Fiber Intolerance

Ewelina

I would just drop dates altogether. Sounds like you react to them as badly as I do. They're sexy on paper. High in nutrients (magnesium etc), dry, high in sugar, portable, calorie dense..... Just perfect. But without doubt, the worst food out of everything for my body to tolerate. Along with bananas, give me the most profound dip in mood, and puts my gut into turmoil.

The only fibres I seem to tolerate well are carrot and bamboo shoot. Which I will now not be deviating from.

With another fibrous food, I am currently at the point of giving up mushroom now. It definitely gives me a bad stomach/gut ache (and I've tested all parameters I can possible think of.. Cooking times, trying every type of mushroom, eating organic, eaten with low/higher amounts of fat, trying different food combinations, etc). A real shame. Gonna miss mushrooms/cheese (that was becoming a real favourite, but the physical effects hours later aren't fun).

A simple diet of animal products + sugar may be your safest option.

Even after 2.5 years of PUFA restriction, I'm still in the same boat as you (my gut gives me hell with fruits, starches, etc). But like many here, on the rare occasions I eat a slice of simple white bread = effortless digestion. I would agree it's definitely the fibre. A happy gut, for me, does make a big difference to a number of things (mood, energy, libido, etc).

Do you do dairy everyday? I've often thought it might be the dairy that is making many here so intolerant to things. Pretty sure my gut was way stronger than this, pre-Dairy (which I have done everyday for the last 2.5 years). Maybe a sensitive gut is a sign of health. It's hard to go dairy free though, when you have such low faith in starches and fruits (I've completely lost confidence in them).

Can't eat mushrooms aither. They cause awful bloating. Can't imagine how they could be antiseptic or anti-endotoxin.

EIRE24

I truly believe it's reverseable! My acne also got much worse when I started binging on fruit. I couldn't figure it out. Now my skin is fine, only some minor issues. Digestion is also improving, so not everything is lost! It just takes time and effort to figure everything out but it's possible. So take heart!

I'm sorry, I do agree it can be fixed but to the degree where I tolerate everything like I used to? I'm not sure? I had no problem with any foods whatsoever before. Now, my diet is so refined I'm not even sure what the culprit is. You don't eat any starch, am I right? I 100% cannot do this

Ewelina

I used to have very good digestion as well. I could eat anything without bloating or constipation/diarrhoea (no that it was always doing me any good). I even didn't know that there could be so many digestive problems. But to be fair, I was never a big fan of fruit. In my case the worst offenders are fruits and coconut products. Most likely too much fiber. However, histamine is problematic as well. So old meat and fermented dairy is a no no for me.

At the moment I'm experimenting with glutinous rice. It's been just a couple of weeks, so too soon to be sure, but I think it's easier on the gut that the starchy variety. Tyw wrote about it so I decided to try.

I know it's awful to be in this situation, and I sometimes get really angry about the whole thing, but there is no other option just to plough through.

Last edited:

James_001

I take almost all of haidut's supplements, along with plenty of aspirin, A from liver, D, E, and K, so I'm not sure if its problems with glucose metabolism. I'll ask to get my liver checked if its fatty.

I haven't tried either lettuce of psyillium, but famotidine (Pepcid), takes away the GERD and chest pain. Zofran (ondanesetron) takes away the nausea and makes me feel fine, so it's definitely something with serotonin release in the gut (SIBO probably is correct.)

I'll also add that I get that I get lower abdominal grumbling and flatulence in addition to the previous symptoms.

I would drop all supps right away and see if that makes a difference. DMSO is toxic, despite what hadiut says.

Trix

I have also suffered from these issues and when I started taking Allithiamine, a lot of my symptoms were lowered significantly. I have read on Thiamine since early Jan and have found out that thiamine is needed in a lot of processes in the body. I just read this from a gastric bypass study [small intestinal bacterial overgrowth results from altered gut ecology and induces thiamine deficiency]. I know we haven't had gastric bypass surgery, but we have altered our diet and many things deplete thiamine too. I also thought I had SIBO. Today I put in the search field on PubMed, Thiamine deficiency Glucose Metabolism and there are 218 studies. Home - PubMed - NCBI
Are you guys taking B6 (P5P), as this vitamin is important also?
Inositol, there are many kinds that help with food intolerance. I think it helps with acne too. DAO enzymes might be low if eating histamine foods without enough DAO on hand in the body, would cause more NO to be made and the body has to mitigate that too.

mt_dreams

I only eat carrots when I can get my hands on organic white or yellow varieties. When I don't have access to them I usually eat a cup or two of organic applesauce. I don't eat everything organic, but these 2 are among the worst offenders of fruit & product with regards to pesticides. I have noticed some bloating with carrots, but not with applesauce.

tara

Looking back at your symptoms there could be some correlation to your date consumption. Sounds like you are eating them quite excessively as the bulk of your calories. Dates are high in serotonin ( could cause mood swings and anxiety - I actually have noticed that after eating bananas my mood deteriorates around 30 mins after. Its odd but rather amusing. Could be a similar thing here).
I briefly tried eating lots of dates a while ago. Didn't work for me. Now I only keep them around as portable emergency fuel for occasional consumption, not as a staple. Eating a few a few 2-3 times a weeks seems OK for me. Eating 100g or more every day seemed to make me feel bad.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Thank you guys for all your responses. I dropped the dates, and the fiber irritation is gone. I'm struggling to get enough calories, dropped the aspirin, and I'm taking famotidine for a potential stomach ulcer.

@icecreamlover

I think you're right; I have elevated monocytes. Lysine helps the situation.

At this point, I'm waking up with genuine fear; I've never felt paralyzed while in bed before. My primary care doctor says it's all in my head. My hair's falling out like crazy, and I have nausea, anxiety, no appetite, lower abdominal gurgling, and random burping throughout the day; stools are becoming loose as well.

Can anyone help? I have an appointment with a naturopath, but that's in two weeks. Are there any remedies to this I could try? Activated charcoal? Herbal antibiotics?

Koveras

I wonder how often aspirin is a causative factor in food-related gut irritation here, especially over a long time frame.

Regardless of the presence or absence of gut damage, Chris Masterjohn posted some evidence about COX being necessary for developing tolerance to foods.

YuraCZ

Thank you guys for all your responses. I dropped the dates, and the fiber irritation is gone. I'm struggling to get enough calories, dropped the aspirin, and I'm taking famotidine for a potential stomach ulcer.

@icecreamlover

At this point, I'm waking up with genuine fear; I've never felt paralyzed while in bed before. My primary care doctor says it's all in my head. My hair's falling out like crazy, and I have nausea, anxiety, no appetite, lower abdominal gurgling, and random burping throughout the day; stools are becoming loose as well.

Can anyone help? I have an appointment with a naturopath, but that's in two weeks. Are there any remedies to this I could try? Activated charcoal? Herbal antibiotics?
Stop all supplements. Forget about "Peat ideal foods" or "Peating" or whatever. Eliminate ALL problematic foods like gluten, casein, lactose, huge amounts of fructose. Also reduse all foods high in FODMAP and start eating only easy to digest non problematic foods like white rice, potatoes, corn/rice pasta, beef, chicken/turkey breasts, eggs, coconut oil, ghee.. No worries if you have this vitamin or that mineral.. Just make sure that you have enough calories, some protein and most importantly that digestion is ok..

Pointless

@icecreamlover

When's the last time you got a colonoscopy? It sounds like you might have inflammatory bowel disease. That's what I have, and Cyproheptadine works great for me. Or maybe just IBS, but Cyproheptadine would still be a good bet. Have you used it before?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Stop all supplements. Forget about "Peat ideal foods" or "Peating" or whatever. Eliminate ALL problematic foods like gluten, casein, lactose, huge amounts of fructose. Also reduse all foods high in FODMAP and start eating only easy to digest non problematic foods like white rice, potatoes, corn/rice pasta, beef, chicken/turkey breasts, eggs, coconut oil, ghee.. No worries if you have this vitamin or that mineral.. Just make sure that you have enough calories, some protein and most importantly that digestion is ok..
I'll try implementing your suggestions. For me, milk and carrots do not pose a problem; just fruit, vegetables, and starch. Any fiber.

When's the last time you got a colonoscopy? It sounds like you might have inflammatory bowel disease. That's what I have, and Cyproheptadine works great for me. Or maybe just IBS, but Cyproheptadine would still be a good bet. Have you used it before?
I am in the process of scheduling one as a type this. I also am going to see a naturopath about SIBO, and potentially use activated charcoal.

I recommend you use activated charcoal/antibiotics in conjunction with eating small amounts of lettuce, or other fiber. Make a salad with oil and vinegar, then dose the antiseptics maybe 2 hours later or something. I think lettuce supports relatively harmless lactic acid bacteria, and that is likely what is missing in your gut, as some other invasive type has obviously taken over and is causing harm. Unless you intend to completely sterilize your intestins, you should fight off the bad guys AND feed the good guys.
FYI i've heard concerning statistics associating colonic diseases with colonoscopy, I don't think it will help SIBO at all anyway.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I recommend you use activated charcoal/antibiotics in conjunction with eating small amounts of lettuce, or other fiber. Make a salad with oil and vinegar, then dose the antiseptics maybe 2 hours later or something. I think lettuce supports relatively harmless lactic acid bacteria, and that is likely what is missing in your gut, as some other invasive type has obviously taken over and is causing harm. Unless you intend to completely sterilize your intestins, you should fight off the bad guys AND feed the good guys.
FYI i've heard concerning statistics associating colonic diseases with colonoscopy, I don't think it will help SIBO at all anyway.
Thanks for the advice, Rob. I've been consuming the daily carrot salad for a while, and it helps. I'll be adding in charcoal next; eventually I might reach a large enough dose to sterilize the colon (50 grams should do the trick weekly or bi-weekly). I don't know how I'll react at first, though.

For the colonoscopy, I think it's merited in this case, as I've always had gut problems, and I have no idea what's wrong, so it's a beneficial trade-off in my case. I could have a tumor by now for all I know.

tara

vegetables, and starch
Vegetable broth OK?
Which starchy foods have you tried? Well-boiled mashed potatoes possibly with butter?
Well-boiled jasmine rice? Water from boiling white rice?
I'm wondering if your appetite is suffering because you are restricting carbs to high fructose sources (for understandable reasons), and your system doesn't currently want more fructose?

Jayfish

Carrot salad made my endotoxin much worse, as did potatoes and coconut products. Despite what some claim to be non problematic foods, for others they cause hell.

Btw, bread saved me, literally when I was having endotoxin induced panic attacks, bread, sugar and salt was all I could eat to calm it down. Now I eat a big amount of quality wheat and rye products as my only fiber, it's been wonderful and adds exactly what I need to turn meat, dairy and sugar into meals. It also supplies manganese, selenium and other b vits that I was missing from an all animal product and sugar/juice diet.

EIRE24

Carrot salad made my endotoxin much worse, as did potatoes and coconut products. Despite what some claim to be non problematic foods, for others they cause hell.

Btw, bread saved me, literally when I was having endotoxin induced panic attacks, bread, sugar and salt was all I could eat to calm it down. Now I eat a big amount of quality wheat and rye products as my only fiber, it's been wonderful and adds exactly what I need to turn meat, dairy and sugar into meals. It also supplies manganese, selenium and other b vits that I was missing from an all animal product and sugar/juice diet.

I think this highlights how people shouldn't just jump straight into a peat reccomended diet. Obviously peat would not reccomend wheat and rye but it works wonderfully for this person. Anything that you feel works well but does not fall under the "peat reccomendations" should be continued in my opinion

Ukall

Anything that you feel works well
Well that's kinda vague. For some people, having 2 packs of cigarettes, they feel great and appear to not have problems. In fact, there might not be apparent problems, but that doesn't mean it cant hurt you.
Even though, I kinda agree with you.
But are you saying, for instance (in Peat's world), if I feel well consuming PUFA, should I continue?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals