Boiling Milk Might Make It Easier To Digest

lampofred

I used to drink milk pretty frequently as a kid and always felt good/energized after drinking it, but whenever I drink milk now, I notice that I get gut issues/loose bowels/lethargy instead. Until a few days, I thought the reason for this change in reaction was that the brand of milk I'm currently drinking is of poorer quality, but I suddenly realized that I would always drink my milk boiling hot as a kid.

So I started boiling my milk before drinking it again, and the digestive issues are completely gone. I feel very motivated, energized, and calm after drinking milk again as opposed to lethargic and sluggish.

I tried to do some research on this, and Ayurveda (which I trust very much due to its extraordinary knowledge and insight... far more advanced than Western nutrition in my opinion) states that it is necessary to drink milk while it is hot because the heat temporarily changes its molecular structure to make it far more digestible for humans. It then goes on to say that hot milk and cold milk have opposite effects on the body, and the effects it gives for hot milk versus cold milk very closely align with the effects of dopamine versus serotonin. It also recommends adding spices to milk and states that milk should never be eaten with any meat/fish or salty/sour foods. Only sweet foods are compatible with milk but even then, most fruits/fruit juices should not be taken with milk. So on the whole, it's best to drink milk by itself, away from meals.

Just thought this might help people who are struggling to incorporate milk into their diet.

Rock_V

@lampofred I've also picked up on this phenomenon. If you do some searching into Ayurvedic Medicine, you'll find it strongly advises that milk should always be boiled before drinking to allow it's 'ojas' (life force) boosting properties to be released!

Prosper

@lampofred I've also picked up on this phenomenon. If you do some searching into Ayurvedic Medicine, you'll find it strongly advises that milk should always be boiled before drinking to allow it's 'ojas' (life force) boosting properties to be released!
So much for pasteurization being evil :D

B

Braveheart

My coffees are made w hot milk only....plus sugar of course

Ewelina

According to Ayurveda raw milk should be drunk only while still warm after milking otherwise should be boiled. It makes perfect sense as histamine increases very rapidly in raw milk and renders it unhealthy pretty quickly.

michael94

According to Ayurveda raw milk should be drunk only while still warm after milking otherwise should be boiled. It makes perfect sense as histamine increases very rapidly in raw milk and renders it unhealthy pretty quickly.
Boiled milk tastes very "Cooked"
Slow and low ( 140-150F for 15-30 minutes, vat pasteurizing ) appears superior for both taste and unraveling the proteins properly. Not unlike frying/baking a food vs steaming it...although in very compromised individuals there is some trade-off that makes the uber-processed foods desirable for some time.

superhuman

Hmm interesting. Like @michael94 said, doesnt the milk taste very cooked when you boil it? If not how do you go about it when you heat it up? do you have to boil it or is i enough to heat it to warm or very warm?

milk_lover

@japanesedude Dude I am in Tokyo right now and I haven't found low-fat milk brand... What the hell?! Sorry for being OT

I like the taste of warm milk with sugar/honey a lot.. This is what mother has given us growing up.. Sometimes, she adds saffron or ginger to it especially when we get sick... so this topic is very interesting..

superhuman

Also i drink skimmed milk. Its so much easier to "burn" it when boiling so was wondering how you guys go about heating or boiling the milk? just put it on a stove or?

GoodOlMiak

I've also noticed a negative reaction from cold milk and, exactly as mentioned above, more energy from warming the milk.

Is there any research on warming methods? Microwave vs stove?

dfspcc20

Also, boiling != pasteurization (as conventionally done).

Boiling = put milk in pot. Put pot on stove over heat. Wait several minutes for it to heat up.
Pasteurization = pour milk over a super-heated plate that brings the milk to scalding temps (or higher, for ultra-pasteurization) in a matter of seconds.

Prosper

Boiling = put milk in pot. Put pot on stove over heat. Wait several minutes for it to heat up.
Pasteurization = pour milk over a super-heated plate that brings the milk to scalding temps (or higher, for ultra-pasteurization) in a matter of seconds.

Regular modern pasteurization happens at ~70 celsius and is over in 30 seconds. Boiling happens at 100 and is over in minutes.

OP
L

lampofred

Boiled milk tastes very "Cooked"
Slow and low ( 140-150F for 15-30 minutes, vat pasteurizing ) appears superior for both taste and unraveling the proteins properly. Not unlike frying/baking a food vs steaming it...although in very compromised individuals there is some trade-off that makes the uber-processed foods desirable for some time.

Hmm interesting. Like @michael94 said, doesnt the milk taste very cooked when you boil it? If not how do you go about it when you heat it up? do you have to boil it or is i enough to heat it to warm or very warm?

Isn't that a good thing? I thought cooking food tremendously increases the amount of nutrition we can get from it. I actually read the invention of cooking is what allowed humans to evolve into what they are today because it allows so much more energy to be derived from so much less food.

lvysaur

This is true. The transient mechanics could affect a lot about the protein structure and maybe even lactulose formation.

My gut instinct is that lower temps and slower temperature changes are better. So vat past > normal past = cooking at home > UHT.

Also don't think homogenization is good, if not for anything else, at least for taste purposes.

Luann

I always microwave my milk for at least a minute. That's before sugaring it. Never even thought about drinking it any other way.

JohnA

Drinking warm / hot liquids in general is easier on the digestive system than drinking cold drinks, but I agree the difference is more pronounced with milk.

Any links to the Ayurveda research you reviewed?

Samurai Drive

I used to drink milk pretty frequently as a kid and always felt good/energized after drinking it, but whenever I drink milk now, I notice that I get gut issues/loose bowels/lethargy instead. Until a few days, I thought the reason for this change in reaction was that the brand of milk I'm currently drinking is of poorer quality, but I suddenly realized that I would always drink my milk boiling hot as a kid.

So I started boiling my milk before drinking it again, and the digestive issues are completely gone. I feel very motivated, energized, and calm after drinking milk again as opposed to lethargic and sluggish.

I tried to do some research on this, and Ayurveda (which I trust very much due to its extraordinary knowledge and insight... far more advanced than Western nutrition in my opinion) states that it is necessary to drink milk while it is hot because the heat temporarily changes its molecular structure to make it far more digestible for humans. It then goes on to say that hot milk and cold milk have opposite effects on the body, and the effects it gives for hot milk versus cold milk very closely align with the effects of dopamine versus serotonin. It also recommends adding spices to milk and states that milk should never be eaten with any meat/fish or salty/sour foods. Only sweet foods are compatible with milk but even then, most fruits/fruit juices should not be taken with milk. So on the whole, it's best to drink milk by itself, away from meals.

Just thought this might help people who are struggling to incorporate milk into their diet.

Been having prlems with milk, thamks for postin this , i will give a try

tomisonbottom

Curious, do you still do this?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals