 0.2-0.3 traces- 0.3
C21:0 traces traces
C22:0 0.5 0.3-0.8 0.5-0.6
C23:0 traces traces
C24:0 traces 0.3-0.4 0.2-0.4

Those that are most abundant are C16:p palmitic acid 25-30% and C18:2 pufa 40-50 %

Which means of that 75% of all 15% average total fat ...half is pufa which means 4-6%(per 100g) of pufa?

Or my calculation is wrong?

Last edited:
OP
nikolabeacon

nikolabeacon

So if I drink 25 g of coffee in the form of turkish or french press coffee i will get around 1 g of PUFA.

So for people that are really concerned or drink a lot more coffee paper filter is best option.

:microscope:HhhI had no idea coffee raised cholesterol, I never really checked mainstream info
Because as usual conflicting evidence i.e Coffee bad one month ,coffee good next
Month. I obviously should have paid more attention especially because of my
Heart problems

I am awaiting genetic testing results because of my hypercholesterolemia due
End of July.
I drink instant coffee 4-6 cups a day, total cholesterol 6.3 high LDL not sure
Of actual number.These results were given in an early morning call from lipid clinic
In a very scaremongering fashion and an accusation of not taking my statins,which I
Denied ( that was a lie) .

The reason I was not too rattled is cholesterol 6.3 is an improvement

Long story short

Last year I was carer to my now departed husband, which as you can imagine
Was all consuming,exhausting,hopeless,helpless ,relentless, also joyful,
Loving,aspirational,funny,courageous, and the best thing I ever did
For both of us.
Sorry I'm very emotional.

My point is at that time my cholesterol was
10.1 I was obviously drinking more coffee as I was awake more at night
But not sure ,I sleep very little anyway.

My cholesterol lowest was. 5.0 and that was on statins about 31/2 years ago
I'm drinking coffee all my adult life just regular instant

One last thing one of the studies I was reading
Linked high homestiene / coffee as well ,I have elevated
Homeistein ( sorry brain fog don't think I spelled the H word correct))

Could anyone find out for me please thank you

Sorry forgot to ask ,should I pour my instant coffee through paper filter,
Not so much worried about total cholesterol,but my LDL is always high.
Will this make it safer or should I give it up:eek::confused:

Waynish

I'm surprised there hasn't been more coffee science on this board... I'm going with espresso for now (brewed by a barista on top end equipment and fresh beans of course).

chrismeyers

I prefer Madras filter coffee. The best. And you need a proper stainless steel filter/ base.

OP
nikolabeacon

nikolabeacon

@Elderflower j58 This was just for the informational purposes. I do not think I can answer that question with certainty. This is just my speculation.
I think your high cholesterol levels might be an indication of poor liver function, stress(and hypothyroidism). Caffeine and coffee can replace your thyroid to some extent and probably can increse cholesterol similar like fructose does. Now i think this increase in cholesterol from coffee is not from PUFA. If you want to reduce this effect filtering will eliminate it effectively as the study concluded 100%.

But as I said maybe coffee is compensating for your impaired liver and thyroid function. And protects you from stress.

OP
nikolabeacon

nikolabeacon

@Wagner83 ...I was thinking about this and there might be another possible explanation..

You know that Peat recommends sugar for its fructose content to increase cholesterol before supplementing thyroid. How fructose increases Cholesterol ? Increased tryglicerides can increase it in the people with sluggish livers but i do not think that is complete explanation.

May be that explanation for this is similar to that of sugar because fructose acts like T3 and at some extent negates the need for thyroid hormone and thats why it increases cholesterol and thyroid hormone and vit A are used for turning cholesterol into pregnenolone and other steroids. It is why Peat says that elevated cholesterol is a sign of " Hypothyroidism." So at the end yes it is decreased thyroid but I am not sure that 0.5 g(see below) or less of pufa spread through the day are the cause of it considering a fact that he recommends fructose for increasing cholesterol.

Caffeine(as stated by Peat) and diterpenes in coffee it seem are acting in a similar manner like fructose.

Whether its is good or not I do not know. I still think about that mechanism of fructose increasing cholesterol and decreasing the need for the active T3 to some extent.

Although Pufa content is significant i would say that it is still very small amounts(unles you use more than a 20 g coffee in a day without filter) since people in the study consumed max 15-25g of coffee spread through out the day.

20 % of total oil content are diterpenes ( cafestol, kahweol, and 16-OMC ) incorporated in tryaciglycelors, ...sterols and wax.

"..Diterpenes in coffee beverages and health aspects:
Several studies have reported that through the drinking of specially prepared coffee the serum cholesterol level might increase.
It was shown that this effect is caused by the lipids present in the coffee brew, which, although poorly soluble in water, could be incorporated in the brew depending on the method of infusion. Initially, triglycerides were said to be responsible for this effect but in more recent years, it has been established that it is the diterpenes, especially cafestol and kahweol, both in free form and as palmitate esters which influence the serum cholesterol level (Bak and Grobbee, 1989; Weusten-Van der Wouw et al., 1994; Mensink et al., 1995; De Roos and Katan, 1999; Terpstra et al., 2000; Boekschoten et al., 2005). Other diterpenes have not been tested yet.

Furthermore, a substantial number of scientific publications exist where the positive effects of diterpenes were reported. It was shown that cafestol stimulates the glutathion-S-transferase activity, through which the decomposition of xenobiotica is accelerated (Lam et al., 1982). Other authors reported that cafestol and kahweol protect against B1-induced genotoxicity (Miller et al., 1993; Cavin et al., 1998).

The amount in the drink is strongly dependent on the method of preparation and is directly related to the amount of total lipids in the brew. With filtered coffee prepared in a common household coffeemaker, the amount of lipids was less than 0.2 %. In contrast, when preparing an espresso, between 1-2 % of the lipids and thereby diterpenes as well, flow from the finely ground espresso coffee into the beverage.

In espresso prepared from Arabica coffee, a total amount of 1.3 mg cafestol fatty acid esters and 0.5 mg kahweol esters per 50 ml cup were determined by Kurzrock (1998), corresponding to approximately 1.5 % of cafestol esters and approximately 1.0 % of kahweol esters in the roasted ground coffee. These results confirm the findings for the 16-O-methylcafestol esters.

When coffee was prepared Scandinavian style, it contained even up to 22 % of the coffee fat. The proportional distribution of diterpenes in the coffee beverage was nearly identical to the distribution in the roasted coffee powder."

So you see even with the "worst" preparation method it extracted only 1/5 (20%)of total fat content of coffee. It means subjects ingested less than 0.3(4) g of pufa with those amounts. So chances that pufas are causing this are very small in My opinion. Caffeine and diterpenes are very potent even at small doses in mg's. Not just pufa.

Last edited:

Wagner83

That makes sense if there are indeed so little PUFAs, I admit I did not check. Coffee does reduce T3 levels , it could be that it acts like thyroid hormone itself so as you said less is produced, but if as a result cholesterol rises then that sucks:
Study Confirms: Excessive Green Tea Consumption (1-2L) May Reduce Your Thyroid Function (T3, T4) by Almost 50% - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone
Green Tea, Fluoride Reduce Thyroid Function By As Much As 50%

Here is an other explanation:
Coffee Consumption and Serum Lipids: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Clinical Trials | American Journal of Epidemiology | Oxford Academic
The lipid-raising effects of coffee drinking have been reported to be primarily due to coffee oils, such as cafestol and kahweol (12, 13), that increase the synthesis of cholesterol by decreasing excretion of bile acids and neutral sterols (48).

TeslaFan

I stopped drinking French press because of this. Now I do drip/filter.

I did a blood test several years ago and noticed my cholesterol significantly increased over the previous test. The only thing I could remember doing differently was introducing French press that my then girlfriend brought. Could be a coincidence, but I decided to go back to filter, after some reading.

OP
nikolabeacon

nikolabeacon

That makes sense if there are indeed so little PUFAs,
Pufa content is "significant" considering the fact that we are limiting pufa in whole diet to a couple of grams. But extracted part is about 20-30 % even in the turkish and scandinavian type coffee. So it seems that diterpenes and sterols in coffee, which are also eliminated by filtration, are responsible for this. Still interesting to think about caffeine reducing T3 and mechanism by which fructose acts like T 3 and increases cholesterol.

grenade

That makes sense if there are indeed so little PUFAs, I admit I did not check. Coffee does reduce T3 levels , it could be that it acts like thyroid hormone itself so as you said less is produced, but if as a result cholesterol rises then that sucks:
Study Confirms: Excessive Green Tea Consumption (1-2L) May Reduce Your Thyroid Function (T3, T4) by Almost 50% - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone
Green Tea, Fluoride Reduce Thyroid Function By As Much As 50%

Here is an other explanation:
Coffee Consumption and Serum Lipids: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Clinical Trials | American Journal of Epidemiology | Oxford Academic

Now, through what mechanism does it reduce bile acid excretion? Through pure suppression, or by somehow reducing the need for bile acid? If it's the latter, then the increase in cholesterol would be positive, no?

OP
nikolabeacon

nikolabeacon

Now, through what mechanism does it reduce bile acid excretion? Through pure suppression, or by somehow reducing the need for bile acid? If it's the latter, then the increase in cholesterol would be positive, no?
Thyroid Hormone Regulation of Metabolism

You might find some explanation here. In part V. CHOLESTEROL AND TRIGLYCERIDE METABOLISM

"TH regulates cholesterol synthesis through multiple mechanisms. A major pathway is TH stimulation of transcription of the LDL-R gene resulting in increased uptake of cholesterol and enhanced cholesterol synthesis (162). This has been a major pathway of T4-mediated cholesterol lowering after T4 treatment of patients with hypothyroidism (139). Another regulator of the LDL-R gene is the sterol response element binding protein (SREBP)-2 (97). "

"TH also reduces cholesterol through non-LDL receptor-mediated pathways. Mice with hypercholesterolemia due to LDL-receptor gene knockouts were treated with high dose T3 or 3,5-diiodo-l-thyronine (T2) (95). Under these conditions, the reduction in LDL-cholesterol was linked to reductions in apolipoprotein (apo) B48 and apoB11. Hepatic triglyceride production was increased. "

"Reverse cholesterol transport is a complex process that results in transfer of cholesterol to the liver for elimination as bile acids or neutral steroids."

"The conversion of cholesterol to bile acids is required to maintain cholesterol homeostasis. This cholesterol clearance pathway is regulated by a number of nuclear receptors that control the expression of cholesterol 7-hydroxylase (CYP7a1), the rate-limiting step in bile acid synthesis (41). "

"however, T3 treatment reduces CYP7A1 mRNA and cholic and chenodecoycholic acid synthesis in human hepatocytes (69)"

"A recent clinical study in both healthy and cirrhotic subjects revealed that bile acid synthesis correlated positively with energy expenditure, and postprandially, serum TSH decreased in both groups (188), suggesting that the bile acid serum level influences the thyroid pituitary axis set point."

"Bile acids, like thyroid hormone, impact the metabolism of lipids and glucose and are linked by activation of D2 in specific tissues."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that caffeine effect to compensate for lack of active thyroid hormone iis in fact increased conversion from T4 to T3 which stimulates production of new T 4 similar like glucose does.

But fructose part in itself can actually act directly like T3(which can be usefull in times of huge stress) without increased conversion and negating the need for extra T3 and it is also decreasing T4 production because of that and it thus increase cholesterol as a consequence. Whether it is good or not long therm without thyroid supplementation to clear that up i don't know. Glucose part in sucrose is to some extent balancing that and in comparation like caffeine use up T4 and stimulates new production since it activates conversion from T4 to T3. So glucose is actually a sugar that really activates thyroid and keeps cholesterol from accumulation and do not have so strong potential to overburden the liver as easy as fructose because of that.?

While sterols and diterpenes (like goitrogens in vegetables and green teas) in coffee it seem are, as a type of excitation(or a poison ), supressing production of TH( T4) and body as a defense mechanism is inducing fast conversion of remaining T4 to T3. And that(supressed production of T4) keeps cholesterol elevated as stated in the first quote about T4 I posted from this article. Althought caffeine part in coffe is greatly negating this negatives but clearly not enough to clear up all LDL of course unless you filter coffe with paper filer.

Last edited:

grenade

Thyroid Hormone Regulation of Metabolism

You might find some explanation here. In part V. CHOLESTEROL AND TRIGLYCERIDE METABOLISM

"TH regulates cholesterol synthesis through multiple mechanisms. A major pathway is TH stimulation of transcription of the LDL-R gene resulting in increased uptake of cholesterol and enhanced cholesterol synthesis (162). This has been a major pathway of T4-mediated cholesterol lowering after T4 treatment of patients with hypothyroidism (139). Another regulator of the LDL-R gene is the sterol response element binding protein (SREBP)-2 (97). "

"TH also reduces cholesterol through non-LDL receptor-mediated pathways. Mice with hypercholesterolemia due to LDL-receptor gene knockouts were treated with high dose T3 or 3,5-diiodo-l-thyronine (T2) (95). Under these conditions, the reduction in LDL-cholesterol was linked to reductions in apolipoprotein (apo) B48 and apoB11. Hepatic triglyceride production was increased. "

"Reverse cholesterol transport is a complex process that results in transfer of cholesterol to the liver for elimination as bile acids or neutral steroids."

"The conversion of cholesterol to bile acids is required to maintain cholesterol homeostasis. This cholesterol clearance pathway is regulated by a number of nuclear receptors that control the expression of cholesterol 7-hydroxylase (CYP7a1), the rate-limiting step in bile acid synthesis (41). "

"however, T3 treatment reduces CYP7A1 mRNA and cholic and chenodecoycholic acid synthesis in human hepatocytes (69)"

"A recent clinical study in both healthy and cirrhotic subjects revealed that bile acid synthesis correlated positively with energy expenditure, and postprandially, serum TSH decreased in both groups (188), suggesting that the bile acid serum level influences the thyroid pituitary axis set point."

"Bile acids, like thyroid hormone, impact the metabolism of lipids and glucose and are linked by activation of D2 in specific tissues."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that caffeine effect to compensate for lack of active thyroid hormone iis in fact increased conversion from T4 to T3 which stimulates production of new T 4 similar like glucose does.

But fructose part in itself can actually act directly like T3(which can be usefull in times of huge stress) without increased conversion and negating the need for extra T3 and it is also decreasing T4 production because of that and it thus increase cholesterol as a consequence. Whether it is good or not long therm without thyroid supplementation to clear that up i don't know. Glucose part in sucrose is to some extent balancing that and in comparation like caffeine use up T4 and stimulates new production since it activates conversion from T4 to T3. So glucose is actually a sugar that really activates thyroid and keeps cholesterol from accumulation and do not have so strong potential to overburden the liver as easy as fructose because of that.?

While sterols and diterpenes (like goitrogens in vegetables and green teas) in coffee it seem are, as a type of excitation(or a poison ), supressing production of TH( T4) and body as a defense mechanism is inducing fast conversion of remaining T4 to T3. And that(supressed production of T4) keeps cholesterol elevated as stated in the first quote about T4 I posted from this article. Althought caffeine part in coffe is greatly negating this negatives but clearly not enough to clear up all LDL of course unless you filter coffe with paper filer.

Excellent explanation, thank you.

Another question: is instant coffee free of these thyroid-altering compounds (the fats, not caffeine), as filtered coffee is??

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@nikolabeacon thank you for your work on this. Made the switch to paper filter this morning and the coffee is so much smoother, not nearly as bitter.

:hattip

I stopped drinking French press because of this. Now I do drip/filter.
Dropping my french press and ordering up a Chemex coffee maker soon as I can.

Last edited:
T

tca300

@nikolabeacon
Are you saying that when using a paper filter drip method, less than .2% of total fat from the ground coffee ends up in the drinkable portion?
So if my coffee is ~15% fat, and I use 100 grams of ground coffee per day then I would get < .03 grams ( or 30 milligrams ) of total fat in my coffee?

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals