Feel extremely agitated, anxious, uneasy after drinking milk...

CiggyTardust

I've been trying to incorporate milk into my diet and I've been having some difficulty. Cheese doesn't bother me. I have tried raw whole milk, pastured and pasteurized whole milk, pastured 2% and all present similar symptoms:

- Within a few minutes of drinking the milk, I feel pressure in my sinuses/behind the eyes
- The cranial pressure is followed by a feeling of nervous agitation throughout my body... this is pretty uncomfortable, feels like my nervous system is stressing out big time
- Slight anxiety while the feeling of uneasiness persists
- Slight brain fog/cloudiness in thinking
- Bloating in my lower abdomen

These symptoms last for maybe an hour or two before I feel normal again. Some brands of milk seem to be worse than others but they all do this to a certain degree. If I drink a glass of milk before bed, my sleep that night is absolutely terrible. Yogurt can give me a bit of brain fog as well.

Any ideas on how to overcome this? I eat plenty of protein and need a way to get my calcium intake up. I've had my share of digestive issues over the years but they have improved for the most part. Few things affect me quite like this. I know it's probably a sensitivity but I'd really like to figure out how to overcome it if possible.

Charger

Getting enough salt? The more milk/juice you have in your diet can make this tricky from I've learned. Not only due to higher liquid, but also due to higher potassium throwing electrolytes out of balance.

K

Kaur Singh

have you tried titrating it like you would with a new supplement/thyroid supp?

start at a ridiculous low amount, and increase real slow

OP
CiggyTardust

CiggyTardust

have you tried titrating it like you would with a new supplement/thyroid supp?

start at a ridiculous low amount, and increase real slow
I haven't but I suspect this may be the way to go, allowing my body to start producing lactase again. I'll give it a shot.

Birdie

I haven't but I suspect this may be the way to go, allowing my body to start producing lactase again. I'll give it a shot.
Yes, this method is exactly what Ray Peat recommends for people in your situation. I'd start with a tablespoon for 10 days, then double that. I wonder though what type you should try...

Sphagnum

I would suggest trying 100% A2 milk.

Based on your symptoms as well as what you have tried, I would suspect it’s a reaction to the A1 beta casein found in most milk. Raw milk contains lactase enzymes to break down the lactose it contains, so unless you’re overly sensitive to lactose then I don’t think lactose is the underlying issue. A1 casein has been shown in many studies to present a myriad of issues, including the ones you’ve mentioned. There is a growing amount of information online now on the affects of A1 vs A2 casein on both humans, and even livestock.

There is a brand of milk out named “a2 milk” which can be found in a growing number of grocery stores. My sister in law switched to it after a doctor’s suggestion, and she can now enjoy milk without side effects. I would suggest trying them if it’s in your area and seeing if you notice a difference. I wouldn’t consider that brand ideal, though, as it is pasteurized (destroys the lactase enzymes) as well as coming from grain fed cows (less nutritional value, and can possibly pass residual undesirable byproducts from grains.) A possibly better/best option would be finding raw, A2, grass fed dairy from a farm in your area. There are a number of sites to help you find ones near you, or one not near but can deliver.
Another option, if you do narrow it down to the casein being the cause, is goat or sheep’s milk, as these animals don’t carry the gene mutation that causes some dairy cows to produce A1 casein protein.

Last edited:
K

Kaur Singh

also,

vitamin Bs
work on getting serotonin down
(forever cooked mushrooms, carrots)
morning/afternoon sunglight
and work on getting enough of the other minerals too
etc etc etc

just start low and slow with everything,
test something out at first, to see how you react
really small amount, much smaller than what you think
don't care what people can normally handle
what the bottle says it's one dose etc

milk fried my nerves the first time i tried it
then tremendous bloating and gas and endotoxin and
worked on everything else
and now its OK

OP
CiggyTardust

CiggyTardust

also,

vitamin Bs
work on getting serotonin down
(forever cooked mushrooms, carrots)
morning/afternoon sunglight
and work on getting enough of the other minerals too
etc etc etc

just start low and slow with everything,
test something out at first, to see how you react
really small amount, much smaller than what you think
don't care what people can normally handle
what the bottle says it's one dose etc

milk fried my nerves the first time i tried it
then tremendous bloating and gas and endotoxin and
worked on everything else
and now its OK
Thank you for this. It's always helpful to hear of others who overcame similar issues on their path of healing. I've incorporated the daily raw carrot and will pay attention to the other things as well. Oddly B vitamin complexes always made me feel super uneasy/anxious several years back so I avoided them. I've been taking brewer's yeast instead in the hopes of getting some of the essential Bs and I seem to tolerate this better.

Vileplume

Based on your symptoms as well as what you have tried, I would suspect it’s a reaction to the A1 beta casein found in most milk. Raw milk contains lactase enzymes to break down the lactose it contains, so unless you’re overly sensitive to lactose then I don’t think lactose is the underlying issue. A1 casein has been shown in many studies to present a myriad of issues, including the ones you’ve mentioned. There is a growing amount of information online now on the affects of A1 vs A2 casein on both humans, and even livestock.

There is a brand of milk out named “a2 milk” which can be found in a growing number of grocery stores. My sister in law switched to it after a doctor’s suggestion, and she can now enjoy milk without side effects. I would suggest trying them if it’s in your area and seeing if you notice a difference. I wouldn’t consider that brand ideal, though, as it is pasteurized (destroys the lactase enzymes) as well as coming from grain fed cows (less nutritional value, and can possibly pass residual undesirable byproducts from grains.) A possibly better/best option would be finding raw, A2, grass fed dairy from a farm in your area. There are a number of sites to help you find ones near you, or one not near but can deliver.
Another option, if you do narrow it down to the casein being the cause, is goat or sheep’s milk, as these animals don’t carry the gene mutation that causes some dairy cows to produce A1 casein protein.
+1

A2 milk vs A1 is night n day for me.

K

Kaur Singh

Thank you for this. It's always helpful to hear of others who overcame similar issues on their path of healing. I've incorporated the daily raw carrot and will pay attention to the other things as well. Oddly B vitamin complexes always made me feel super uneasy/anxious several years back so I avoided them. I've been taking brewer's yeast instead in the hopes of getting some of the essential Bs and I seem to tolerate this better.
it could be the B6 - many have problems with it,
specially when health state is such that even milk causes issues.

brewer's yeast = high phosphate content, so getting calcium with it a good idea.

the water of well cooked greens also good source of calcium
i cook them with the mushrooms
infusions of tea nettles (8 hours soaking)

Mazzle

I’ve just discovered that the cause of my irritable bladder and a large part of my night time palpitations is due to milk. Since I started adding lactase enzymes to my milk those symptoms have been so much better.

L

Lord Cola

If you're drinking a lot of milk and you're not growing, adding gelatin might help.

Grapelander

Slight anxiety while the feeling of uneasiness persists
That is how I feel when I don't drink milk. However I have been drinking milk over 50 years.
If you have to make yourself eat something that you did not grow up with it may be too much.
One idea is egg shells if this is all about calcium.

Idea #2 - add calcium to water:
Dennis N Crouse recommends calcium chloride.
if tap water is low in calcium, add two level dashes of calcium chloride flakes or prills (840mg 36% calcium) 99% pure from Loudwolf/Amazon. This will increase the calcium level by 80 ppm, the TDS to 450 at 25oC, and the pH to 6.6 in a gallon of Silicade + Ca. Labile aluminum in calcium enriched Silicade is less than 2mcg/L. Calcium at concentrations greater than or equal to 75ppm have a significant protective effect on cognition.

rayban

I can't find a2 but I can find sheep milk, does sheep milk have only a2 protein?

I can't find sheep milk without lactose, and im not sure if lactose is a good idea with hashimotos. Also some poster in here said milk now has too much iodine and is not good for thyroid so what the **** do I do then.

aniciete

I can't find a2 but I can find sheep milk, does sheep milk have only a2 protein?

I can't find sheep milk without lactose, and im not sure if lactose is a good idea with hashimotos. Also some poster in here said milk now has too much iodine and is not good for thyroid so what the **** do I do then.
Eat cheese if you are avoiding lactose

aniciete

What type of cheese and how much? a lot of cheese has lactose. I tried goat cheese and it feels too acid.

Does sheep milk have lactose?
Sheep and goat milk has lactose, just not as much as cow milk. Hard cheeses like manchego or pecorino Romano are good imo

Sphagnum

Cows, to my knowledge, are the only mammal known to sometimes carry the genetic mutation that causes the production of A1 casein. So anything else; sheep, goat, buffalo, etc. are safe in that particular regard by default.

It appears that you may not be sure what your exact trigger is yet and it could be casein, lactose, iodine, or something else. What dairy have you tried before that did or didn't give you issues? You said you can't find A2 milk, but have you tried lactose free milk? Narrowing down your specific intolerances through experimentation would be an essential first step. Then you can have a better chance of finding a style of milk that works for you.

As far as iodine in the milk, I would think it would depend greatly upon the amount first present in the animals' diets. This could vary a great deal by region, brand, feed style, etc. The only advice I could suggest would be to first figure out if its lactose and/or casein giving you problems, and then slowly experimenting with whichever alternatives are available to you to see if your Hashimoto's is affected or not.

All dairy has lactose by default, be it sheep, goat, human. What about goat's cheese made it seem too acidic? Like noticeable lactic acid in the cheese, kind of like yogurt can taste? I've never noticed that with goat cheese so it may be the particular brand you tried but who knows.

Last edited:

rayban

Cows, to my knowledge, are the only mammal known to sometimes carry the genetic mutation that causes the production of A1 casein. So anything else; sheep, goat, buffalo, etc. are safe in that particular regard by default.

It appears that you may not be sure what your exact trigger is yet and it could be casein, lactose, iodine, or something else. What dairy have you tried before that did or didn't give you issues? You said you can't find A2 milk, but have you tried lactose free milk? Narrowing down your specific intolerances through experimentation would be an essential first step. Then you can have a better chance of finding a style of milk that works for you.

As far as iodine in the milk, I would think it would depend greatly upon the amount first present in the animals' diets. This could vary a great deal by region, brand, feed style, etc. The only advice I could suggest would be to first figure out if its lactose and/or casein giving you problems, and then slowly experimenting with whichever alternatives are available to you to see if your Hashimoto's is affected or not.
I have eaten some cheese, I did not notice inflamation on thyroid area, but there are too many types of cheeses im not even sure what did I try.

I was drinking lacotsee free semi skimmed cow milk for years, but last years I had some sort of reaction in my tongue, I had a white bulbeious thing on it, it was itching, I freaked out since it got worse at night after an ice cream. This made me drop milk for like a year. It has gotten better, the bulbeos area is gone but I have had some sort of geographical tongue condition going on where white stuff moves every day, and the area where the white bulbeous thing was has become "smooth". I have pics of my tongue in other thread. So since I freaked out I dropped the milk and almost hate no dairy. Now I was trying to re introduce it with some sheep milk. Im going to contact the developers of this milk and ask what amount of iodine is found.

Not sure how to know if it is lactose and or casein. How can I rule this out separately? typically something that has lactose, may or not may have it, but it will always have casein I think.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals