Aspirin Better Than Statins For Cholesterol And Triglycerides

haidut

Forum Supporter
The good news for aspirin keep piling up. This study showed that a relatively low dose of aspirin reduced cholesterol and triglycerides better than a statin drug (simvastatin, Zocor), and also unlike the statin aspirin also increased HDL. The study focuses on a special aspirin preparation called AEE but they also included a group treated with plain aspirin. Notably, the dose of the "preferred" drug AEE was two times higher than the dose of plain aspirin needed to achieve the lipid lowering effect. One more reason to leave aspirin alone and take the plain version without any modifications.
Human equivalent dose was 2.85mg/kg, so a single grain of aspirin for 5 weeks should be able to achieve the same results.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4546030/

"...Compared with the model group, the results showed that AEE at 54 mg/kg dosage could significantly decrease the hyperlipidemia indexes including triglyceride (TG), low density lipoprotein (LDL) and total cholesterol (TCH) (p < 0.01), increase high density lipoprotein (HDL) (p < 0.05) for five weeks drug administration. Meanwhile, simvastatin had same effect on hyperlipidemia indexes such as TG, LDL, TC, but no significant increase in HDL."

"...Figure 2 showed the different effects of drugs on blood lipid levels. When compared with ASA and eugenol group, there was no significant difference between AEE and other groups, except the HDL index in AEE high dose group (Fig. 2). However, when compared with integration group, there was significant difference of LDL value in AEE high dose group (p < 0.05) and HDL value in AEE medium dose group (p < 0.05)."

dao123

The good news for aspirin keep piling up. This study showed that a relatively low dose of aspirin reduced cholesterol and triglycerides better than a statin drug (simvastatin, Zocor), and also unlike the statin aspirin also increased HDL. The study focuses on a special aspirin preparation called AEE but they also included a group treated with plain aspirin. Notably, the dose of the "preferred" drug AEE was two times higher than the dose of plain aspirin needed to achieve the lipid lowering effect. One more reason to leave aspirin alone and take the plain version without any modifications.
Human equivalent dose was 2.85mg/kg, so a single grain of aspirin for 5 weeks should be able to achieve the same results.

Regulation effect of Aspirin Eugenol Ester on blood lipids in Wistar rats with hyperlipidemia

"...Compared with the model group, the results showed that AEE at 54 mg/kg dosage could significantly decrease the hyperlipidemia indexes including triglyceride (TG), low density lipoprotein (LDL) eand total cholesterol (TCH) (p < 0.01), increase high density lipoprotein (HDL) (p < 0.05) for five weeks drug administration. Meanwhile, simvastatin had same effect on hyperlipidemia indexes such as TG, LDL, TC, but no significant increase in HDL."

"...Figure 2 showed the different effects of drugs on blood lipid levels. When compared with ASA and eugenol group, there was no significant difference between AEE and other groups, except the HDL index in AEE high dose group (Fig. 2). However, when compared with integration group, there was significant difference of LDL value in AEE high dose group (p < 0.05) and HDL value in AEE medium dose group (p < 0.05)."

Hey Haidut, I've been taking any where from 650 -1300 mg of asprin a day. I have also been taking energin and estroban for the last month along with some extra vitamin k and e. I was taking started taking the high doses of apirin to alleviate anxiety and because I was worried about heart problems. However I fear I may have made things worse. I got my cholesterol tested last week and it is was very high - 268.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hey Haidut, I've been taking any where from 650 -1300 mg of asprin a day. I have also been taking energin and estroban for the last month along with some extra vitamin k and e. I was taking started taking the high doses of apirin to alleviate anxiety and because I was worried about heart problems. However I fear I may have made things worse. I got my cholesterol tested last week and it is was very high - 268.

I doubt that aspirin raised cholesterol. If that is your main worry something like taurine or pregnenolone should be able to lower it pretty quickly. But the high values suggest hypothyroidism, so I would try to work on that too. Also, it takes a good 6-8 weeks for aspirin to lower cholesterol, so if you took it for much less than that I would give it some time before testing again.

dao123

I doubt that aspirin raised cholesterol. If that is your main worry something like taurine or pregnenolone should be able to lower it pretty quickly. But the high values suggest hypothyroidism, so I would try to work on that too. Also, it takes a good 6-8 weeks for aspirin to lower cholesterol, so if you took it for much less than that I would give it some time before testing again.
How much Aspirin daily would you use to lower cholesterol.
Also, while I have you here, could you please tell me how to direct adress my hypothyroidism. I have PTSD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, I work, go to school, and help take care of my family and just don't have the time to devote to learning from the ground up. I sam sure I am hypothyroid. I have all the symptoms. I just don't know where to start.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
How much Aspirin daily would you use to lower cholesterol.
Also, while I have you here, could you please tell me how to direct adress my hypothyroidism. I have PTSD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, I work, go to school, and help take care of my family and just don't have the time to devote to learning from the ground up. I sam sure I am hypothyroid. I have all the symptoms. I just don't know where to start.

Did you see the original post? There is a human equivalent dose there.
I am sorry, but "how to fix my hypothyroidism" is not something I can answer in single post. There are lot of sections and threads that you can read here. I suggest you start with the "Diet" section on the forum. Also, there are a few primers people have put together. I think forum member @charlie can point you in the right direction. There is quite a bit to read but I think the goal is to have you understand what these things intend to accomplish and why instead of blindly relying on somebody's advice. That's what doctors are for.

dao123

@haidut I read you mention in discussion of estrogen and aspirin that 100 mg was found to be effective then larger doses would perhaps be more effective. Would you say the same thing about aspirin in lowering cholesterol. Could one say take say a gram to a gram and half while takingestroban and vitk2?

DaveFoster

@dao123

How to treat hypothyroidism utilizing Peat's method:

- Decrease intestinal inflammation through use of antibiotics, carrot salad, charcoal (probiotics if IBS still persists, but this is controversial)
- Limit PUFA intake to under 4 grams
- Supplement Vitamin E to oppose tissue PUFA's
- Supplement thyroid in a ratio of 4:1 to 2:1 T4 to T3 depending on symptoms; increase 1/4 grain of NDT every 2 weeks. [Get TSH under 0.4]
- Clean out liver with K2, caffeine, and pregnenolone
- Optimize dopamine by doing fun things and reducing environmental stress as much as possible (do what you love, live with purpose); consider anti-serotonin drugs like cyprohepdatine (ritanserin if you can tolerate it); consider dopaminergic drugs such as bromocriptine or lisuride (the former comes with risks of cardiac fibrosis)
- Eat plenty of carbohydrate (fruit and fruit juice)
- Eat 100-150 g protein per day from milk, meat w/ gelatin, non-fatty fish, etc.
- Add 2-6 TBSP coconut oil per day as primary fat source and for MCT's and ketones
- Eat according to appetite, and eat as much as you'd like; supplement oysters and liver
- 1 standard drink per week limit (ideally not beer or wine, but hard liquor)
- Glycine, taurine, and lysine amino acids if tolerated

I'm sick, so don't take my advice, but this is a general template for this forum.

Something helpful is to utilize stimulants like chocolate and nicotine. I'm still experimenting with this, but it's promising.

The main thing: Avoid allergens, avoid PUFA, and eat plenty of calories from nutritious sources (white sugar as a therapeutic aid). The gut is the most important thing, as it affects the liver, and the liver controls estrogen detoxification, which influences metabolism. Impaired liver function lowers the metabolic rate and leads to increased inflammation, cortisol concentrations, and higher free-fatty acids. Free-fatty acids lead to metabolic damage. Estrogen and cortisol may be called the "death hormones" by Dr. Peat.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I read you mention in discussion of estrogen and aspirin that 100 mg was found to be effective then larger doses would perhaps be more effective. Would you say the same thing about aspirin in lowering cholesterol. Could one say take say a gram to a gram and half while takingestroban and vitk2?

Ray has said that up to 1g of aspirin would be OK long term if taken with vitamin K. So, if you make sure you get at least 3mg vitaminK you should be OK. This is found in 2 doses of EstroBan.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

MJ Henning

Could you elaborate on this? I am new to Peat and I am trying to understand what levels of cholesterol are okay and why.

tara

Ahanu

HDL is only bad if it is caused by endotoxin or other toxins like radiation or alcohol. The HDL itself is good, its elevation is what could be a biomarker of bad things going on.
So, Haidut, what would you say, which cholesterol scores reflect good health? There are different opinions, even at this forum.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So, Haidut, what would you say, which cholesterol scores reflect good health? There are different opinions, even at this forum.

Cholesterol on its own is not very descriptive unless it is very high (above 280-300) when it is pretty good indication of hypothyroidism. For instance, if you eat a lot of cholesterol rich food and a lot of sugar but your metabolism is good then your cholesterol maybe very high but steroid synthesis would also be high and your T, DHT, pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA, etc would also be high and thus overall health would be good. I think total cholesterol above 200 but below 250, combined with androgens, progesterone, pregnenolone and DHEA close to the high end of normal range would be good inidcation. HDL should probably be measured along with things like TNFa and Nf-kB, as endotoxin elevates them. So, if these inflammatory mediators are high and HDL is below 40 then it is not a good sign - i.e. the body cannot detox what is burdening it. Ideally you would want both HDL and the inflammatory mediators to be on the low side.

Ahanu

Cholesterol on its own is not very descriptive unless it is very high (above 280-300) when it is pretty good indication of hypothyroidism. For instance, if you eat a lot of cholesterol rich food and a lot of sugar but your metabolism is good then your cholesterol maybe very high but steroid synthesis would also be high and your T, DHT, pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA, etc would also be high and thus overall health would be good. I think total cholesterol above 200 but below 250, combined with androgens, progesterone, pregnenolone and DHEA close to the high end of normal range would be good inidcation. HDL should probably be measured along with things like TNFa and Nf-kB, as endotoxin elevates them. So, if these inflammatory mediators are high and HDL is below 40 then it is not a good sign - i.e. the body cannot detox what is burdening it. Ideally you would want both HDL and the inflammatory mediators to be on the low side.
Ok, thank you Haidut !

kyle

@haidut

AEE's effect as a statin may not be as noteworthy as its broader potential. The idea behind mixing aspirin with eugenol is probably because eugenol has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-analgesic effects and many other interesting effects.

There's a dozen or so aspirin eugenol ester studies with seemingly positive outcomes on pubmed and googling turned up this -

Synthesis of aspirin eugenol ester and its biological activity

The results showed that toxicity of AEE was significantly reduced, about 50 and 3.7 times lower than aspirin and eugenol, respectively. Its strength of anti-inflammation, analgesia, and antipyresis was similar as aspirin and eugenol, but the effects lasted longer.

How they came to the conclusion that it's so much safer, I can't say or access the study.

Peat said garlic oil is anti-bacterial but also toxic to everything it's in contact with. I think he'd say the same about concentrated eugenol which is toxic. As for the usage of any pure herbal oil internally for say, killing gut bacteria or parasites - my impression is it's not worth it or at least not to be done without some caution and there seems to be be safer alternatives.

But eugenol is also said to be anti-estrogenic and it's numbing quality reminded me of lidocaine when I (maybe unwisely) put clove oil (which is 85% eugenol) undiluted on a toothache a few times. At any rate, I didn't have any negative reactions, I think its toxicity is overstated or dose dependent. I'd still hesitate to take it internally or using too much of it topically.

It also has a very long history in dentistry and used to make zinc-eugenol for temporary fillings while exerting anti-bacterial effects. Another curious effect is it's touted for smoking cessation, dabbing it on the tongue or smelling it.

Maybe AEE is a good substance. I would be very curious what potential it could have on endotoxin, estrogen and serotonin, if it is indeed safe.

Another interesting study where eugenol is considered for treating IBS and compared to ondansetron, which if IIRC, Peat spoke favorably of as a treatment for alcoholism. The authors appear to be Indian where cloves have a long history in medicine.

Protective effect of eugenol against restraint stress-induced gastrointestinal dysfunction: Potential use in irritable bowel syndrome. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals